The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #4026
Marty68

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

To this
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:35 AM   #4027
mick53

My timing cover is kicking my butt. The cover I'm using from Tom Lowe welds pretty well, It's cast. The center part from summit is terrible. As soon as you hit it its like a sponge full of air and crap. So I have to build it up and then machine it bit by bit. I retrospect I should have bought the $100 cover instead of the $50 cover. It's perfectly fine for what it was made for and pretty on the outside but evil lurks within. On a happy note my new oil pan for the 292 arrived today. Those aren't the right hoses I just stuck them on. It still needs polished for aerodynamics.
Attached Images

mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:42 AM   #4028
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty68 View Post
To this
That sure looks better. I like the black and the natural (I hate to use this word) patina.
Old 11-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #4029
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
That sure looks better. I like the black and the natural (I hate to use this word) patina.
I de arched the bumper. By slotting over the square bolt holes. I cut the curved end of bumper off then rounded the ends. Welded all up ground iff. I wanted to leave it but.. the son of a painter in me made me epoxy it. Assembly tomorrow
Old 11-30-2019, 05:47 PM   #4030
Marty68

Quote:
I de arched the bumper. By slotting over the square bolt holes. I cut the curved end of bumper off then rounded the ends. Welded all up ground iff. I wanted to leave it but.. the son of a painter in me made me epoxy it. Assembly tomorrow
Trying to post pic
Attached Images

Old 11-30-2019, 08:20 PM   #4031
joedoh

Quote:
To this

I like the shape. I dont like the flat AD rear bumpers and on my last one I used a 41-46 front bumper that looked really similar to your final product.

IMG_2804 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:37 PM   #4032
MiraclePieCo

Just for contrast, my pickup rear bumper was de-arched and tucked:
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 11-30-2019 at 09:52 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 09:50 PM   #4033
Marty68

Quote:
My last one was de-arched and tucked:
Nice
Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 AM   #4034
mick53

I got the timing cover welded up and mostly machined. I had to build it way up in a couple spots and then machine back and forth so I didn't lose my center. I went through 4 3/16 rods. I managed not to warp it mostly because I was busy grinding tungsten's. I still have a few pits but nowhere important. I think I'm done welding. Quit while I'm ahead, maybe. I haven't been able to check the center since I welded it.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2019, 01:11 PM   #4035
idbeast

Well, just an update to let you all know I'm still alive, but haven't done anything on the '56 except drive it, however it is supposed to go in to get the interior done next week!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:05 PM   #4036
Dyslexic Dog

Not sure where to post this but has anyone had issues with Gearhead Ent. in Iowa? I got a Must II front end a year ago. The parts were not machined properly, I got hand written instructions, and when I asked for a parts list for replacement items, I got hung up on twice.

You look at the ebay site and it says they are a wonderful 99% seller. I question that. Many build sites say to stay away from them.
Dyslexic Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:06 PM   #4037
Dyslexic Dog

Not sure where to post this but has anyone had issues with Gearhead Ent. in Iowa? I got a Must II front end a year ago. The parts were not machined properly, I got hand written instructions, and when I asked for a parts list for replacement items, I got hung up on twice.

You look at the ebay site and it says they are a wonderful 99% seller. I question that. Many build sites say to stay away from them.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:22 PM   #4038
DransportGarage

We went "round 4" trying to put my windshield in today. This is, once again, with my pro installer who has worked in the glass business since he was 12. We tried a different repop windshield this time. He has never seen anything quite like this. To provide a little sanity, we're trying to find an original windshield we can borrow, just so we can check the cab.

The way it looks, the windshield needs to be ground down about 1/8" at the upper corners. It's wrong in a COMPLETELY different way from the last repop window we tried. My guy has a grinder, and will be back to my place in January. (I'm having some minor surgery on 12/10 and will be out of commission for at least the rest of December. No big deal...)

I'm starting to wonder how many garbage windows are floating around, being sent back for lack of fit, then sent out again by the suppliers. They always want them back when there's a problem, so what else could they be doing with them?
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)

Last edited by DransportGarage; 12-04-2019 at 10:41 PM.
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #4039
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
We went "round 4" trying to put my windshield in today. This is, once again, with my pro installer who has worked in the glass business since he was 12. We tried a different repop windshield this time. He has never seen anything quite like this. To provide a little sanity, we're trying to find an original windshield we can borrow, just so we can check the cab.

The way it looks, the windshield needs to be ground down about 1/8" at the upper corners. It's wrong in a COMPLETELY different way from the last repop window we tried. My guy has a grinder, and will be back to my place in January. (I'm having some minor surgery on 12/10 and will be out of commission for at least the rest of December. No big deal...)

I'm starting to wonder how many garbage windows are floating around, being sent back for lack of fit, then sent out again by the suppliers. They always want them back when there's a problem, so what else could they be doing with them?
Maybe they just pass the bad ones around until someone breaks it.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #4040
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
maybe they just pass the bad ones around until someone breaks it.
Bingo! We're going to grind on this one, and the heat and vibration has been known to start a crack. We'll see, in January.
Old 12-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #4041
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Bingo! We're going to grind on this one, and the heat and vibration has been known to start a crack. We'll see, in January.
I have a small glass shop where I blow , cast, bend ,cut and drill glass. Windshield glass has a high COE (coefficient of expansion), probably about 120. This makes it easy to cut but subject to cracking due to the high expansion rate. What you want to avoid is temperature differential. Warm glass is easier to work with than cold glass. warm up the entire piece and use warm water. I like to submerge if possible. Also a couple of suction cups help with vibration. Your expert probably knows this I just thought I would throw it out there.
Old 12-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #4042
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I have a small glass shop where I blow , cast, bend ,cut and drill glass. Windshield glass has a high COE (coefficient of expansion), probably about 120. This makes it easy to cut but subject to cracking due to the high expansion rate. What you want to avoid is temperature differential. Warm glass is easier to work with than cold glass. warm up the entire piece and use warm water. I like to submerge if possible. Also a couple of suction cups help with vibration. Your expert probably knows this I just thought I would throw it out there.
Thanks, Mick. This could be a big help, depending on my guy's knowledge. I know he's a great installer, but I don't know how strong he is in molecular science!
Old 12-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #4043
la hi

Windshield install!! Why don't you call Safelite glass and have them come to your garage and install the windshield in a couple of hours for a couple hundred dollars. Worked for me on the 57
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #4044
Marty68

Attempted to "outline" letters on tailgate.. didn't like it so I washed it off with lacquer thinner.. to my delight it was slowly removing grey.. so I exposed a little blue
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2019, 07:05 AM   #4045
Marty68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyslexic Dog View Post

i wonder who makes their stuff.. Spartan Rod works in Sparta Wi. supposedly makes and ships 50 kits a week to somewhere is Iowa.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #4046
MiraclePieCo

Quote:

Several of those positive feedbacks are from me. Lots of parts on my truck are from Gearhead. Always great quality, low prices, fast shipping and excellent service. The lowering springs for my MII front end were right on the money.

I'd trust their Ebay seller rating more than forum gossip. I've seen too many unreasonable customers go on crazed vendettas, joining every forum solely for the purpose of single-handedly destroying a seller's reputation - including one paranoiac on this very forum who accused me of being the seller operating incognito and then followed me from forum to forum to harass me. I couldn't post anything anywhere without this guy answering back that I was a cheat and a thief, when in fact I'd never met him ever. I see he's still a registered user here, although moderators have removed most of his posts.

Sorry if you were wronged, but Ebay has a procedure for a money back guarantee if purchases are not as described. You'll get more satisfaction that way than going public with your beef.

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 12-06-2019 at 08:57 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 PM   #4047
Dyslexic Dog

Quote:
Several of those positive feedbacks are from me. Lots of parts on my truck are from Gearhead. Always great quality, low prices, fast shipping and excellent service. The lowering springs for my MII front end were right on the money.

I'd trust their Ebay seller rating more than forum gossip. I've seen too many unreasonable customers go on crazed vendettas, joining every forum solely for the purpose of single-handedly destroying a seller's reputation - including one paranoiac on this very forum who accused me of being the seller operating incognito and then followed me from forum to forum to harass me (I see he's still a registered user here, although moderators have removed most of his posts). I couldn't post anything anywhere without this guy answering back that I was a cheat and a thief, when in fact I'd never met him ever.

Sorry if you were wronged, but Ebay has a procedure for a money back guarantee if purchases are not as described. You'll get more satisfaction that way than going public with your beef.
Wow, I have them a positive when I got my shipment, after that, no way. I understand everyone can have a different opinion, but the material and information I received was not how I would do business.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #4048
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Wow, I have them a positive when I got my shipment, after that, no way. I understand everyone can have a different opinion, but the material and information I received was not how I would do business.
As I said, no one on this forum can fix the problem. File a case with Ebay and/or PayPal.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #4049
idbeast

Finally, Tuesday the Beast goes in to get the Interior done!!!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #4050
mick53

I'm making progress on my timing cover. I almost gave up a couple of times and just had someone make me a new one. Now I think I have a shot at pulling this off. I had to put so much heat into the piece replacing bad metal that it shrank considerably. So I welded up the holes and dab by dab made it wider. Then I machined the back and got it surprisingly flat (big win). This now gives me a flat surface to work from. Of the 5 countersunk holes 4 go into the back half of the cover and 1 goes into the engine block. I was careful to center my now oblong hole on the crank when I countersunk my holes. Now I have to rebore the hole (scary).
Attached Images