The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2019, 08:00 PM   #1
mygmctruck1

Wheel studs

Like many on this site , I need longer wheel studs.

My K1500 has. 7/16 x 20 but I am not sure about the spline size .
I am guessing .560 but not sure.

I don’t want to drill out for larger studs but will if I have to .
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #2
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

Re: Wheel studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
Like many on this site , I need longer wheel studs.

My K1500 has. 7/16 x 20 but I am not sure about the spline size .
I am guessing .560 but not sure.

I don’t want to drill out for larger studs but will if I have to .
Are you wanting to go longer or bigger? I changed out 7/16" to 1/2" one time without any redrilling, wish I would have hung on to the part numbers. If just going longer you should be able to get them from about any good parts store. Take an old stud with you and hopefully theyll let you look thru their Dorman cacalog.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #3
Jcfcamaro

I went through the same thing on my 72 k10 with after market rims and tires. I needed a longer stud to have more threads/stud sticking out of the rim but there's not much out there on the market. I did find a dorman stud that was the correct size but the shank ended up being a little longer than needed so the lug nut wouldn't tighten down and I really didn't think the quality of the stud was very good and didn't want to trust it with a 35x12.50-18 tires. I ended up putting my stock studs back in and buying new lug nuts with a longer neck that goes further in the rim and catches about 3/16 more threads.
Attached Images

Jcfcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #4
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfcamaro View Post
I went through the same thing on my 72 k10 with after market rims and tires. I needed a longer stud to have more threads/stud sticking out of the rim but there's not much out there on the market. I did find a dorman stud that was the correct size but the shank ended up being a little longer than needed so the lug nut wouldn't tighten down and I really didn't think the quality of the stud was very good and didn't want to trust it with a 35x12.50-18 tires. I ended up putting my stock studs back in and buying new lug nuts with a longer neck that goes further in the rim and catches about 3/16 more threads.
Yea my splines were longer to but my wheel is thick enough to eliminate that issue.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:13 AM   #5
Blazerowner

Dorman made a 1/2 stud that would fit the Dana 44 at one time but it was discontinued. I’ve heard there are ones that fit but I don’t know the part number. 12 bolt is the easy swap. I would like to swap out to the 1/2” myself but wish I could find what fits. I would be willing to drill the hub if needed. If you go through the work to remove the hub I would try to get 1/2 studs since you’re in there. It’s a little work to reset the preload and everything when doing the job. It’s also good measure to just go ahead and replace the bearings and races if it’s original. They are cheap and not hard to do.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazerowner View Post
Dorman made a 1/2 stud that would fit the Dana 44 at one time but it was discontinued. I’ve heard there are ones that fit but I don’t know the part number. 12 bolt is the easy swap. I would like to swap out to the 1/2” myself but wish I could find what fits. I would be willing to drill the hub if needed. If you go through the work to remove the hub I would try to get 1/2 studs since you’re in there. It’s a little work to reset the preload and everything when doing the job. It’s also good measure to just go ahead and replace the bearings and races if it’s original. They are cheap and not hard to do.
Like I said , I called Dorman direct and they helped me get what I needed. Same spline size , 1/2” stud but the spline in longer than the old ones but they’ll work because the wheels are 1/2” thick and that more than takes up the difference. Other wise I was stuck with using the old wheels and that was not acceptable .
Old 11-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #7
Blazerowner

I may have to call and see what they say. I have aluminum wheels so a longer shank shouldn’t make a big difference.
Blazerowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:02 AM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

http://www.billavista.com%2FTech%2FP...520Catalog.pdf

CLICK HERE FOR EXCEL LIST

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote