The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 AM   #101
cayoterun

Re: 84 GMC C2500, V12 powered

[QUOTE=jb1016;4578084]I think it's still called the doghouse...or maybe the bunny pen in this case.

If we put the bunny in the doghouse, uhh-bunnyhouse, after 10 minutes, we could have roast rabbit while setting the points going down the road.

I did get some trimming done today, cab down on the mounts, steering hooked up, brakes connected and bled. The inside air cleaner will still fit, but close. Accelerater pedal will take some customizing. Will be real close to the brake pedal.
Cayoterun

I think I'll do it myself and pay the extra $500.

Last edited by cayoterun; 03-27-2011 at 12:48 AM.
cayoterun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #102
cayoterun

Need some help with info.
I know this van is a Chevy c20, conquest. I'm not sure about the year model.
It's serial#: 2GBEG25K2K4104829. If I decoded it right, it should be a 1989. Is that right?

It is the one I'm going to try to use the firewall and engine cover from in the '84 GMC pickup.

It's not a bad van body, real straight, all glass good, drivers door has a bent lip, but is headed for the crusher, so I may as well butcher it.

Forgot to attach pics. will try again
Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 03-30-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #103
cayoterun

Is this van an '89?
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #104
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

My guess was late 80s, but unfortunately that is just a guess.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #105
cayoterun

Thanks.
The reason I was curious, is if I needed to buy something that pertained to it, i'd know what to ask for.
Cayoterun

Old 03-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #106
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Yes that is a 89 ChevyVan LWB it appears. Just to set your mind at ease.
Attached Images

When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:53 PM   #107
cayoterun

Thanks, Randy, from one Okie to another.
Noticed your avatar. Getting old, going broke.
Looks like we're both in the same boat.
We're in your country fairly often, maybe our paths will cross sometime.
If your ever going west, We're just off 412 1 1/2 miles about 400 miles down the street from you. Easy to find.
Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 03-31-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #108
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Never been quite that far west, we usually turn north off of 412 on to 83 and head up to Liberal and on up to Sublette. I never can forget Slapout OK though, always get a smile on my face as I pass that intersection.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #109
JimmyFloyd

I love these builds with unique parts.

I know you seem to be using the cab at it's original position now, but when I saw your original photoshop with the long nose, it got me thinking...

What if you used the current frame, did the long nose, but used a blazer body instead of the truck cab/box? I am not sure the exact differences in length of them, but it should give you some room to play with. You'll just have the long nose as before.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:15 PM   #110
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyFloyd View Post
I love these builds with unique parts.

I know you seem to be using the cab at it's original position now, but when I saw your original photoshop with the long nose, it got me thinking...

What if you used the current frame, did the long nose, but used a blazer body instead of the truck cab/box? I am not sure the exact differences in length of them, but it should give you some room to play with. You'll just have the long nose as before.
A great idea, however I'm hung-up on using propane as a fuel, and it takes some rigging up to use propane in an inclosed vehicle to make it legal and safer. I rigged a '58 Chevy Impala up to use dual-fuel and put tank in trunk with all the legal plumbing as a novelty. I showed the car in OKC, had a fellow ask me all about the system, and quizzed me pretty hard about. He seemed fairly knowledgable about propane use. When we finished talking, he smiled, complimented the installation and said he was a state LP inspector. Still, I never did feel comfortable doing it. If the tank got a small leak, it could sure blow a guys whiskers off.

I am having second thoughts about this set-up. It's sure using all my limited metal skills trying to make this work. I'm starting to think the end result might be more butchered than the long nose.
I'm envious of those like Rap-em-Papy and others who can do neat metal work like they do. I sure can't afford to have a professional do it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 03-31-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #111
cayoterun

JimmyFloyd: Reread your suggestion. You said blazer, I had van on my mind.
Is blazer the body style the back part can be removed, and still have a cab portion left? If the back part could be left open to mount the propane tank, then that could sure be an option.
Back in the 50s-60s when propane was $.07 a gallon, They used it in everything imaginable, cars, tractors, trucks, you name it.
We had a neighbor who bought a new '58 Ford car and stuck propane on it. One chilly morning he filled the tank, shut the trunk lid, jumped in, fired it up, lit a cigarette and blew every window out of it. Propane had seeped in and collected inside with all the windows closed. Luckily, he wasn't burned or hurt except his ears rang for several days.
Another guy a few miles from here did the same, but was burned pretty bad.
Propane is a great fuel, but caution and common sense needs to be used all the time.
Cayoterun

Old 04-01-2011, 12:31 PM   #112
JimmyFloyd

Correct, like this:

the cab and rear is still connected, but you could probably make a cover for it. Or you could mount the propane tanks in the front extension part, just to the rear of the front wheels.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #113
cayoterun

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Never been quite that far west, we usually turn north off of 412 on to 83 and head up to Liberal and on up to Sublette. I never can forget Slapout OK though, always get a smile on my face as I pass that intersection.
The story here as to how Slapout got its name is that back in the horse and buggie days, if someone came in and ask the storekeeper for an item he didn't have, He'd say, Sorry, but I'm slapout, but will have some in a few days.

True or not, who knows?

Our place is about 30 miles west of 83 junction.
Cayoterun

Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 PM   #114
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayoterun View Post
The story here as to how Slapout got its name is that back in the horse and buggie days, if someone came in and ask the storekeeper for an item he didn't have, He'd say, Sorry, but I'm slapout, but will have some in a few days.

True or not, who knows?

Our place is about 30 miles west of 83 junction.
Cayoterun
Makes sense, but around here they are "Slamout" of stuff.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #115
cayoterun

JimmyF: That would probably work.
This old guy could never have a truck that tall.----I'd have to have some kind of "butt-booster" to get in and a kids slid to get out!!!
Cayoterun

Old 04-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #116
cayoterun

Need some inspiration: I having trouble getting into the engine back in the cab. Also having trouble fabricating it.
The hot/rod, roadster idea has been bugging me for a long time. I'd consider an old body of some kind that I could use. If it was an old coupe, I might leave the trunk lid off so the propane tank would be out in the open. Maybe, no fenders or hood. Leave the motor out in the open.

The most important thing about shopping, is finding one with a clear, negociable title.

Anyone have any ideas or prospects?
Meanwhile, I'll keep plugging away in the direction I'm going.
Cayoterun

Old 04-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #117
Pyrotechnic

My idea would be to eliminate the radiator from the front and set the motor as far forward as you need to, I'm talking almost touching the front grill or bumper. That way you can get the back of the motor close to a stock firewall.

You may or may not need some oil pan or front cross member mods to do this but to me it would be worth it if the engine would actually fit with the radiator gone.

For the radiator, put it in the bed just behind the cab at an angle and mount some electric fans to it. You could also put the propane tank in the bed as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:32 AM   #118
cayoterun

I'll be doing some looking and measureing when I go to the shop this morning. I've been trying to keep the motor as low as possible, so I could put a hood on it. If we did move the radiator to the back, it would sure give more room for any size we need to cool it. That's one thing giving us guys trouble is getting enough cooling capacity on those things.
I think I found one thing that was giving me trouble. I was trying to reuse as much stock dash, firewall, wire harness, etc, as I could. Last night I decided to strip everything off the firewall and start from scratch. Maybe having a clean slate to work from will make it easier. I don't plan to have any accessories like ac, or heater. Keep it as bare bones as possible. Same with wiring.
The van steering column is offset to the left about 2 1/2", so may try to change the mount location. If I can gain that much space away from the doghouse would help alot.
That might mean moving the master cylinder and booster left also. It may mean cutting all the old firewall out too, and putting a new flat one in. It would probably make a cleaner look, and not be as butchered looking from the front side.
Thanks for any new ideas, I am getting think blind and needing you guys to shake me out of my "think box". We're going downstate this weekend and play "travel trailer trash" for a few days. Maybe some mind clutter will clear.
Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 04-05-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:01 PM   #119
Rap'em Pappy

I wish I was in your area to help you fabricate that housing up. Maybe I can talk the wife into being snowbirds down your way.... I think the ideas to put the radiator in back would work better. We have to put those 72 quarts of water some place. You could mount a larger radiator instead of like me using two radiators. How about a housing or a tunnel like in my L7000 GMC. That would help the engine heat flow out the back. Just my 2 cents.

Rap'em Pappy
Rap'em Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #120
cayoterun

If I can catch a day with low wind, I'll take the generator and sawzall over and cut all the firewall from the van. I'm almost afraid to run the generator and saw over there we're so dry and windy.
It looks like this whole country is going to burn up with grass fires this year due to high winds and dry weather.
Sat. and Sun., we fought 60mph winds from Okc to Amarillo. Grass fire smoke and blowing dirt were real bad on I-40 in some places with blown over trailers in the ditch. We'd slowed down to 40mph or less and the trailer still shook like a leaf.
We've had two fires come within 1/2 mile of the house. Others have burned up homes, trailer parks, businesses, you name it.
Had one while gone, came within 3/4 mile of the house. Neighbors not so lucky, firefighters saved their house and most barns, but lost some other stuff. No way to guess how many miles of pasture fence they lost.

If anyone one is traveling thru the plains states, please watch any cigarettes, or anything that might cause a spark. Trucks and cars with hot blown tires are setting alot along the hiways. The fires travel about as fast as the wind is blowing.

Back to important stuff---trucks.
If I can get the van firewall and doghouse grafted in the '84, it will work out ok, but the rear of the doghouse will come within about 12" of back of cab, and up to the bottom of windshield. I am watching the pasture junk yards and ebay for an older fat fender truck that I'd maybe use the '84 frame, but set the cab back, extend the fenders, running boards, and turn it into an open motor hot rod of sorts. Using a later truck with open motor don't appeal to me.
Maybe after this break, and with you guys help, maybe I can get out of the doldrums.
A good 3" slow rain would perk everybody up more than anything.
Wish we were closer together, so you could give me some new ideas.
Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 04-12-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #121
cayoterun

Still waiting on rain to wet things down before doing any more work in dry, tall grass.
As said, I've about spun out on ideas to get the motor back in the cab. Too much motor, not enough room.
I've been going back thru old posts on this truck as well as "Balaur" for ideas you guys have offered. Many good ones to consider. Finding titled vehicles that I can make work is always a scavenger hunt here. Seems like sliding the cab back in some way is more manageable for me.
Some I've been toying with:
1: Did Chevy/GMC make a cab-forward pickup like the Ford Econoline besides the Corvair?

2: Older truck/pickups from the 40s/50s. Old grain trucks can be found out here fairly often with minimum rust. All of them will have the roofs pushed in from rolling the grain tarps on. Really no big deal, tho. They have flat floorboards in them that might help in mounting them, dash and firewalls are real plain and simple too. I'll need to stay with all steel. The stuff we find here older that used wood for cab frames are all rotted out.

The green truck is not for sale, but couldn't get an over-all pic. of the rougher one in the weeds I could have. The rough truck has a bullet hole in it that might have a story. It had been shot from inside out. Need to ask some questions about that. I can't find a hole in the right door where it went in and out the left side after it was parked.

I've posted some want ads for 40s GMC pickups locally and watching ebay that's fairly close to here.
Wishing all of you a great Easter.
Cayoterun
Attached Images

Last edited by cayoterun; 04-23-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #122
SledBurban

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyP View Post
Yes that is a 89 ChevyVan LWB it appears. Just to set your mind at ease.

Mitchell?
SledBurban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:45 PM   #123
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Mitchell is estimating software for the collision repair/insurance company industry.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #124
cayoterun

More questions:

If I keep going with the '84 Clip, cab, and bed, I'll need to use at least a 2-3 inch body lift front to back. I don't see any other way to gain the room I need, soo:
How does a person deal with the gap between body and top of bumpers both front and back?
Do you leave a gap, or is there sneaky way to hide it? What has others done?

Thanks, Cayoterun

Last edited by cayoterun; 05-03-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM   #125
dammitmitchell
the pollock

you gonna run this one or cruise it like the last one?
subscribed.. i love your interesting builds

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=343538
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=386042
dammitmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote