The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
kipps

What emergency tools are you carrying in the truck?

Copied this quote from the "4x4 for dummies" thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
First thing you want to do is get a length of chain or snatch 'um strap to keep in the vehicle. Nothing worse than having 4wd and getting stuck inches away from getting out with 4wd. And, nothing worse than having the ability to help someone out of the ditch... except you have no way to hook up to them. A very lame moment, like not having battery cables.
It's amazed me how few people carry jumper cables any more. I'm almost never without them. I don't often carry a tow strap, though. Some folks may be shocked, but I rarely carry a spare tire. As long as I'm within five miles of home(99% of time), it's simpler to call someone to bring the spare. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll throw it in the bed.

I usually have a toolbag with me with screwdrivers, pliers, adjustable wrench, vise grips, obd2 reader, multi-meter, etc. Enough to make a reasonable diagnosis, but not usually enough to actually swap parts. Again, if going on a longer trip, I'll toss in a few more toolboxes.

When coming home from church late one night, I came upon a row of vehicles(church folks, also on their way home) stopped at a large oak tree that was completely blocking the road. There's a particular feeling of empowerment being the one guy on site who can procure a chainsaw from the passenger floorboard.

What "must-have" items are with you in the vehicle at all times? What unusual stuff have you been carrying that saved the day?
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 08:38 AM   #2
trukman1

Re: What emergency tools are you carrying in the truck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Copied this quote from the "4x4 for dummies" thread.

Some folks may be shocked, but I rarely carry a spare tire. As long as I'm within five miles of home(99% of time), it's simpler to call someone to bring the spare. If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll throw it in the bed.
Not trying to be a smarta$$ but why wouldn't you carry your spare tire all the time? Are you afraid someone will steal it? Need a way to securely mount it so it doesn't slide around in the bed? Just don't get it, not having it with you since you have one. Might be easier for you if close to home but I'd think it would definitely NOT be easier for the person that has to bring the spare to you.

Seems to me a spare is the first, "must have" for any off-road excursion.

As for things I consider "must haves" I think a winch is at the top of the list.

Of course, your mileage evidently varies.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

He's not talking about off road here. He just mentioned that thread where he got the idea for this one.

In my '72 I don't have a thing but containers of fluids and a rag. Can't tell you why, but I drive that thing all over the place yet never thought to carry tools. I also recently removed the spare tire that had hung, locked w/o key, since I bought the truck in '01... old bias ply 16.5 hiway tread. I should put a little kit together.

In my work trucks I always had a utility body with a basic mechanical tool assortment, jumper cables, and gas if I was using the generator on a job. Now I have a portable box with wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers. This thread reminds me I should toss a ratchet set in there. I should have all that in a tub with tools I used to carry when I had the room.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I spent years shaking down mine and they're both to the point (65 Mustang and C10) where I don't have anything in them. The C10 doesn't have a spare and while the Mustang does, it's the original from 1965 and it's hard as a rock.

But they're both weekend cruisers. I've done plenty of 1-200 mile round trips in them.

However, if I do something big, like Power Tour (which I've done 4 times now) I will carry a full tool kit and a few parts that will get me off the road (spare dizzy with all the electrical parts, etc).
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #5
Grumpy old man

I carry a AAA plus membership card in my glove box

A small roll up tool kit for some wrenches , a couple screw drivers , an extra fusible link and fuses and a test light it fits under/ behind the seat with a set of fan belts . No tool boxes ,No spare tire . it's a frame up hot rod cruiser its not supposed to break down .

My daily driver has way more tools /tie downs / heavy duty long jumper cables and trailer tools/chains / 3 way trailer hitch

NO NEED FOR ANY METRIC TOOLS .
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:24 AM   #6
rsavage

My Blazer and Vette get mostly weekend use. Have AAA and a set of points and condenser and some screwdrivers to change the Pertronix out if it fails. Other than that, AAA gets a call
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #7
The Rocknrod

I had a really nice soft sided tool bag I always took when I went out in previous builds. That's gone and now i can't find the one I had. So I may go with a tool back-pack type to keep all my tools. Mostly at car shows people need stuff and I help out.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:39 AM   #8
100%Chevy

I keep a tool bag in everything we own.
Usually a gallon of water under the hood somewhere too.
Also,a set of jumper cables.
I've never been so confident that I thought I could do with out them,although I seldom if ever need them.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:21 PM   #9
shifty
Questionable

Here's what I've always kept in the truck:
  • Jumper cables + 4 ratcheting straps under the back seat
  • 2 adjustable wrenches, 1 multitool, a phillips and flat screwdriver in the pouch behind the driver/pass seats
  • 1 small toolkit with a range of metric & standard 1/4" drive plus torx/allen bits
  • Scissors, a hacksaw blade, tire pressure gauge, slim-jim, bicycle chain break tool in the glovebox

I also have a junkyard tote I keep hanging next to the garage hall door. If I know I'm going junking I'll grab that off the wall, it has a all the above and a few extras, snips, channel locks, and the most common 1/2" drive sockets I find myself using repeatedly, with a larger adjustable wrench.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
1976gmc20

Depends on the vehicle, but you did say "truck":

Fair sized chest toolbox behind driver's seat (all the usual stuff)
Wheel chock
Wildland fire gear
Gloves (several pair) and survey tape
Extra oil and brake fluid and rags
Misc ammo tucked away
Ice scraper
Spare tire mounted in bed
25' tow cable
12' and 4' chain with hooks
Hi-Lift jack
4-way lug wrench
Some baling twine
Axe, shovel, broom, cant hook
Stihl 046 24" bar in the grain drill toolbox
Gas/oil/tools for the saw + hard hat

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but you get the idea. I could pretty much go contract timber falling again tomorrow.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #11
kipps

Quote:
Originally Posted by trukman1 View Post
...Seems to me a spare is the first, "must have" for any off-road excursion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
He's not talking about off road here. He just mentioned that thread where he got the idea for this one...
Correct. I should have clarified. I was thinking daily driver pickups. When running between the heifer farm, the dairy barn, home, the woodlot, town, and church; a spare tire is very seldom needed, and often in the way. There's no way I'd hang a spare tire under the truck. Too much to go wrong with that one.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:02 PM   #12
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipps View Post
Correct. I should have clarified. I was thinking daily driver pickups. When running between the heifer farm, the dairy barn, home, the woodlot, town, and church; a spare tire is very seldom needed, and often in the way. There's no way I'd hang a spare tire under the truck. Too much to go wrong with that one.
Well … assuming you're in an area with cell phone service, and assuming your wife is able to load a hundred pound dirty tire/wheel into the car, and that the car can even get to where your pickup has a flat tire

My spare is mounted upright against the driver's side of the bed in front of the wheel well. It doesn't really take up much useful space. I do really miss my old stepside that had the outside spare tire mount and the cut out fender.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 04:58 PM   #13
truckster

In addition to hand tools, I carry 2 tourniquets, packing gauze, and assorted other first aid supplies.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: What emergency tools are you carrying in the truck?

All my classic cars have a minimum of stuff.

First is a Harbor Freight floor jack 2.5ton. 2'x 6"x8" board to put it on if needed. A mat to lay on if need be are to lay parts on which ever. Socket with pull handle to take the lugnuts off with. Spare tire and gloves. Jumper cables, screw drivers assortment channel locks, wire cutters, stripper, vacuum hose and roll of wire and assortment of butt connectors. Hand wipes and towels and a few rags to clean hands before driving off.

If I'm going on a long trip like Jesse said the HRPT I add things such as my big tool box if in the truck. Jack stands rain coat & pants. Battery box. Battery drill flash light
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote