The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 PM   #26
Mike C

Re: Dampening the 4/6 ECE - Properly!?!?

I have the KYB gray shocks on my '69 and have been pretty happy with the ride?

But that is a subjective feeling when it comes to ride. But fit I can address at leas on my leaf truck. I bought (4) stock length front shocks. The 1.5" springs and 2.5" spindle work fine with a stock length front shock. And in the rear, the stock length FRONT shocks was also a good fit. I drilled the second, more vertical, mount hole on the truck and installed the shock more vertically than GM did. I think this mod makes the shock more effective and may be the reason I like the ride of the gray KYB's more than most.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
im4darush

The gray (or silver) KYB is the gas-a-just variety. A much better shock than what comes with the ECE kit. I believe everyone gets the excel-g (black) shocks. If you look on the KYB site, this is an entry level shock no different than Monroe.

Are we sure the CPP shocks are oil filled? Says nitrogen gas charged on their site.
im4darush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #28
heathbirkendahl

Quote:
Originally Posted by im4darush View Post
The gray (or silver) KYB is the gas-a-just variety. A much better shock than what comes with the ECE kit. I believe everyone gets the excel-g (black) shocks. If you look on the KYB site, this is an entry level shock no different than Monroe.

Are we sure the CPP shocks are oil filled? Says nitrogen gas charged on their site.
You are correct on the nitrogen. The KYB's and Billsteins are Gas Charged. I've installed both and gas can be a pain. Soon as you cut the strap to install them you better have the bolts in hand and the other side mounted.

The nitrogen is in there to help keep the shock cool I believe. (Same a rear dirt bike shock)
Old 07-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #29
Mike C

The strapped gas shocks are high pressure, but there are low pressure shocks as well. The gray GR2 and Black Excel-G are the same shock according to the all knowing Google.

The nitrogen gas keeps the oil compressed so that it doesn't aerate as the piston in the shock cycles.
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
Old 07-08-2016, 10:12 PM   #30
jmking9

I ordered Ridetech RQ`s for my truck the other day. They should be here at the first of the week. I`'ll be sure to let everyone know if they are worth the money. I currently have the KYBs that came with the Early Classic kit. Anything would be an improvement over them in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #31
everettelane

Not sure about the ride yet, but i just installed my Bell tech street performance shocks, i did try them on the existing studs in the front but the studs were to short,so i installed the new studs that were a little bit longer and the offset from the frame is just a bit wider allowing the shock body the clearance it needed.
Attached Images

everettelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:13 PM   #32
Heavymetl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking9 View Post
I ordered Ridetech RQ`s for my truck the other day. They should be here at the first of the week. I`'ll be sure to let everyone know if they are worth the money. I currently have the KYBs that came with the Early Classic kit. Anything would be an improvement over them in my opinion.

I put some really nice shocks on my Camaro several years ago (Koni's) and I couldn't believe the difference. Ridetech's looks like they'd be worth the money.

Total agreement with everyone in this thread, the ECE standard shocks are not sufficient.
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #33
jmking9

Got the Ridetech RQs put on this morning. I went driving around this afternoon and put about 75-80 miles on them. There is a pretty noticeable difference. The rear of the truck feels much less bouncy. Are they worth the money? I'm sure there would be varying opinions on that. But to me, yes I would probably buy them again. They are a big improvement over my old KYBs for sure. If anyone is interested, I can list all of my measurements and the part #'s I used (upon Ridetech and Matt at Matts Classic Bowties recommendation) I did NOT use the ones that Ridetech lists for 63-72 trucks.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #34
jmking9

Oh, and check out the difference in length between the KYBs and the Ridetechs that are the correct size for my truck. I feel kind of foolish for not taking the time to measure for correct shocks when I first put the drop on it. I just assumed that ECE was including the correct shocks with their kit. But in my opinion, they aren't.
The first pic is the rear, second are the fronts. The fronts aren't too drastic, but the rears were much too long.
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2016, 11:53 PM   #35
Raleighswb

Quote:
Got the Ridetech RQs put on this morning. I went driving around this afternoon and put about 75-80 miles on them. There is a pretty noticeable difference. The rear of the truck feels much less bouncy. Are they worth the money? I'm sure there would be varying opinions on that. But to me, yes I would probably buy them again. They are a big improvement over my old KYBs for sure. If anyone is interested, I can list all of my measurements and the part #'s I used (upon Ridetech and Matt at Matts Classic Bowties recommendation) I did NOT use the ones that Ridetech lists for 63-72 trucks.
I would like the measurements and part #s to help figure mine out thanks!
Raleighswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #36
im4darush

I ordered the CPP shocks. Will have them on this weekend and report back with results. Price tag on the RideTech shocks was a bit high for me.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:39 AM   #37
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleighswb View Post
I would like the measurements and part #s to help figure mine out thanks!
Ok. First, the info on my suspension. Rear ECE 6" springs, with ECE shock relocators. Front is ECE 2.5" spindle, 2" spring, stock shock mounts.
My rear measured:
Ride height-14"
Compressed-11"
Extended-16"
Ridetech recommended pt#22059841 that are 10.65" compressed and 15.9" extended. My old shocks compressed were about 11.75" compressed, so they were too long.
Front measured:
Ride height: 11.5"
Compressed: 10"
Extended: 13.1"
Ended up going with the shortest eye/eye shock available, pt#22039841 that are 9.15" compressed and 13" extended.
This is what my particular setup measured. But I would recommend doing you own measurements.
If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:37 PM   #38
Ekliptix

jmking9, thanks a lot for ordering those and reviewing them vs the ECE kit shocks.

For those ppl like me still thinking about the Bilsteins (I've had great luck with them on other cars), now we have at least some real world feedback on the Ridetech RQs.
Ekliptix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:29 PM   #39
im4darush

Same here on the bilsteins. Used them many times and they are fantastic. I had a few concerns though for this application. They are available for our trucks but only in stock length. So lowered 4/6 'could' potentially effect their performance.

The CPP shocks come in different lengths and are $39 each. With the great review they received early in the post, I figured I would give them a shot.

BTW summit racing has them. Spend $100, shipping/handling is free.
Old 07-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #40
SB'72

I have the 4/6 ECE kit as well (granted it's been about 5 years, but have always had top notch), and wasn't happy with the shocks that came with the kit. I called ECE and they shipped me a better pair of KYB gas adjust shocks at no extra cost except return shipping on original set.
SB'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 01:59 PM   #41
Ekliptix

Can you tell us about the difference with the KYB gas adjust shocks?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #42
im4darush

The gas adjust KYB shocks are one step up from what comes in the kit. They are gas charged and not a bad shock overall. Both compression and rebound are much improved over the excel G shocks. I have used them before on older cars and they work quite well. Will be interesting to see how the CPP shocks compare at a very similar price point.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #43
michael bustamante

question for the op
did you do the shock relocation kit as well?
Old 07-13-2016, 02:32 PM   #44
im4darush

Yes. Upper/Lower rear shock relocation brackets were installed.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:50 PM   #45
ECE

Hi Guys, sorry don't get to spend much time on here, or on the web for that matter. One of our customers brought this thread to my attention so I wanted to take some time to address it. Customers offer the best form of feedback and advertising so it is very important to ECE to offer components that work best for you all. Through the years we have sold ALOT of the KYB's, first the GR-2 which has now been changed to the Excel-g with very little negative input. There have been occasions as one stated where we swapped for the Gas Adjust and those customers where happy. We don't have any ties with KYB, we have just had good luck with very little negative feedback. One must also keep in mind that we all have budgets to stay with in and we have tried to offer a kit at a reasonable price. The Ecel-g is definitely a more "cush" ride that we have alot of people very happy with. With all this being said, I would like to let you know that I have personally used the Ride-Tech shocks and could not be happier with them as a performance shock. At this time we do not offer them in our kit, but have planned for some time now to add them to our product line. Having a shock with compression is one thing, but when you add something with some rebound it will definitely catch your attention. Sorry I did this in a bit of a rush but I wanted to get something out there for all of you. I hope this clears things up for some of you. Thx Stan
ECE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:08 PM   #46
Raleighswb

Quote:
Ok. First, the info on my suspension. Rear ECE 6" springs, with ECE shock relocators. Front is ECE 2.5" spindle, 2" spring, stock shock mounts.
My rear measured:
Ride height-14"
Compressed-11"
Extended-16"
Ridetech recommended pt#22059841 that are 10.65" compressed and 15.9" extended. My old shocks compressed were about 11.75" compressed, so they were too long.
Front measured:
Ride height: 11.5"
Compressed: 10"
Extended: 13.1"
Ended up going with the shortest eye/eye shock available, pt#22039841 that are 9.15" compressed and 13" extended.
This is what my particular setup measured. But I would recommend doing you own measurements.
If you have any other questions I'd be glad to answer them.
Thank you so much that is a great start for me.
Raleighswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:36 PM   #47
cajun chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECE View Post
Hi Guys, sorry don't get to spend much time on here, or on the web for that matter. One of our customers brought this thread to my attention so I wanted to take some time to address it. Customers offer the best form of feedback and advertising so it is very important to ECE to offer components that work best for you all. Through the years we have sold ALOT of the KYB's, first the GR-2 which has now been changed to the Excel-g with very little negative input. There have been occasions as one stated where we swapped for the Gas Adjust and those customers where happy. We don't have any ties with KYB, we have just had good luck with very little negative feedback. One must also keep in mind that we all have budgets to stay with in and we have tried to offer a kit at a reasonable price. The Ecel-g is definitely a more "cush" ride that we have alot of people very happy with. With all this being said, I would like to let you know that I have personally used the Ride-Tech shocks and could not be happier with them as a performance shock. At this time we do not offer them in our kit, but have planned for some time now to add them to our product line. Having a shock with compression is one thing, but when you add something with some rebound it will definitely catch your attention. Sorry I did this in a bit of a rush but I wanted to get something out there for all of you. I hope this clears things up for some of you. Thx Stan
I'm very happy with the 2/4 kit and good service from ECE I purchased a while back. Thanks.
cajun chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #48
Mike C

I have the ECE disc conversion kit with 2 1/2" drop spindles and 2" small block springs on my truck and am very happy. I have a DJM flip on the rear since ECE didn't offer that solution. I purchased my shocks from Rock Auto and used (4) fronts.

I think the dampening on the fronts is more than the rear since they are designed for a stiffer spring and more weight. With them relocated to the more vertical position that makes a big difference.

I mention this because there may be a catalogued KYB shock that has more dampening than the standard lowered rear coil spring setup shock. Would be interesting to know what the parameters of the shocks were beyond just length to see if the part # could be tweaked for more dampening.
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
Old 07-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #49
im4darush

I got the CPP shocks installed this past weekend and wanted to update this thread...

They are night and day compared to the KYB excel G. I cant compare them to the RideTech or Bilsteins but I can say that the ride is significantly improved. The back of the truck would bounce up and down with the KYB shocks, it no longer does that. With the KYB shocks, you could tell that there was not enough control all around. Truck would wander and just feel unsettled. Bumps in the road were very pronounced. The CPP shocks are not expensive, they are the same price as the KYB gas adjust ($39) and are a much better match for the 4/6 kit. The truck feels much more planted, absorbs bumps better and does not bounce. A very significant improvement.

I have not tried the Gas A-just on this truck, but I have used them in the past on GM A and F bodies. They worked well and were an improvement over the stuff you got at the parts store. Being that they are the same price as the CPP shocks, it would be interesting to see how they compare.
Old 07-18-2016, 01:23 PM   #50
Ekliptix

ECE, thanks for your input and comments that the ridetech shocks work well in your personal truck.

im4darush, thanks a lot for the update. Sounds like the most affordable upgrade option out there, to get the CPP shocks.

Question: For the front shocks, CPP has a few options: stock height, lowered 1-2", lowered 3". Which did you get? I have the 2" ECE front coils (plus 2" spindles). What'd you order for the front shocks?