The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
motorcritter

Question Crossmember swap questions...

I'm looking for information/guidance/warnings/referral to mental health professionals regarding a crossmember swap- '80 C20 to my '70 C10. The proposed donor truck is ultra-clean, and the parts are A-1. But the big question is- should I do it, and live with the 8 lug hubs, or can the spindles get swapped out for a 5 or 6 lug set-up? Or should I just hunt down a suitable C10, with 5 or 6 lug hubs? The rear axle is going to be changed to be compatible with the hub style, no matter what- if I go 8 lug or not. The donor truck is intact and has everything I would need.

So, any thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Posted via Mobile Device
motorcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Crossmember swap questions...

Unless you want to haul heavier loads and a stiffer ride I would pass on the parts and keep looking. Not only is it gonna ride rougher, it will limit you on wheel choices if that is a consideration for you and your not a oem type guy.
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
motorcritter

I'm not so familiar with what will exchange with the 1/2 ton stuff- if all I need are 1/2 SB springs and spindles/hubs/calipers, it might be worthwhile. If there's a big difference/headache trying to make it work, I'll pass for now. At least for this truck- the cab and bed are spotless, and I just did an engine install on a '79 that could use some reskinning. And the 454/TH400 combo in the donor is 'icing on the cake'.

Thanks, hugger663, but it looks like I need even more info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
motorcritter

What a difference a day (or two) makes! A little research & investigation- all I really need to do is change the ball joints and drop in a set of 1/2 ton spindles. I did an engine R&R on a somewhat nasty '79 K20 a while back, and he wants the cab & bed for his! So everybody's happy! So far.

I'll CL all the unused bits, and be done with it. I guess a build thread will be forthcoming. Then y'all can stand in awe/laugh uncontrollably at my brutal wrench 'n' fabrication skills!
Posted via Mobile Device