The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #1
EricSean

Door opening

So I am getting ready to replace my body mounts this winter and where the windshield frame and vent window frame meet the gap gets wider towards the top. Tells me the firewall is leaning forward a little bit which also makes the gap to the back of my drivers door wider than it should be. My question is does anyone know if there is a way I could find out what the door opening should be front to back? Should it be the same measurement at the top as it is at the bottom? I have measured the drivers side and did find that the opening is almost 3/4 of an inch wider at the top compared to the bottom. Any help would be appreciated.
EricSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:05 PM   #2
sockalaminski

Re: Door opening

I couldn't find reliable data on this subject so I measured the top width and the lower width of the door and set the gaps based on that. If your body is flexing that much, you have bigger issues than just the mounts. It sounds as if the rockers have given out. On my '71, all the spotwelds were separated all the way down the edge of the firewall to the floor board as well. Before the repairs, the body would flex 1 - 1 1/4" at the door opening. After the repairs, I'm lucky to get an 1/8 of flex using body mount shimming and tightening the mounts.
sockalaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:25 PM   #3
EricSean

It's not flexing. The firewall is leaning forward and what I am trying to find out is the measurement from the front of the door opening to the back while the door is open. Not the door gap itself b
Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 PM   #4
sockalaminski

This is a measurement of mine from the "bump" to the jam.

The reason I said gaps was the door is used in the closed position to get the body squared back up so that the door fits once the work is finished. These bodies weren't put together with much precision from the factory. None of the body parts on my K5 were symmetrical from right to left sides. Everything had to be lined up and welded to fit the doors. If your firewall is leaning forward, something has let go somewhere whether it is the spot welds along the firewall seam down to the floor or the rockers, not just the body mounts. These bodies don't move enough to have the kind of gaps you described.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #5
EricSean

I will be digging into it more this winter. The body is in great shape (Arizona truck). If I lift the doors there is no movement and stays solid. I just figured with the top off and dry rotted rubber from the Arizona heat that the front end had dropped a little.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
sockalaminski

Lets hope so. Mine is also an Arizona truck and still is. The problem I had on mine is dust got trapped in the many many nooks and crannies and then got wet and sat there. I had to replace a lot of metal.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #7
notsolo

Body mounts, and shims, Best of luck.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
smbrouss70

I saved this from this forum years ago, I don't remember who posted it, or how accurate it is, but it should get you in the ballpark.
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote