The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 AM   #26
skorpioskorpio

Re: $50K Blazer?

Well the story goes that the designer that did the 67 pickup *also* did a design for a "Blazer" which had nothing to do with our Blazers and GM nixed it saying that their marketing studies determined that there wasn't sufficient demand for another competitor to the Jeep/Bronco/Scout market, it was more like a cross between a Jeep and a dune buggy and maybe a dab of Volkswagen Thing thrown in. The camping and outdoor craze of the late 60s skyrocketed, caught by surprise (and contradiction to their projections) our Blazers were what they could throw together quickly with a bare minimum of new unique parts. It was a hack really, not a plan, not saying it wasn't a great hack in retrospect, but it is what it is.

(...and lets face it, the AMX was really kind of a fun hack too, the Gremlin, not so much)

The original designer of th 67 pickup BTW became disenchanted with his experience with the GM design team and went to work for Mattel designing Hot Wheels. Anyway there is a link to an interview he did along with pics of his "Blazer" on this forum somewhere.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #27
1972K20

I wouldn't say the Blazers were "thrown together quickly" because they share the same platform as the pickup which was already established and designed. I mean, a Blazer is basically a shorter short bed pickup with a rear seat and a removable top. What else was there to design? It made sense for GM to do it that way. GM kept it like that until 91. Ford eventually followed GM in 78 when they decided to build the Bronco off the pickup platform. Ford kept the Bronco around until 96.
1972K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #28
skorpioskorpio

Well here's the story from the horses mouth, so to speak - an interview with Harry Bradley, they guy who designed the 67 pickup and the Blazer that never was:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=442296
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #29
viking427

GM saw the Blazer/Jimmy as more utility than both their pickup and suburbans combined - which became quite clear to the new buyer at the time when they were told the passenger seat was an extra cost option
viking427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:09 AM   #30
72gmguy

I agree with some previous posts that the blazer is undervalued for now. Broncos have been high forever and that is leading to the value of our blazers and now even International Scouts rising for people looking to get a convertible truck. That said I have been to a fair amount of auctions this year and have seen near perfect blazers actually sell for low to mid $30,000 range. People can ask whatever they want but what they actually sell for is the real value no matter how much cash goes into building them.

1969 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1971 Blazer partial 2wd convert
1972 Blazer 4x4 original cst
1970 Blazer 4x4 w/ 2 1/2in lift and 33in tires w/4 wheel camper
1970 4x4 suburban w/ 6in lift and 35in tires
1968 Corvette convertible
1970 Malibu convertible
1959 Brookwood wagon
1972 International Scout ii
72gmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #31
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by viking427 View Post
GM saw the Blazer/Jimmy as more utility than both their pickup and suburbans combined - which became quite clear to the new buyer at the time when they were told the passenger seat was an extra cost option
I think this has more to do with GM ala carte'ing everything about their trucks, even as late as 1991, a base Suburban did not come with a spare, a jack, a rear bumper, a back seat, wheel covers, and there was still a heat delete option. Though all the Jeep/Bronco/Scout class vehicles could be ordered as sort of ranch tractors. I haven't seen it mentioned in a while but Blazers could be ordered without door glass or regulators and if ordered that way had a cap on the top of the door to cover where the glass would be, so you could order one amazingly striped. I think this has more to do with mimicing the offerings from it's competitors than specificly how GM saw the vehicle. The king of striped base models was the jeep CJ though, they could be ordered striped to the point of not being road legal.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:42 PM   #32
Chulisohombre

It looks pretty Good To me. Not forty grand but you couldn't get one that clean for Much less. Building it yourself if you had the time and nohow could Save a lot in the build process. But they did a great resto mod on that one. The color and attention to detail were pretty well thought out. It would have to pretty much be a trailer queen to keep its value, so I would never Pay that on anything I'm going to drive. I can't see doing so much to a vehicle and then letting it sit but for a few miles a year to car Shows or on and off the trailer. Anything I've owned I bought to build and drive it. That is just too nice to take on the road and get messed up.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:53 AM   #33
rckymtnhi

I just saw that a restored '72 went for 41k at the Mecum Auction yesterday. Seems like some attention has started.........
rckymtnhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #34
trixter99
I have no time for this

This one has over 55k into rebuilding it not including the owners time into it.and he probably has 600 plus hours into the rebuild and I'm being conservative with that estimate because I have 300+ of my own time into it?working after hours and on weekends he had to replace all the panels with new aftermarket because no oem available?and he rebuilt every piece of the drivetrain except the transmission himself?that price one ay is not that for out of wack if it's even half as detailed as this one?furthermore there isn't one person on this board that would have any negative words to say if it was them that got that price for there truck.The top in this pic is not painted at time of photo.
Attached Images

1999 Hugger orange Camaro SS
2007 BMW X5 Sport
trixter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #35
rckymtnhi

I don't doubt that for one minute, Trixter99, from the pictures I saw it was a beautiful rig. I have 8 frame off rebuilds in my history including multiple GTO's, and an early Bronco. Many have no idea the $$ it takes to do these builds. It is, however, relevant to this thread as we are seeing the value of our vehicles reach into some unprecedented levels.
rckymtnhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:58 PM   #36
1969_CM2590D

FWIW, here is what the the 1970 (the year of the Jimmy's debut) GMC service manual supplement states under "General Information":

The Jimmy Models use the conventional cab, but without the roof, rear panel, door glass, ventipanes, or door upper frames. This unit is integrated with a Fleetside pickup box which is shortened at the front, but without the front panel, but complete with floor side panels, and tail gate. The box side panels are welded to the door pillar structures, and the pickup box steel floor to the cab floor, to form a one-piece integrated body structure.

1969 GMC C2500 305E V-6 The Mule
1986 Toyota 4Runner
1959 MG MGA Coupe
1969_CM2590D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #37
meekeraviation

I did purchase this truck. bought it direct from owner at $44K. Have always wanted a K5 as we had one in my family when i was young. IMHO i believe i actually got a fair deal
Have a bunch of cars in my collection, i drive them all. No the blazer wont see off road use (have a rubicon for that) but its great for taking the family to the beach!
Knowing intimately the cost of restorations, there is more than 44K into this one, alot more. i dont care much for the seats or the wheels and they will be changed, otherwise, good to go.
If anyone has a source for the rally style rims, please let me know. thats the "look" i want on the truck.
thanks
Cal
meekeraviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #38
patmcd44

Quote:
Originally Posted by meekeraviation View Post
I did purchase this truck. bought it direct from owner at $44K. Have always wanted a K5 as we had one in my family when i was young. IMHO i believe i actually got a fair deal
Have a bunch of cars in my collection, i drive them all. No the blazer wont see off road use (have a rubicon for that) but its great for taking the family to the beach!
Knowing intimately the cost of restorations, there is more than 44K into this one, alot more. i dont care much for the seats or the wheels and they will be changed, otherwise, good to go.
If anyone has a source for the rally style rims, please let me know. thats the "look" i want on the truck.
thanks
Cal
Love it! I know I will have that much or more into mine by the time I'm done!
patmcd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:49 PM   #39
ColoradoK5

congrats on the buy meekeraviation you need to start a show thread! looks like you are $$ and time ahead enjoy it
ColoradoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:59 PM   #40
1tuff71

you said a mouthful dude. no truer words spoken. that is one really nice truck.
1tuff71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 05:10 PM   #41
meekeraviation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoK5 View Post
congrats on the buy meekeraviation you need to start a show thread! looks like you are $$ and time ahead enjoy it
Colorado, thats exactly the reason i went for this one, time and money. between the helicopter business, racing cars and family, dont have much time left over, i just want a super nice, very cool beach cruiser, get in and enjoy!
meekeraviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #42
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

id rather pay 44k for that blazer then for a new tahoe or suburban....those lose value and everyone has one,so congrats on the buy its a beautiful blazer
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #43
GhostTown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamMargritz00 View Post
When I had mine appraised for insurance, a 72 blazer that was fully restored with every new bolt and everything that never saw the road was worth only 18,000 in the insurance companies eyes.
Mine appraised for $34,900 and is insured for that through Grundy.
GhostTown is offline   Reply With Quote