The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Question Ghost Ethernet Controller?

For the past several weeks, every time I turn on the computer I get a message: New Hardware Wizard has detected a newly installed Ethernet Controller. But we have not installed any new hardware, and as far as I know, we have never had an ethernet controller. I don't even know what that is or what it does. Any ideas what caused this or how I can get rid of it? I always just cancel the message as soon as it appears. Thanks for any help.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: Ghost Ethernet Controller?

Your Ethernet controller connects you to the DSL or cable box. Sounds as if your Ethernet driver is corrupted or the card is going bad or you have a virus or malware on the pc. scan the pc with Malwarebytes and then google on how to reinstall the drivers
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Ghost Ethernet Controller?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
Your Ethernet controller connects you to the DSL or cable box. Sounds as if your Ethernet driver is corrupted or the card is going bad or you have a virus or malware on the pc. scan the pc with Malwarebytes and then google on how to reinstall the drivers
Discalimer: I know next to nothing about computers. I downloaded Malwarebytes and scanned my computer. It came up with two problems (Trojan bots?) and said I had to do something with them, so I put them in quarantine. Then it automatically restarted the computer, but now it failed to restart! It would try, then pop up a couple error messages and turn off, and start up again -- over & over with no success. My neighbor has some computer knowledge and I gave it to him. He got it going but I don't understand what all he had to do.

My Avira was outdated & apparently useless so we got rid of it and I'm now running AVG. And keeping my fingers crossed....

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote