The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-11-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

Blend door sticking help

1970 c10
I installed new cables for the heater controls today.
Non ac truck
The blend door needs lubed as it's sticking when I operate it manually with the cable off. I sprayed it the best I can but can't see the pic it points.
If anyone has done this did you get to it by the engine side or from the interior. Glove box out already.
Thanks for any input.
Mark
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #2
rockyrivermark

If no one has done this I'm gonna try from the engine side and I'll post what I come up with.
Thanks. Mark

QUOTE=rockyrivermark;7823348]1970 c10
I installed new cables for the heater controls today.
Non ac truck
The blend door needs lubed as it's sticking when I operate it manually with the cable off. I sprayed it the best I can but can't see the pic it points.
If anyone has done this did you get to it by the engine side or from the interior. Glove box out already.
Thanks for any input.
Mark[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
hamjet

Re: Blend door sticking help

Only a guess, but if it's full of rust or mouse nest, or doo doo, you might have to pull it from the engine firewall side to clean around the shutter door...
Old 01-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
rockyrivermark

Thanks. Certainly don't have to pull the engine since it's accessible on the passenger side. Just not sure if it's best accessed from the interior or firewall side.

QUOTE=hamjet;7823703]Only a guess, but if it's full of rust or mouse nest, or doo doo, you might have to pull it from the engine firewall side to clean around the shutter door...[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2017, 12:12 PM   #5
demian5

Does it move smoothly without the cable attached?
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #6
rockyrivermark

it does move without the cable on but needs greased or luburicated. Doesn't move easily.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #7
HO455
Post Whore

I had issues with the defrost heat flapper. I'm not sure if this is the same flapper your having issues with. I pulled the driver's side hose off and looked inside with a mirror at the flapper (not that I could see a whole lot) for some kind of obstruction but I couldn't see any. There is a spring on the back side (which I believe is there to keep the flapper from rattling) that on mine seemed to be rusted up. I spent twenty minutes or so working it around with some lube and now it is pretty free. I did notice that the shaft on the side that the cable hooks to has some up and down play like the hole is worn and that seemed to be adding to the friction. When I have to pull the heater I think I will rework the flapper with some kind of bushings. I did all of this from inside without pulling the heater box. Hope this helps.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM   #8
rockyrivermark

That helps. Thank you.
I'll try that tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I had issues with the defrost heat flapper. I'm not sure if this is the same flapper your having issues with. I pulled the driver's side hose off and looked inside with a mirror at the flapper (not that I could see a whole lot) for some kind of obstruction but I couldn't see any. There is a spring on the back side (which I believe is there to keep the flapper from rattling) that on mine seemed to be rusted up. I spent twenty minutes or so working it around with some lube and now it is pretty free. I did notice that the shaft on the side that the cable hooks to has some up and down play like the hole is worn and that seemed to be adding to the friction. When I have to pull the heater I think I will rework the flapper with some kind of bushings. I did all of this from inside without pulling the heater box. Hope this helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #9
randy500
Account Suspended

If you need to work on the blend door which is the door that also shuts off the airflow...that door is part of the outer box. To remove the outer or the inner box requires you to remove the inner fender. Some screws or nuts on each box holds the other one to each other.

You could also access the blend door through the cable plastic plug on the inner box, remove the plug and unhook the cable, then work the door by hand to see if its stuck or if the cable is hard to operate...there isn't much access through that plug but there is some.
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 11:21 PM   #10
rockyrivermark

The door I was having trouble with was the one that regulates the heat and cold air mixture
I fixed it today and it was very easy.
On the engine side look on the bottom side of the heater core box and you'll see the bottom of the blend door hinge
There is a tension plate that allows you to operate the door with some tension so it stays in place.
I greased it up and works great
Hope this helps someone else.
Thanks for all replies
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy500 View Post
If you need to work on the blend door which is the door that also shuts off the airflow...that door is part of the outer box. To remove the outer or the inner box requires you to remove the inner fender. Some screws or nuts on each box holds the other one to each other.

You could also access the blend door through the cable plastic plug on the inner box, remove the plug and unhook the cable, then work the door by hand to see if its stuck or if the cable is hard to operate...there isn't much access through that plug but there is some.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2017, 12:51 AM   #11
randy500
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyrivermark View Post
The door I was having trouble with was the one that regulates the heat and cold air mixture
I fixed it today and it was very easy.
On the engine side look on the bottom side of the heater core box and you'll see the bottom of the blend door hinge
There is a tension plate that allows you to operate the door with some tension so it stays in place.
I greased it up and works great
Hope this helps someone else.
Thanks for all replies
Mark

Posted via Mobile Device
Good job! I feel bad now because I have the outer box sitting on the floor and I picked it up and moved it today...I could have noticed the tension plate...
randy500 is offline   Reply With Quote