The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
ss55dd

Where to start?

Background:
1971 Chevy C10 Stepside

I am working on getting my pops' old truck that has been sitting in the barn since 1983. My mom hit a pole and dented the fender and dad had big ideas of putting in a SBC in it. The truck has been sitting in the same spot since he pulled the old inline 6 out.

Plan:

It is now my turn to get my hands on this awesome truck. I have absolutely no experience in restoring a vehicle and honestly don't know where to start. I would love to put a 350/350 combo in it and get it running and take my dad for a ride.

I have access to a running 350 and transmission and am capable of dropping them both in with a little help. Beyond that am I missing anything that would need to be done beyond checking fluids in the axles and brakes and getting new tires on it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eventually I would like to complete an LS swap with a full restoration.
ss55dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
72 k15

Re: Where to start?

I would check the frame some never know with sitting that long could be rusted out or broke from the fender bender.
72 k15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss55dd View Post
Background:
1971 Chevy C10 Stepside

I am working on getting my pops' old truck that has been sitting in the barn since 1983. My mom hit a pole and dented the fender and dad had big ideas of putting in a SBC in it. The truck has been sitting in the same spot since he pulled the old inline 6 out.

Plan:

It is now my turn to get my hands on this awesome truck. I have absolutely no experience in restoring a vehicle and honestly don't know where to start. I would love to put a 350/350 combo in it and get it running and take my dad for a ride.

I have access to a running 350 and transmission and am capable of dropping them both in with a little help. Beyond that am I missing anything that would need to be done beyond checking fluids in the axles and brakes and getting new tires on it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Eventually I would like to complete an LS swap with a full restoration.

First off welcome to the board!

All kinds of parts available for the truck. You will have to get a pair of V8 frame mount brackets to mount the V8 in it. If it had a manual transmission you may have to remove the bell housing cross member to install the TH350. There are lots of threads on here about making the swap.

There is also a forum for the LS swaps that has a lot of information about the upgrade.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Replace all the fluids. I'm no expert, but would consider new brake lines. Might need brakes all the way around anyhow. Check rubber, grease. Check fuel tank, fuel lines. Lube all the hinges, windows and that. Not much else to these.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
painterljp

Get an old shop manual for these trucks. You can find them for around 20 bucks used. Post an ad up here and someone will sell you one. That way you can read for yourself and figure most of it out. Any questions after that post em up here you will get quick answers. Not hard at all no computer stuff involved until you get to the ls part. Pretty simple really. You won't have any problems. I am a girl and I can do it. So can you. But I got lots of hair to pull out. LOL. Welcome to the board!!
painterljp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
rjs53

I'll be the first to say it on this one. Show us a picture
rjs53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:34 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Yes let's see pictures please. We love them. Lots of pictures if you can.

My advice on how to get started (in no particular order):
1. There are numerous vendors selling parts you need to get it going. Common mechanical parts, such as many parts for your brakes, are available through regular car parts stores like O'Reilly and Autozone and online from RockAuto.
2. Aftermarket restoration and hard-to-find parts are available through vendors that are active here on this forum and who support the forum, and some of them have particularly high reputation here as selling parts that are good quality. Sorry I can't name them all, but GMC Pauls, MCB Matt, and Classic Heartbeat come to mind.
3. You have to be careful with some parts you buy because there is a great quantity of substandard parts available. So, be aware when ordering from just any old website, catalog company, or from eBay or Amazon.
4. Search here on the forum if you have a question about something, and if you don't find the info you need, post a new thread with your question, and pictures of what you're talking about, if you can.
5. I recommend buying the premium membership here on the forum so you can post want-to-buy ads in the parts section. For some parts it is best to buy good condition used parts rather than buy new when there are no good-quality reproduction parts made, and a want-to-buy ad will get you what you need.
6. Numerous vendors have catalogs that are fun to look at, and will give you ideas. I recommend going online and order their free catalogs. LMC Truck and Classic Industries are my favorite catalogs to browse.

Last edited by dmjlambert; 10-22-2018 at 10:19 AM.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #8
sick472

I have NOT done a I6 to V8 conversion on these trucks, but I have done a F@rd Mustang before and here are a few things that might need to be changed out...

1.) Front Springs may need to be more heavy duty. AND, Changing the front springs may cause a ride height difference and affect the stance requiring rear spring changes.
2.) Radiator may need to be upsized and fan shroud may need to be different?
3.) Motor mounts and brackets will need to be changed.
4.) Drive shaft may need to be shortened or length change.
5.) Minor wiring changes are likely regarding the starter, distributer, elec choke, and temp sensor/s.

Like I said, I'm not authority on the truck conversion, but you will want to research these things so you see them coming. The F@rd example I used had a 289 put in it by the PO but they did not do any proper conversions and the nose was almost dragging the ground, it had a tendency to overheat (undersized rad). I got to learn the expensive way.

1972 C10
1976 C10 (parts truck)
1985 K20
sick472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
68 P.O.S.

First place I would start is with safety. Brakes, steering, suspension, 50 year old wiring, correct mounts for the engine swap. Ideally it would be a little easier doing this stuff without the engine in, but do it however you realistically can.