The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2015, 12:19 PM   #2601
mcbassin
Still Learning

Re: 1969 Short Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC3420 View Post
Man that sucks. I know with your skills you will be able to get it back close and less noticeable. I bet you are right about the headlights, that will be a upgrade worth the cost. Good luck.
Thanks for encouragement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Ouch, sorry to see that happen to your truck Mike.
Thanks Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucks68 View Post
Hate it for you Mike, seems like you are taking it in stride. Just keep ridin'!!
Thanks Buck. It was painful but since it's not noticeable unless you lay underneath, I'm alright. If it dented the rocker or door, I would be crying in my beer.
I built this truck to drive, not a show piece. I will keep on truckin
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #2602
jlsanborn

Oh man that sucks! It sure could have turned out much worse though.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #2603
Low Elco

Sorry to hear it, Mike! Hey, at least the first scratch is out of the way now!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 01:54 PM   #2604
boynton

Thanks Buck. It was painful but since it's not noticeable unless you lay underneath, I'm alright. If it dented the rocker or door, I would be crying in my beer.
I built this truck to drive, not a show piece. I will keep on truckin
[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm talking about. Drive the wheels off of it and then rebuild it again.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=584499
1970 SWB One Owner Step Side 6.0 LY6/6L90
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617630 Junkyard's 1971 short wide
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...86#post7531186
boynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 02:44 PM   #2605
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Oh man that sucks! It sure could have turned out much worse though.
Yes, it could have been way worse. I bet those tire treads way about 75 lbs..
I hit it square with it standing on it's edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sorry to hear it, Mike! Hey, at least the first scratch is out of the way now!
Yeah, It's all good. I think if I had paid someone to do the work it would have been way worse...not sure? it sucks but I didn't build this truck to sit in the garage. Scratches are gonna happen, painful as they are, it's just part of driving them I guess.

Quote:
That's what I'm talking about. Drive the wheels off of it and then rebuild it again
Yep, I've been there done that. I can do it again.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:29 PM   #2606
Bennett68C10

Wow Mike sorry to hear that happened, I know you'll have it fixed good as new in no time.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #2607
nasqar
Here kitty kitty kitty

That sucks man...but like you said, it is a driver. My bed has many scratches already because I use it. A couple weekends and you will have it good as new, your ability is phenomenal brother. Truck is looking beautiful otherwise. I will have to hit you up for advice on the LS swap.
nasqar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM   #2608
~Whitey~

Mike your truck looks really great... I've still got a lot of catching up to do. Bummer about the trucker tread!

PROPS TO YOU SIR! Also you'll love the Talimena Byway. Went and rode it on my Harley last Fall and we decided to make it an annual trip. It's awesome.
Old 02-18-2015, 02:22 PM   #2609
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 View Post
Wow Mike sorry to hear that happened, I know you'll have it fixed good as new in no time.
Thanks Keith. It's all good, you'd have to crawl underneath to see the damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasqar View Post
That sucks man...but like you said, it is a driver. My bed has many scratches already because I use it. A couple weekends and you will have it good as new, your ability is phenomenal brother. Truck is looking beautiful otherwise. I will have to hit you up for advice on the LS swap.
Thanks Eddie. I sent you some stuff about the LS swap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post
Mike your truck looks really great... I've still got a lot of catching up to do. Bummer about the trucker tread!

PROPS TO YOU SIR! Also you'll love the Talimena Byway. Went and rode it on my Harley last Fall and we decided to make it an annual trip. It's awesome.
Thanks for checking in Whitey. It has been a long journey, but well worth it.
I actually made it out to the Talimena drive a few times this winter. Not in this truck but I will take it out there drive this fall.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:40 PM   #2610
oldgreen69

Sorry to see what happened to your truck, that sucks. i followed your build and when I saw the pictures it felt like my truck got dented. Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us, you did a great job on it and provided a lot of info and motivation!
oldgreen69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #2611
1stchevy

Man that sucks! But unless you wrap it in bubble wrap things are going to happen. I'd rather get dents, dings and scratches & enjoy driving it than for it to sit in a garage.
1stchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #2612
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Mike,
That sucks to have that happen to you. I feel for you. I hope you get it back and good to go when you have time. It's beautiful still with the damage but I know it will bother you. I'm sure the pucker factor was high when you saw it coming and couldn't avoid it.
I had a similar incident it 1993 with my 1992 mustang coupe competition car! The retread flipped under the air dam and smacked and pulled my 00 power able causing an engine fire. I got it put out but a scary ride/incident none the less.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 PM   #2613
boostedc10

Damn Mike that sucks, at least it's in an area hard to see! Good to hear most of the damage could be wiped off though.

Instagram: DRVFSTR

Current Project: Beatrix - 1967 SWB LQ4/78mm Turbo/4L80e/ on bags

Build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=634691
boostedc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:23 PM   #2614
Dean'smeanmachine

That kind of sucks. sorry to hear. i think it will be fine with some touch up as mentioned

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #2615
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreen69 View Post
Sorry to see what happened to your truck, that sucks. i followed your build and when I saw the pictures it felt like my truck got dented. Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us, you did a great job on it and provided a lot of info and motivation!
Thanks for the props. It's all good now. I can't wait to get some better weather so I can drive it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stchevy View Post
Man that sucks! But unless you wrap it in bubble wrap things are going to happen. I'd rather get dents, dings and scratches & enjoy driving it than for it to sit in a garage.
Thanks. Yes, I built this truck to drive. I know things will happen. It sucks but I'm not going to trailer it anywhere and it won't be in the garage forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Mike,
That sucks to have that happen to you. I feel for you. I hope you get it back and good to go when you have time. It's beautiful still with the damage but I know it will bother you. I'm sure the pucker factor was high when you saw it coming and couldn't avoid it.
I had a similar incident it 1993 with my 1992 mustang coupe competition car! The retread flipped under the air dam and smacked and pulled my 00 power able causing an engine fire. I got it put out but a scary ride/incident none the less.
Thanks Mike. It was so fast, all I could do is grip the wheel and hope for the best. I'm going to be driving this truck so things will happen. I'll be glad when daylight savings time hits again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedc10 View Post
Damn Mike that sucks, at least it's in an area hard to see! Good to hear most of the damage could be wiped off though.
Thanks Brandon. Once I got past the initial shock, I just figured it's part of driving them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean'smeanmachine View Post
That kind of sucks. sorry to hear. i think it will be fine with some touch up as mentioned
thanks Dean. Ole red will keep on truckin.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:35 AM   #2616
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Well crap, what a shame. Most of the black marks should come off and it won't look so bad.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:09 AM   #2617
sduckworth13

Just went through your cab repair section on the cab corner Mike. It looks great. I'm having a issue with getting my LMC cab corner to fit right. It looks like I'm going to have to order a Tabco cab corner hopefully that will be the trick. I made templates before I cut off the cab corner and the LMC cab corner isn't even close.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:49 AM   #2618
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Sorry to see of your run in with a retread. At least it wasn't worse. Rub it out and keep on truckin.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #2619
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
Well crap, what a shame. Most of the black marks should come off and it won't look so bad.
Yep Steve the black came right off with some wax and grease remover.
Quote:
Just went through your cab repair section on the cab corner Mike. It looks great. I'm having a issue with getting my LMC cab corner to fit right. It looks like I'm going to have to order a Tabco cab corner hopefully that will be the trick. I made templates before I cut off the cab corner and the LMC cab corner isn't even close.
Hey Scott, I can't speak for the newer Tabco patches but the ones I used were the best fitting patches on my cab repair. I picked them up for a project back in the 90s. Honestly, I had forgotten all about them until I started my second cab repair on this build. They use heavy gauge steel and it's easy to work with. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Sorry to see of your run in with a retread. At least it wasn't worse. Rub it out and keep on truckin.
Thanks for stopping by Ryan. I'm gonna rock on in the truck as soon as we get a break from the weather here.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #2620
jmking9

Quote:
I'm not an LMC basher, but I did have to throw away both of the cab corners I got from LMC. They weren't even close.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:35 AM   #2621
sduckworth13

Thanks for the heads up. I had bought some from Classic Parts and they too fit like junk. I wish the people that make these panels for these old Chevy trucks would use what they make and maybe we wouldn't get sold the junk panels we do.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:28 PM   #2622
SeTx67

Sucks to see the water pump and damage from the tire. At least the water pump was a fairly easy fix. I know you'll have the truck looking right again from the tire damage. It's good to see that you're out enjoying it. I need to get motivated and get my pile back on the road soon
Old 03-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #2623
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I'm not an LMC basher, but I did have to throw away both of the cab corners I got from LMC. They weren't even close.
A bunch of the parts are made in Taiwan then distributed to different companies. You really never know what you're gonna get with the foreign patches.
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up. I had bought some from Classic Parts and they too fit like junk. I wish the people that make these panels for these old Chevy trucks would use what they make and maybe we wouldn't get sold the junk panels we do.
X2 on the junk panels. I know I would have gladly paid more for quality fitting pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeTx67 View Post
Sucks to see the water pump and damage from the tire. At least the water pump was a fairly easy fix. I know you'll have the truck looking right again from the tire damage. It's good to see that you're out enjoying it. I need to get motivated and get my pile back on the road soon
Thanks. I'm sure enjoying the old truck when weather is good. I guess you could call it a fair weather truck.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:30 AM   #2624
mcbassin
Still Learning

I got the chance to meet up with some other C/10 enthusiasts a few weeks ago at the Coffee and Cars cruise in OKC. It was good meeting with board members Zoomin, Suspect, sambob2285 and a few new guys also checking out a bunch of nice trucks and cars. C/10 Club Oklahoma is off the ground.....
If you're in Oklahoma and want to meet up with us, we are gathering again next Saturday at the same location.

Pictures....

Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #2625
Molberg

Can't wait for cruise nights.. Nice stuff Mike. Just read up on the tire tread incident. I laugh (with respect) how calm you sound on these things. It's a virtue I struggle to achieve.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=607359
Molberg is offline   Reply With Quote