The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Bad70sbchevy

12in sub Question

Hey everybody, I was just wondering if you can fit 2 12" Pioneer Subs under the stock bench seat in my 70 C-10? (I already got 2 6x9s under it) I'll probably be making a custom sealed box and I was just wondering if this was possible or I should just wait and get the gas tank relocated to the rear. Thanks for all the help in advance.
Bad70sbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Travis K

Re: 12in sub Question

You doubt you would be able to fit them underneath the seat. Even to fit them behind the seat, you will have to find some pretty shallow subs.
Travis K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
jbjburbs

not a pro but...most under seat boxes are made slimmer, but not smaller in size. people (and companies) add space by making the boxes longer/wider than they would a typical box. my basic understanding is that to get decent sound the sub needs a certain amount of cubic space (from the box). if the sub is short enough to fit under the seat you could make a box twice long to fill the space under the seat. to be technical you could probablly find the amount space recommended for your sub and build accordingly..
Dad's 1948 Suburban -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=563150

Bagged 1995 Suburban - SOLD
Bodied 1995 Tahoe -SOLD
jbjburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Bad70sbchevy

Thanks John, I was thinking about doing that so the sub won't sound too "punchy," but my concern is the subs are around six inches in depth (about 6.5" overall). Is that still too big to fit under the seat? I know I can probably get it to work if i relocate the gas tank, but that might be a while before I can do that. I might just bolt it down in the bed for now (the bed is covered), but I dont know how it will sound from inside the cab.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
54Caddy
GM Addicted

6.5 inch deep subs are deep man. You also have to add in the thickness for the wood you will build the box out of, the best is 3/4inch mdf. So thats another inch and a half. for a total of 8 inches and you still need the gap for airspace and all that. I would recommend you get some shallow mount pioneers and then you can try and get them behind the seat after the tank comes out. heres a link to some subs from sonicelectronix.com
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...=41&f_627=2356

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
Bad70sbchevy

Dang, kind of figured that, guess I gotta find somethin else to put them in.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Brett09

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...ction=overview

There is a shallow mount sub for you.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Bad70sbchevy

Thanks everybody, those shallow mounts look like they might fit a lot better than those 12" monsters I got already.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #9
AirSpeed

You can always cut a round hole the same size as the magnet assembly in the bottom of the box, that way you can save 3/4" of hight from the box. Set the magnet in the hole and seal around the magnet with some silicone or even some weatherstriping, if you ever use the drivers in another box you can easily cut the silicone remove the magnet from the bottom. A pair of ten inch drivers under your seat would give you more than enough bass, in such a small cab you get a lot of cabin gain from your drivers. Good luck! Aaron
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #10
AceX
>130dB Moderator

You two be nice... I won't say it again...

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
Bad70sbchevy

I never though of that Airspeed, might have to do that if I can't get them to fit. I'm going to move the gas tank out of the cab and put a 69 camaro tank in the rear. Already did some measuring behind the seat and it looks like there going to fit, but its going to be close.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #12
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70sbchevy View Post
I never though of that Airspeed, might have to do that if I can't get them to fit. I'm going to move the gas tank out of the cab and put a 69 camaro tank in the rear. Already did some measuring behind the seat and it looks like there going to fit, but its going to be close.
I have a pair of ten inch subs under the seat of my 69 C-10 and had to do the same thing, The drivers required more volume than I had room for so I cut a matching hole in the rear baffle for the magnet and made the cabinets wider in both dimensions, I had to put the mag through the rear baffle to make room under the seat. They sound excellent and have been there for 8 years so far. I have done this in several cars, I was even able to fit some 12" subs under the seats of a Triumph TR7, the guy wanted some boom and wouldnt buy smaller drivers. If you havent already bought any drivers check out a website called "Partsexpress" has some nice low profile subs under their house name "Dayton", if you look at their website under "Dayton subs" you will find them. If you want to build excellent sounding cabinets that will give you the most out of your drivers, download a program called "Winisd", it is an excellent program and is easy to learn, you simply enter the parameters of the driver and it does the rest, it gives you the predicted response of any type of enclosure you want, you can see the the freq response of each alignment will be before you build it. It's a lot easier than it sounds and it really makes a big difference in the finished product! Good luck either way!
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #13
AirSpeed

Quote:
Check these out, they go as low as 25Hz and will easily fit under your seat. These are a lot higher quality than pretty much any comparable sub. Less money too! These run about $150

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=295-136

Last edited by AirSpeed; 06-21-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #14
Bad70sbchevy

Thanks airspeed, im definitely going to run that program once i get a rough design of the box. Right now I already got the 12" subs from a friend of mine and I was just tryin to see if I could fit them in my truck. I would of bought shallow subs if it wasnt for that. I'mk startin to lean on tryin to fit the subs behind the seat since I already got 6x9s and a 200W amp under the seat. I think I might be able to fit them in the rear corners of the cab. Just in case that doesnt work, I was thinkin about down firing them in the cab, what kind of difference will I see sound wise versus mounting them regularly?

Last edited by Bad70sbchevy; 06-21-2010 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:15 PM   #15
AirSpeed

Quote:
Thanks airspeed, im definitely going to run that program once i get a rough design of the box. Right now I already got the 12" subs from a friend of mine and I was just tryin to see if I could fit them in my truck. I would of bought shallow subs if it wasnt for that. I'mk startin to lean on tryin to fit the subs behind the seat since I already got 6x9s and a 200W amp under the seat. I think I might be able to fit them in the rear corners of the cab. Just in case that doesnt work, I was thinkin about down firing them in the cab, what kind of difference will I see sound wise versus mounting them regularly?
In my 69 C10 I have the two subs under the seat, two 6X9s aiming forward in custom boxes under the front edge of the seat, mostly for midrange, I didn't want to cut the doors so that's where they ended up. For imaging I mounted two 1 1/4" surface mount tweeters in the area that would normaly have the air vents in a air conitioned cab, they worked out perfect there and give really nice stereo seperation, much better than you get from the lower door mounted position. If you mount your 6x9s in the cab corners you probably won't get any stereo seperation and will have to give most of the power to your right channel in order to hear them somewhat equally. You might want to consider getting a seperate mid and tweeter, something like I did, it makes a big difference. The lower frequencies aren't very directional as the highs so it would give you more options when it comes to mounting the mids, the mids are directional so it would be nice if you could get them in front of you and seperated as far apart as you can. I have mounted a pair of 4"mids under the dash in one of my former trucks and it worked out pretty good.
As I mentioned before, maybe you could mount your 6x9s aiming forward under the front edge of your seat and pick up a pair of surface mounted tweets for the dash corners, unless you want to cut your doors for the 6x9s? If you do use some surface mount tweets make sure they come with at least a high pass crossover to protect them from low frequencies blowing them up, some come with an attached capacitor, I always replace it with a simple crossover of my own design, they are easy to design and the parts can be had at partsexpress. I paid $20 for my surface mount tweets 8 years ago
and they still sound great. Let me know if I can help and I hope I haven't confused you! Play around with that program, it is neat to see what little changes in box size will do. Good luck!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
Bad70sbchevy

Thanks for all the help and info. I'll definitely let ya know how every thing works out. I'm hoping to start working on the stereo system once I finish getting the tank out to see how much room I actually got back there. Definitely thinking about puting tweeters where the AC vents would have been like you said.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #17
Bad70sbchevy

Well, a pair of 12" fullsize subs do fit. Got the box built and test fitted last weekend. Finishing up the wiring and paint and hopefully get everything installed Friday. Just wanted to thank everybody again for all the help.