The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
71'tahoe

1967 C-50 Dump truck Project

Hey Guys,
I'm starting a working project. A 1967 Chevrolet C50 dump truck.
I bought this truck a week ago and have been planning the build. It has a inline 6 that I believe is a 235? Some one with more knowledge can clarify. It has a 4 speed transmission and a twin cylinder hoist. The bed is 14' long and works great.

My loose plans are:

1. Find a set of workable front inner and outer fenders. Mine have about 3 gallons of filler holding them together.

2. Find repair panels for the cab if not replace the cab. The roof needs a lot of work. I may find an old cab and cut the roof off and swap it on this cab.

3. Find a newer C/50,60,70 truck and get the front and rear axles as of right now I cant find brakes for this truck and I like the idea of disc brakes.

I will be measuring the mounting points on a 90's Top Kick/Kodiak soon to see if they will swap.

I know from working in a shop where we built dump trucks that the frames widths are mostly 34'' wide.

4. Eventually add a 12 valve Cummins engine and at least an Eaton 5 or 6 speed. I'm trying to avoid running an air system for brakes or transmission which is why I want the smaller Eaton transmission.

5. Add power steering and Hydroboost to the truck for ease of driving and stopping.

Again this is where I want to find a lat 70's/early 80's C/50,60,70 truck or the 90's Top Kick/Kodiak truck to use for the parts.

6. Redo the interior with A/C and a modern sound system. Nothing crazy but something I can listen to while driving.

This truck will be used around the farm and possibly hauling stone and other aggregates for a local quarry and co-op.

This is a working project meaning I'm planning to use it as I work on it. So the progress my take a while. I don't have a set completion date.
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-30-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Can't post a WTB unless you are a paying member
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote