The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
CentralCoaster

Which single-wire alternator to get?

Previous owner put on a Powermaster 8002 alternator, its dead. It's advertised to fit 1967-1982.

I want to replace it with something from the parts store. (I don't like having consumables on the truck that require special order to replace.)

What will fit? The ones at the local store have plugs for the regulator. Yet they claim to have an internal regulator. My truck just has the single wire from the battery.

Is there no such thing as a single-wire alternator that is an original replacement item? I may try Carquest tomorrow, they're more likely to know and dig through some boxes for me. I honestly don't know much about alternators. The one in my vette is 25 years old and original!

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 03-15-2009 at 10:22 AM.
CentralCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
68_Bowtie

Re: Which single-wire alternator to get?

Advance part number is P7127SE. The SE is for self exciting.
08' Chevrolet HHR (Wife's ride)
"That man right there is the best sprint car driver in the whole ---damned country!" 1974- Indianapolis- AJ Foyt pointing out Jan Opperman in the garage.
68_Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Here is a copy/paste from the website below.

The difference between the ONE-WIRE and THREE-WIRE alternator is the voltage regulator. The Delco part # D680 voltage regulator shown above is used in both the 10SI and 12SI THREE-WIRE models. The same model of alternator can be assembled with different types of voltage regulators (for ONE-WIRE or for the THREE-WIRE system). We do have options, and the choice is ours to make.

The voltage regulator for the “ONE-WIRE” alternator is often referred to as “SELF-EXCITING.” The “self-exciting” terminology probably comes from the old generator days, when testing the generator output required “exciting” the field winding (which involved powering-up the field winding so that it would make a maximum strength “magnetic field”). And the “self” part of the term comes from the voltage regulator turn ON function without the assistance of a dedicated wire circuit.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electri...reewire2.shtml

My point is that if you want easy parts replacement and reliability then just convert back to the three wire stock 12SI alternator. Or you could move up to the CS style and get more output.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
chevymad

Napa stores should carry a single wire alternator. It carries the same part # as the regular 3wire except SW is added on the end of the number.

70 gmc changed to 67/8 chevy, 454 with voodoo cam, th400, all 74 running gear.. in progress
chevymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #5
tekno62

is there a " how to " on converting to a single wire alternator - my charging system is over charging the battery
tekno62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
CentralCoaster

Awesome. I'll see if I can track that down.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
CentralCoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymad View Post
Napa stores should carry a single wire alternator. It carries the same part # as the regular 3wire except SW is added on the end of the number.
RAY134031

Napa's new website sucks nuts. The only way I see to find a specific part number is to fudge it into the URL.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...emfd+-+Premium
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
CentralCoaster

Picked it up today. Luckily the local Napa is one of their distribution centers, so they have everything, but the workers are slower than a sloth with a frontal labotomy.

Napa carries two part numbers for the single-wire... RAY134031SW and RAY2134011SW.

The first number is $20 and has a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:25 AM   #9
CentralCoaster

Done!

All this time I thought my voltmeter guage was crap, but it was the alternator afterall.

It took my Optima battery out along with it. I'm not too fond of Optima, so I modified the clamp and fit a 34 series Diehard Gold in there. Probably just as crappy, but easier to replace under warranty.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #10
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

[QUOTE=CentralCoaster;3201607]Picked it up today. Luckily the local Napa is one of their distribution centers, so they have everything, but the workers are slower than a sloth with a frontal labotomy.

The "Partsman"....er, I mean "partsperson" at local Autozone is the worst ever-I took my alternator in to have them test it and she puts it on the test machine and tries to spin it with a flat grooved belt instead of the V belt. Then she tells me that something is wrong with my alternator cause the belt wouldnt fit.
I just thanked the lady and took it to Advance where the guy tested it without incident.
No requirement to sell parts other being willing to work for minimum wage and stand on the sidewalk and smoke when there are no customers
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote