The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Daddy'O

72 C20 for sale add - 110 miles - thinks it's legit?

I saw this truck in person about a year ago and they wanted well over $30K for it then. The odometer only had 107 miles on it when I saw it and they said it was for real. Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable on these trucks I find it odd there is no SPID on the glove box door, not to mention the aftermarket shocks, exhaust, and radio. The other thing I'm not sure of is the color of the tailgate - shouldn't it be white and orange? Don't get me wrong this is a very nice truck, but now I am questioning the story the salesman told me over a year ago.

What do you all think?

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Deta...EVROLET&Model=

Thanks!

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: 72 C20 for sale add - 110 miles - thinks it's legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy'O View Post
I saw this truck in person about a year ago and they wanted well over $30K for it then. The odometer only had 107 miles on it when I saw it and they said it was for real. Now that I'm a little more knowledgeable on these trucks I find it odd there is no SPID on the glove box door, not to mention the aftermarket shocks, exhaust, and radio. The other thing I'm not sure of is the color of the tailgate - shouldn't it be white and orange? Don't get me wrong this is a very nice truck, but now I am questioning the story the salesman told me over a year ago.

What do you all think?

http://www.autabuy.com/Vehicles/Deta...EVROLET&Model=

Thanks!

I think they mean 107 miles since the restoration. They obviously don't mean they restored a truck with 107 original miles on it...

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
srea76

I agree it says restored. I am thinking the same. Kinda steep for a long wheel base. And personally I do not like the solid color gate with the 2 tone truck.

Red Baron-72 c10 Project
srea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
jocko

yep, if that's original, I'm a monkey's uncle....
Apparently ran out of white paint for the tailgate - a BEAUTIFUL restoration, and solid red tailgate. Not bashing.......... Just don't get little things like that when so much effort has been gone to to make a BEAUTIFUL truck.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Goddang that's nice! TOO nice! I'd be afraid to drive it!
First thing I would do is ditch those wheels. It's just begging for white steelies and dogdishes!
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/

Last edited by N2TRUX; 06-14-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Daddy'O

A year ago my youngest son was taking driver’s education in a town 30 miles from home. I would take him to class and I would go looking for cars and trucks while waiting for him to finish class. At the time my son wanted us to redo an El Camino (he later changed his mind and we got his truck he named Nancy) so that’s what we were looking for. I stopped by this newer dealership in town and discovered (by accident) it had quite the collection of older vehicles.

I was greeted by a salesman and I asked if they had any older vehicles in stock. The salesman smiled and asked what are you looking for? I said an early 70’s El Camino. The salesman said, follow me. We went to the back and in a huge warehouse (which used to be an old Payless Cashways lumber yard – pre Home Depot type of place) and low and behold every car nuts dream – close to a hundred vehicles. Salesman said here are some El Caminos – a 1972, 1974, 1977, and a 1986. He said he wasn’t sure if they were for sale but could make a phone call to find out. He said the owner of the dealership (actually multiple dealerships) is into collecting cars and trucks so some were for sale and some were not. This is where I first saw this 72 C20 – the salesman said the owner found it 10 years ago in original condition with only 90 something miles on it and decided to restore it to factory new. Not being as knowledgeable as I am now I believed him and asked how much for a truck like this? He said he wasn’t sure if it was for sale but could check. I said fine, get a price on it and the 72 El Camino. He came back with $36K on the C20 and the El Camino was not for sale.

We talked some more and I asked where did this guy find these things – I mean some of them are quite odd to be collecting. He responded the owner really like old family sedans and station wagons especially with super low miles. In fact he liked anything with low miles and said he was into auctions but several of the vehicles were actual trades. Take a closer look at some of the cars he’s offering and you will see what I’m talking about.

http://www.autabuy.com/Dealers/Brows...HAM%20CHRYSLER

So now having more knowledge I’m questioning how original this truck really is. I mean, if the truck was found with 90 miles on it 10 to 11 years ago would it need a restoration? If it did, then why not a true correct restoration? I wouldn’t think the original exhaust or shocks would need to be replaced with after market stuff. The fact the SPID is missing and the tailgate color seems incorrect really has me confused. I am hoping some of the experts on here can give their opinions. I hope to take a drive over there next week and see if the story I was told a year ago holds true today and to see if there is any documentation that can substantiate the story.

Thanks everyone!

Our Shop Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=620966
'55 Wagon Build - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689157
1971 Cheyenne Super Ochre/White LWB 350 Auto - my son's truck "Nancy"
1972 GMC K2500 Custom 4X4 Olive LWB 400 SB 4-speed -"Greenie" - Restoration to begin after the '55
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.
Daddy'O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
biggestjohn

WOW! What you can do with a bucket of Bondo.....

Love the oil dripping down the side of the oil filter, nice touch.

I wonder, how bad did they rape the previous owner?!

Sad thing is that when you drive it off of the lot, it still will be worth more than a new one.
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
leddzepp

As stated the truck has been restored...not much more to it than that. Don't believe anything a salesman tells you.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #9
chevy72pu

Like a very smart man once said, "Don't believe everything you SEE!".

'10 Traverse LTZ
03 Silverado Z71 ext cab
99 Yamaha Grizzly 600
72 C10 350/350 sportside bed.
68 C30 flatbed. 350 4-speed.

"I've got a good memory, it's just short!"
chevy72pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
JHT67

Makes since that the 72' has been there a least a year, crazy high prices on his site, like $28,000 for an 85' Dodge pick up, now it does say 620 miles on the odometer, but even that seems a little sketchy, but who knows.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
laplander

That's when you tell the salesman that you're not interested in the truck, but if he could hook you up with the owner's drug dealer, there'd be a hundo in it for him. Cause that has got to be some good stuff....
laplander is offline   Reply With Quote