The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
JRBECK64

My Oldest Sons Frankentruck Project

Today my youngest Son and I were putting in the side marker light on the bed. He looked at me and said this truck is a 67 to 72 Minus a 68. I thought about his comment and started laughing. The bed is from a 67, the tailgate is from a 70, the doors are from a 71, the cab is a 72, the front clip is from a 69 so we started thinking about what we could use to complete it with a 68 part. To bad the engine isnt a 68.
JRBECK64

JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #2
Shyguy

Re: My Oldest Sons Frankentruck Project

Looks like a great project.

My '67 swb stepper is made of many parts of differnt years, I think the last time I counted it is made up of 7 differnent years.

It started out as a lwb '67 C-20 stepper and now is a '67 C-20 swb stepper. I am going to drop it back to 6 different years in the next week or so when I remove the '96 bed and put a '68 swb stepper bed on it.

Danny
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
Looks like a great project.

My '67 swb stepper is made of many parts of differnt years, I think the last time I counted it is made up of 7 differnent years.

It started out as a lwb '67 C-20 stepper and now is a '67 C-20 swb stepper. I am going to drop it back to 6 different years in the next week or so when I remove the '96 bed and put a '68 swb stepper bed on it.

Danny
When Im done with it no one will no except me the boys and anyone who reads this. It should look just like a 69 Long Fleet when its all done. I had so many extra parts laying around that I thought It would be kind of cool to work with my Sons to make it into a great daily driver for my Oldest Son. Have you figured out what color your going to paint your truck? From the picture it looks like its in primer.

JRBECK64
Old 04-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #4
Shyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRBECK64 View Post
When Im done with it no one will no except me the boys and anyone who reads this. It should look just like a 69 Long Fleet when its all done. I had so many extra parts laying around that I thought It would be kind of cool to work with my Sons to make it into a great daily driver for my Oldest Son. Have you figured out what color your going to paint your truck? From the picture it looks like its in primer.

JRBECK64
That is how my '67 was born, I guess it was about a year ago my son and I were setting around talking about old trucks as we often do and came up the idea to build a truck out of parts we had laying around. It is powered by a '70 I-6 250 with the old style 4 speed.

We are thinking about painting this one, '67, a dark purple. The '71 lwb stepper we just put a 454 in is going to be flat black, the interior is already silver and black. I am toying with putting some flames on it also since the front is a lot lower than the rear. The picture of the '71 was taken when it had a 350 in it, like I said the front is a lot lower with the 454.

The first picture is the '67 C-20 swb stepper and the second one is the '71 lw stepper.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyguy View Post
That is how my '67 was born, I guess it was about a year ago my son and I were setting around talking about old trucks as we often do and came up the idea to build a truck out of parts we had laying around. It is powered by a '70 I-6 250 with the old style 4 speed.

We are thinking about painting this one, '67, a dark purple. The '71 lwb stepper we just put a 454 in is going to be flat black, the interior is already silver and black. I am toying with putting some flames on it also since the front is a lot lower than the rear. The picture of the '71 was taken when it had a 350 in it, like I said the front is a lot lower with the 454.

The first picture is the '67 C-20 swb stepper and the second one is the '71 lw stepper.
Shyguy,
You mind me asking where in SE Missouri your at. My Entire Family is from the Malden, Bernie and Dexter Area. I have been toying with the Idea of painting my 1956 Chevy Bigwindow ShortStep deep purple and Black but haven't come up with how I want to split it up. With the stepside its hard to split up the colors. I probably need to post a question and ask for pictures so it will get me thinking of how I want to do mine. So are you going to put an original bed back on the 67?

JRBECK64
Old 04-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Shyguy

Quote:
Shyguy,
You mind me asking where in SE Missouri your at. My Entire Family is from the Malden, Bernie and Dexter Area. I have been toying with the Idea of painting my 1956 Chevy Bigwindow ShortStep deep purple and Black but haven't come up with how I want to split it up. With the stepside its hard to split up the colors. I probably need to post a question and ask for pictures so it will get me thinking of how I want to do mine. So are you going to put an original bed back on the 67?

JRBECK64
The bed I am going to put on my '67 is a '68 one that I bought from a guy that has a body shop up near St. Louis. All the body work has been done, it has been primed and wet sanded.

We live about half way between Dexter and Cape Girardeau on a small farm where I grew up.

I have a son that lives in the eastern part of Oregon, it is so far east it is almost Idaho.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #7
JRBECK64

I just got back from a trip to Missouri to see my newest Grandson Jacob Patrick (PROUD GRANDPA MOMENT) and while I was gone my Son's shot the high build primer and sanded it so its ready to shoot the Sealer this week. Im really proud of these guys and their efforts. Now comes the big list of items I need to get to complete the truck when we paint it next week.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #8
JRBECK64

Just a few pics of the forward progress we are making. We shot the sealer and then it started raining so we are now waiting for dryer weather and warmer. I dropped off the 69 350 to be rebuilt and now I am trying to figure out what cam to use in it. I am also thinking about using a set of roller rockers in it so I will only have to adjust them once, a lot less mess. Looks like next Tuesday and Wednesday will be the days we shoot the color and the clear. I will post some more pics after we get the color on it.

JRBECK64

Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
longhorn70gmc

Lets see, My cab is a 1970, my bed is a 1971, my front fenders are 1968, my hood is 1972 and the front grill is 1969, so I know what you mean on Franken truck.
R/

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
100gold

Well todays a week or so later jrbeck. Where's that paint!?

Why did you leave the windshield in for the paint process?
100gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Duncan and son

Bruce, you guys are doing a great job and I know how detailed you are and doing with your sons is icing on the cake.
Always appreciate you Paul and Jason
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100gold View Post
Well todays a week or so later jrbeck. Where's that paint!?

Why did you leave the windshield in for the paint process?
100gold,
Its raining and has been for about a week, so thats the hold up. Actually the paint is still in the gallon containers where they will stay until it warms up and quits raining. The second part about the windshield is if you look real close you will notice we cut the outer part of the window rubber back so we would get paint down in there inside and out. Its easier to leave the window in then to have to tape and mask it off through every part of the process. I just bought a new windshield for it because someone let a windshield wiper blow out and scrape the heck out of the one thats in it now. If I had a Booth I guess I wouldn't have to waite for the Weather Gods to smile on me. I have watched the Weather Reports and it looks like next Tuesday and Wednesday is when its going to happen.

JRBECK64
Old 05-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #13
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan and son View Post
Bruce, you guys are doing a great job and I know how detailed you are and doing with your sons is icing on the cake.
Always appreciate you Paul and Jason
Paul and Jason,
Thanks for the compliments, I just did a little accounting on this truck and as per normal I am coming in about twice as much as I told my VERY PATIENT WIFE. She has always told me that she doubles what I tell her and if it comes in less than that she feels pretty good about it. This truck should be just about completely new from front to back when we are done. I just hope I can get the paint to set without issues from the humidity. Thanks for your compliments and what are you working on now?

Bruce
Old 05-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #14
Duncan and son

Quote:
Paul and Jason,
Thanks for the compliments, I just did a little accounting on this truck and as per normal I am coming in about twice as much as I told my VERY PATIENT WIFE. She has always told me that she doubles what I tell her and if it comes in less than that she feels pretty good about it. This truck should be just about completely new from front to back when we are done. I just hope I can get the paint to set without issues from the humidity. Thanks for your compliments and what are you working on now?

Bruce
Bruce there are alot of things worse that you could spend your time and money on. One good thing about these trucks is that it is hard to spend too much if you do it right as you guys are doing. If you get "up side down" just wait a while and appreciation will work for you. Most folks buy things that depreciate and that gets expensive. We are about to the place where we can spend more time on Jason's show truck. I am around it all the time and I am still excited. This is a hard loaded well documented truck and it will be "righteous" when we get thru.
Greetings to your sons Paul and Jason
1975 Silverado 454 Crew cab camper special dually
Duncan and son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Please tell me your gonna take to door locks out before you paint it? Progress so far looks great and yes its still raing here in oregon.....

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
Please tell me your gonna take to door locks out before you paint it? Progress so far looks great and yes its still raing here in oregon.....
OK YOU CAUGHT ME. I took the door handles off what more do you want????? I got my new door handles today and the new bumpers and all the new trim and all the new seals, the new dash bezel and so on and so forth and I got a killer deal on a bed wood kit (red oak) now all I need is the rails and the attaching bolt kit. I cant wait to get this thing painted. My Son and I are going to paint the interior this weekend and then we will paint the outside of the truck next week. Then its a marathon to put it back together. Thanks for the compliment and I hope it quits raining soon.

JRBECK64
Old 05-21-2010, 09:35 PM   #17
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan and son View Post
Bruce there are alot of things worse that you could spend your time and money on. One good thing about these trucks is that it is hard to spend too much if you do it right as you guys are doing. If you get "up side down" just wait a while and appreciation will work for you. Most folks buy things that depreciate and that gets expensive. We are about to the place where we can spend more time on Jason's show truck. I am around it all the time and I am still excited. This is a hard loaded well documented truck and it will be "righteous" when we get thru.
Greetings to your sons Paul and Jason
I agree 100% and I cant wait to see Jasons show truck completed. Thanks for the moral support and I will post some more pictures next week.

Bruce
Old 05-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #18
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn70gmc View Post
Lets see, My cab is a 1970, my bed is a 1971, my front fenders are 1968, my hood is 1972 and the front grill is 1969, so I know what you mean on Franken truck.
R/
Longhorn70gmc,
Ive been looking for a 68 Glove box door so I could say I have all the years covered. The on I have is in pretty good shape so I probably wont do it. I guess I could call it Franken Truck minus one. Do you have a picture of your truck? I would like to see it.

JRBECK64
Old 05-25-2010, 03:21 AM   #19
longhorn70gmc

Thanks for asking. Here is what it currently looks like, but will be changing here shortly. Enjoy.
Attached Images

1970 GMC Sierra Grande 402/TH400
(Longhorn)14 years and counting rebuild!
1975 (Build) Chevrolet SWB 4X4 350 SB Lifted 6 inches
1970 Ford F250 Ranger 390 BB
2010 Ford Super Duty F250 XLT W/4 inch lift kit and Pro Comp Tires
Hub Cap Freak!
I need another truck like I need another hole in the head!
I'M IN THE MARKET...AS IT WERE!
longhorn70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #20
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
I took the door locks out. Didn't realize that they were not hooked to any linkage. Your right they come out real easy.

JRBECK64
Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 AM   #21
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn70gmc View Post
Thanks for asking. Here is what it currently looks like, but will be changing here shortly. Enjoy.
longhorn70gmc,
Your truck actually looks like it was in beter shape than this one when we started this process. Seems like its taken forever but its now black and silver with gold pearl in the silver. We seemed to have pretty good luck today except for one oh crap when we accidently got the hose in the silver paint. Normally I would have blown a gasket but I kept my cool, sanded it and shot over it and it looks like a million bucks. Tomorrow we are going to shoot the clear coat and then I will take some more pictures.

JRBECK64

Tomorrow we will clear coat it and send more pictures.

JRBECK64
Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
JRBECK64

We got it Clear Coated with a couple of runs but it wasnt to bad. Here are a few pictures of the truck and my two Sons. Red Beard (Chris) is the soon to be owner of the truck. Next comes mine 56 Chevy Bigwindow Shortstep. Now all we have to do is put this thing back together.

JRBECK64

Old 05-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #23
JRBECK64

Old 05-26-2010, 06:00 PM   #24
VA72C10
VA72C10

looks great!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #25