The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #1
mygmctruck1

My Frustration Level High

This 68 GMC k1500 truck is going drive me insane ! This being a one of a kind year makes it almost impossible to complete anything with out something else cropping up .
Could not find the longer 7/16 wheel studs with .56 spline , so had to go with a set of 1/2” x 20 x.56 spline. Everything worked out except now the brake drums have to be re drilled because the stud holes are to small. Why because in order the get a longer studs I also had to settle for a longer spline which interferes with the brake drum stud holes. Try getting a new set of original style springs for this thing , not going to happen . Eaton made me a set but nothing like the originals .
The drive shaft is another never thing , no one ever saw this stinking pencil style drive shaft . So had to have one made , power steering ? That was fun ! Now my newest project , power assist brakes and I can see problems coming already . I have 7 months left to get this thing on the road for a cruise to N.Y this spring. At this rate I’ll be every day for the 7 months getting it road worthy.
They only made about 500 of these things and I think I have one of maybe
A half dozen left in the country. In fact they made so few of them , an old GMC sales person swore they never made my truck . When he saw it , he still wondered were he was when it was being sold.
Ok , that’s my rant . Back to the garage to work out another issue !
mygmctruck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
HO455
Post Whore

Re: My Frustration Level High

Okay. Deep breath now. And take comfort in that your not working on something obscure like an Avanti, a Checker or an International, whom the counter person at the parts store has never even heard of.
And everyday the list of things to do gets smaller and the list of things you can be proud overcoming of gets longer.
Good work!
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Sorry to hear about that, but thanks for sharing. It took me a long time to get mine road-worthy. Some of the time was spent on buying stuff that was not really well suited to the truck and then I had to do it again. So everything took twice as long while I learned my lessons. Nowadays I spend tons of time researching stuff to make sure I'm getting good stock-like parts, and buying stuff here from you guys in the parts section of the forum when I need something obscure that I can't just find locally or if I can't buy of sufficient quality from the catalog/online companies. I'm becoming a fan of good used parts. I don't settle for something that just works, because in my experience it often only works for 5 minutes and then craps out if I go cheap or go with what's readily available. I am able to work on comfort items and options more now, and managing to keep up with essential mechanical and electrical stuff that breaks down only occasionally. It is exhausting, but it's coming together. It sounds like your truck was heavily modified before; I can understand it would be difficult putting things back to "normal".
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #4
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Sorry to hear about that, but thanks for sharing. It took me a long time to get mine road-worthy. Some of the time was spent on buying stuff that was not really well suited to the truck and then I had to do it again. So everything took twice as long while I learned my lessons. Nowadays I spend tons of time researching stuff to make sure I'm getting good stock-like parts, and buying stuff here from you guys in the parts section of the forum when I need something obscure that I can't just find locally or if I can't buy of sufficient quality from the catalog/online companies. I'm becoming a fan of good used parts. I don't settle for something that just works, because in my experience it often only works for 5 minutes and then craps out if I go cheap or go with what's readily available. I am able to work on comfort items and options more now, and managing to keep up with essential mechanical and electrical stuff that breaks down only occasionally. It is exhausting, but it's coming together. It sounds like your truck was heavily modified before; I can understand it would be difficult putting things back to "normal".
No not modified , just a 1 yr design and not many made . Besides some stuff like power brakes were not stock but needed , power steering was the old slave cylinder , I wanted a PSB , the leaf springs were very stiff 2 leaf and hard on the truck drive axle ‘s and frame . Because of that , I had a cracked frame and busted rear axle . when I put the engine in the truck had a V6 and not set up for a V8 , I put in a 700r tranny and drive shaft wasn’t going to work because it was to small. Yet it was ok for the V6 .
Any how it’s a heck of a learning experience .
Old 11-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #5
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Okay. Deep breath now. And take comfort in that your not working on something obscure like an Avanti, a Checker or an International, whom the counter person at the parts store has never even heard of.
And everyday the list of things to do gets smaller and the list of things you can be proud overcoming of gets longer.
Good work!
I’m good , just felt like getting it off my chest.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: My Frustration Level High

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygmctruck1 View Post
This 68 GMC k1500 truck is going drive me insane ! This being a one of a kind year makes it almost impossible to complete anything with out something else cropping up .
Could not find the longer 7/16 wheel studs with .56 spline , so had to go with a set of 1/2” x 20 x.56 spline. Everything worked out except now the brake drums have to be re drilled because the stud holes are to small. Why because in order the get a longer studs I also had to settle for a longer spline which interferes with the brake drum stud holes. Try getting a new set of original style springs for this thing , not going to happen . Eaton made me a set but nothing like the originals .
The drive shaft is another never thing , no one ever saw this stinking pencil style drive shaft . So had to have one made , power steering ? That was fun ! Now my newest project , power assist brakes and I can see problems coming already . I have 7 months left to get this thing on the road for a cruise to N.Y this spring. At this rate I’ll be every day for the 7 months getting it road worthy.
They only made about 500 of these things and I think I have one of maybe
A half dozen left in the country. In fact they made so few of them , an old GMC sales person swore they never made my truck . When he saw it , he still wondered were he was when it was being sold.
Ok , that’s my rant . Back to the garage to work out another issue !
Seems like GM had a lot of one off's in 68 from what I have read and seen. I have 2 good friends and they both have 68 GM cars. One a 68 GTO the other has a 68 Impala SS. They to are having hard time finding the parts to complete them. I have a 68 C 10 truck I'm working on now myself for my daughter. If you need something let me know. I have bought another frame and have the whole rolling LWB frame. I'm putting a 700r4 in mine and already had the 1 piece drive shaft built for it.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.

Last edited by Andy4639; 11-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
dmjlambert

Quote:
No not modified , just a 1 yr design and not many made . Besides some stuff like power brakes were not stock but needed , power steering was the old slave cylinder , I wanted a PSB , the leaf springs were very stiff 2 leaf and hard on the truck drive axle ‘s and frame . Because of that , I had a cracked frame and busted rear axle . when I put the engine in the truck had a V6 and not set up for a V8 , I put in a 700r tranny and drive shaft wasn’t going to work because it was to small. Yet it was ok for the V6 .
Any how it’s a heck of a learning experience .
That is interesting. What are the things other than V6, power steering, and drive shaft that were not typical 67-72? I have heard the leaf springs are stiff and the GMCs don't have the same rides-like-a-car suspension because they were considered the harder working cousins to the Chevys. I wonder if people often swap out the whole rear suspension from a Chevy parts truck.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
That is interesting. What are the things other than V6, power steering, and drive shaft that were not typical 67-72? I have heard the leaf springs are stiff and the GMCs don't have the same rides-like-a-car suspension because they were considered the harder working cousins to the Chevys. I wonder if people often swap out the whole rear suspension from a Chevy parts truck.
I actualy bought this truck in 78 and parts would have been readily availible but it was driver & running then . I tore it down in 84 to restore it and an now getting it done.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

I didn't know if I wanted to step into this one or not! I have a question. How much did you know about a '68 K1500 when you decided to go about this restoration? Ok. Well, you're learnin' . That too is what this restoration thing is all about. It ain't no kit

The spring width on 4wds changed to narrower after '68. '69 has the same drivetrain and was last year for V6. Steering changed in '70 as well as new transmissions and transfer case came out. Basically, drivetrain changed except rear. Then disc brakes on same front end in '71. A lot of people go with swapping to later components for convenience, parts availability, serviceability, upgrading. Restoring to original is never the easiest route. You take a direction and keep going until it's done. Maybe move to another thing when something gets frustrating. You'll get it done.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 11-13-2019 at 10:40 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
whtgmc68

I have a 68 GMC K1500 and I was unaware that it was rare at all other than being 4wd. I bought it when I lived in CA and the original front differential was long gone and the transfer case had been replaced with a NP205. I have since changed the complete drivetrain as I wanted a heavy axled driver with an OD manual transmission.

I might have gone a different route, if I had known they were so hard to come by!
whtgmc68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: My Frustration Level High

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I didn't know if I wanted to step into this one or not! I have a question. How much did you know about a '68 K1500 when you decided to go about this restoration? Ok. Well, you're learnin' . That too is what this restoration thing is all about. It ain't no kit

The spring width on 4wds changed to narrower after '68. '69 has the same drivetrain and was last year for V6. Steering changed in '70 as well as new transmissions and transfer case came out. Basically, drivetrain changed except rear. Then disc brakes on same front end in '71. A lot of people go with swapping to later components for convenience, parts availability, serviceability, upgrading. Restoring to original is never the easiest route. You take a direction and keep going until it's done. Maybe move to another thing when something gets frustrating. You'll get it done.
Hey Tim check out those 68 shifter rods man! All original and never been took off the truck 1968!
I got some better pictures of them than before!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-13-2019, 11:53 AM   #12
palallin

I find it hard to believe that any drive shaft that will handle the V6 is not enough for your V8.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #13
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by palallin View Post
I find it hard to believe that any drive shaft that will handle the V6 is not enough for your V8.
The K1500 v-6 drive shaft is half the dia of the V-8 not only that the end that goes into tranny was a male spline no a typical female yoke.
Old 11-13-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
mygmctruck1

Quote:

I tore this truck apart when it was still considered a normal truck. How in the heck in 1984 would anyone think this was anything but a bastard truck. In fact many of the people I talked to said Chevy was the same truck 67-68-69 . Besides there were so few of them around no one knew enough about them to be of any help.
I am not *****ing about this , just frustrated , mostly because no one has many answers for this truck.
When I called Dorman about longer wheel studs , he chuckled when I told him it was a 68 K1500. Then he helped me with what he could.
I already restored a 69 Mustang Mach 1 , a peace of cake compared to this.

This truck wasn’t supposed to be like a stutz bear cat , or a Cord just a regular 4x4 truck.
Old 11-13-2019, 02:41 PM   #15
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
I’m good , just felt like getting it off my chest.
I'm glad to hear that. I can relate to your feelings, I have a 70 Javelin.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I tore this truck apart when it was still considered a normal truck. How in the heck in 1984 would anyone think this was anything but a bastard truck. In fact many of the people I talked to said Chevy was the same truck 67-68-69 . Besides there were so few of them around no one knew enough about them to be of any help.
I am not *****ing about this , just frustrated , mostly because no one has many answers for this truck.
When I called Dorman about longer wheel studs , he chuckled when I told him it was a 68 K1500. Then he helped me with what he could.
I already restored a 69 Mustang Mach 1 , a peace of cake compared to this.

This truck wasn’t supposed to be like a stutz bear cat , or a Cord just a regular 4x4 truck.
Other than the V6 and maybe the rear if it's a Dana, the Chevys are the same as GMCs in the same year. Sounds like you've been looking for answers in the wrong places. Lots of hear-say when you need facts. The facts are here.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 PM   #17
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Other than the V6 and maybe the rear if it's a Dana, the Chevys are the same as GMCs in the same year. Sounds like you've been looking for answers in the wrong places. Lots of hear-say when you need facts. The facts are here.
You obviously have never worked on a GMC 68 K1500
Have you ever owned one or worked on one ? From you answers most likely not .
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM   #18
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Oh no
kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #19
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
I might know a little. I'm guessing you haven't read too many of my answers. With a better attitude from you, I believe between me and my buddies here we could answer any question you have on that truck. After all, you did manage to stumble onto the single best resource for information on these trucks in the world. Time to stop whining and take advantage of that, you can save yourself a lot of grief and make a lot of friends in the process.

Tim

Old 11-14-2019, 08:54 AM   #20
biketopia

Im sure ARP would of had a solution to your wheel stud issue, if not they could of made you one.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #21
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: My Frustration Level High

I just finished building my whole 68 Chevy rear end and put all new studs in them. O-Reilly's had them in stock. I got 1/2" longer studs also. The Boss wheels are deeper than stock rally wheels so I wanted plenty of threads.

Quote:
That's funny right there!

Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
HAHAHAHA!

Tim has forgot more about these trucks than most of us will ever know.

Lighten up Francis...

Your truck might be "rare", but it is still a 67-72 truck, and you're not experiencing anything that can't be done with some fab work or networking.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.

Last edited by GASoline71; 11-14-2019 at 12:18 PM.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #23
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
I'm going to to stay out of this. But you have a ton of knowledge here. All you need to do is ask. There's also parts available too. I hope your frustration subsides. Have a great day.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:51 PM   #24
mygmctruck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'm going to to stay out of this. But you have a ton of knowledge here. All you need to do is ask. There's also parts available too. I hope your frustration subsides. Have a great day.
Well the answers I have gotten that are related directly to my k1500 from other K1500 truck have been good. But I’ll say it again , when it comes to the
68 GMC K1500 , drive train , there is very little that the Chevy K10 has in common .
From the frame up , everything in a cake walk . You know when the Dorman rep almost laughed when he heard I was trying to do a 68 K1500 , that should tell you some thing. His comment to me after some conversation , that was a B truck yr for gmc as you are finding out.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

I bet he laughed because you said 1968. Tell me what length stud you needed.

I told you the facts on what is different between the Chevy and GMC in '68. Nothing that isn't different any other year. GMCs ran Dana rears and Chevys ran corporate. And, through '69 GMC offered the V6 that Chevy never did. What makes you think a Dorman employee would be an expert on this year and model truck? BTW, your figures on how many were made and how many are left (How do you know?) are way off. If you want to know the actual production numbers I'm sure there are dozens of members here who could give you the actual facts. But nobody knows how many are left running around.

You are getting help here and you are fighting it. We have nothing to gain by offering misleading information or giving you a false impression. We are a network here. What info one guy can't find another guy might have and we are ready to share. If how things work here don't work for you I believe you will be the first one. Many a truck owner has come here lost and bewildered to walk away with the info they needed. I'd like to help you with any other issues you run into, if I can. You're not done yet, right?

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 11-18-2019 at 08:31 AM.