The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Rob#2

Drop members, which one and why?

I'm interested in hearing first hand experience with the install and reason for selection of the dropmember you went with. Currently I'm looking at PBFab, GSI Machine and Chopping block, all in an airbag setup for a 67-72 C10

I know that PBFab requires you to notch the frame to install the steering rack, where the other two do not.

Chopping block won't lay frame

GSI machine setup might require some creative headers with LS swaps.

Did you use drop spindles ? Stock? Wilwood spindle and hub combo?
Rob#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
EVRLET

Re: Drop members, which one and why?

PBFab version 7 dropmember requires no notching of frame for steering. Easy install for those with some mechanical abilities.

Used CPP modular spindles, Z06 Corvette brakes with front hub setup.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
Rob#2

Thanks, EVRLET for the reply, I also still don't see how much of a difference there is between CPP's modular spindles and non modular.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
EVRLET

You don’t need the modular spindle to lay frame. I chose it because the design was cleaner than your standard spindle. Plus I bought it at time when a sale was going on and only paid $200. At that price, I couldn’t resist.

If you intend to lay frame, the modular’s selling point of more fender clearance is irrelevant because you’re going to have to ditch the inner wheel wells anyways. I have seen bagged C10s with non modular spindles, so the choice is yours.

And to answer why I picked PB, I just wanted the best out there. Very hard to beat PB’s quality and fitament.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Call PB Fab and talk to them directly.
Leave a message and they will call you back.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:10 PM   #6
D.L.

I've got the Choppin Block kit. Haven't driven it yet but seems to be good quality and not a 4 month wait.
D.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
Rob#2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Call PB Fab and talk to them directly.
Leave a message and they will call you back.
I have spoken to them and they did answer my questions like: purchasing the basic drop kit and then moving to a drop member, or buying it without control arms, or what if I bought a coil over setup and then changed my mind. They did explain that all of their components are modular and also provided a shipping quote. I will most likely be using PB fab, but I wanted to hear from others first. Also, I need to address the rear first, as my springs, shocks and trailing arms have seen better days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.L. View Post
I've got the Choppin Block kit. Haven't driven it yet but seems to be good quality and not a 4 month wait.
I don't mind waiting, if I'm waiting for a quality product as long as I'm not told 4 months and it takes 8, that is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVRLET View Post
You don’t need the modular spindle to lay frame. I chose it because the design was cleaner than your standard spindle. Plus I bought it at time when a sale was going on and only paid $200. At that price, I couldn’t resist.

If you intend to lay frame, the modular’s selling point of more fender clearance is irrelevant because you’re going to have to ditch the inner wheel wells anyways. I have seen bagged C10s with non modular spindles, so the choice is yours.

And to answer why I picked PB, I just wanted the best out there. Very hard to beat PB’s quality and fitament.
Thanks for your input.