The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
boatpuller

A little help

We got a new laptop.......It doesn't have an SD card slot. What this old computer caveman can't figure out is how do I post pics ? Some of you are probably thinkin " great he cant post anymore"

I have a digital camera and a smart phone that takes great pics. Problem is I don't get cell service here at the house. So, I can't email them to myself. And I don't think I can hook either of them up to the computer with a usb cord.
There's gotta be a way. I'm just not very good with the computer. By the way I don't like windows 8.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: A little help

I use a bluetooth attachment to transfer my pictures from my droid phone to the laptop. Mine has windows 7 so not sure if it would work the same. Nobody I have talked to likes 8.

They also make usb plug ins that you can plug your SD card into like an external drive
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I have no reliable cell signal where I live, but I do have WiFi internet in my house, so what I do is turn on the WiFi on my smart phone and email them to myself over the WiFi.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I have no reliable cell signal where I live, but I do have WiFi internet in my house, so what I do is turn on the WiFi on my smart phone and email them to myself over the WiFi.
Ahh. Thanks Kevin.....I do have WIFI, I just have to figure out how to get my Samsung galaxy s4 on board. I'll mess around with it.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
ERASER5

The S4 will automatically search for WiFi. Try to connect to your Wifi and the phone will ask for a password if needed. My S4 has to be on WiFi to send pictures via text. Also, using WiFi will drastically cut down on you data usage.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 PM   #6
slomotion
Old Duffer

Please forgive a short hijack Boatpuller, but now you guys have me wondering. I'm picking up a new laptop tomorrow with Windows 8 on it. Two questions please; is it because windows 8 is different and you're used to 7? Is 8 flawed? What's the issue?
(Sorry, that was three questions.....)

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Daddy'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Please forgive a short hijack Boatpuller, but now you guys have me wondering. I'm picking up a new laptop tomorrow with Windows 8 on it. Two questions please; is it because windows 8 is different and you're used to 7? Is 8 flawed? What's the issue?
Windows 8 is just goofy, not flawed. It does require a small learning curve but nothing serious. If anything, it will make you ask the question (more than once) what the heck was MS thinking.

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #8

I can hook either of them up to the computer with a USB cord and then follow the screen Instructions.
Same as the SD card.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Been awhile back now but I got a hateful Windows 8 laptop for work. If was a Gypsy I would put a curse on Microsoft. Anyway, I didit think it had the SD slot either. One day I stumbled on it. Sometimes they hide those little sucker where you think no on has business being.

I tether my SIII directly to my computer with the USB cord. Most wall chargers these days have the plug that goes in the wall and the charging cord that comes out of it actually disconnects from the plug part. Waalaaa, a direct to USB cord for your phone.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM   #10
boatpuller

Quote:

No problem ( hijack).....Windows 8 is real different at first. I've managed to set up my desktop in a way that is real similar to old windows. I mainly just surf the interweb. So, once I got acclimated it is getting better.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:17 AM   #11
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post

No problem ( hijack).....Windows 8 is real different at first. I've managed to set up my desktop in a way that is real similar to old windows. I mainly just surf the interweb. So, once I got acclimated it is getting better.
Same way I roll with W8. Seldom even see the goofy icon page.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #12
JON67
Lootie Stole My Truck

Quote:
It's actually better. it's a faster OS with less bloatware, it's just different, and people don't like change so they say it sucks.
JON67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #13
Sillyoldman

I curse Win-8 every single day. I hate it.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #14
boatpuller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Been awhile back now but I got a hateful Windows 8 laptop for work. If was a Gypsy I would put a curse on Microsoft. Anyway, I didit think it had the SD slot either. One day I stumbled on it. Sometimes they hide those little sucker where you think no on has business being.

I tether my SIII directly to my computer with the USB cord. Most wall chargers these days have the plug that goes in the wall and the charging cord that comes out of it actually disconnects from the plug part. Waalaaa, a direct to USB cord for your phone.
Hey CG...I hooked up the way you said to my laptop. But, all it wants to do is charge.I get no prompt to do anything with pics?
Old 04-28-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
CG
BlahBlahBlah

If you go to the equivalent of My Computer you should see your phone (I think) under devices with removable storage. Just click on your phone and start looking through the files ... don't change or delete anything and you wont hurt it. Check one called DCIM (again I think lol). Anyway just do a little hunting around. When you find your pics you can copy and paste em to a folder on your puter, or cut em totally out and put them in a folder.

Took me awhile first time I tried to figure it out.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:42 AM   #16
jjzepplin

I love my 8. I use Firefox mostly to surf and don't see the icon page and mine is not touch screen anyway but absofreaakinlutely love the speed! I couldn't find my card slot for a moment as it had a small piece of plastic over it that is just some sort of cover for dust or something. I just keep a card in there to keep things out.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote