The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Dru

Wood bed floor option years?

Hello,

I have seen or read atleast a couple members with wood floor's in their bed, but I had never heard of or seen such a thing beforehand.

The upper rails on my longbed are trashed fairly well, I was about to go over and grab a bed cover I have in a garage tomorrow, and now realized I have some serious metal work to do before I could even get it to sit on there.

So I got to thinking, why not try to search out a wooden floored longbed to replace mine, I even figure as long as the upper rails are good, and the interior metal structure, I could always use the side/sides of my bed I have now for donors, if the bed I find is rusted or smashed in. I may have to decide if I want gas cap doors or not also.

Does anyone happen to know any information about if this option was limited to specific years, code, or anything of that nature? I'm really not sure how rare it even was, but as I said, I've never seen one in person.

Thank you, and any information is much appreciated.
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #2
lilpoindexter

Re: Wood bed floor option years?

wood
Attached Images

lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpoindexter View Post
wood
I believe he is referring to a wood floor fleetside bed. They were rather rare starting in 73, prior to that a bit more common.

It seems to me it would be easier to locate a bed with a clean metal floor and build it with fresh bedsides.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
pig rig

I dont know if it was really an option as more of the way gm cut cost on the low end trucks. here's my theory on wood beds; 73 was the first year for an all steel bed I belive (thats your option) so gm was using up the leftover wood bed frames on the low end trucks.Ive seen trucks as new as 79 with a wood bed wether it came from the factory that way I dont know.
here in the northwest I remember that you could tell a 73,74 truck because the beds rusted out from the top down and because of that Ive scrapped a lot of wood floor beds.

but if you look hard enough you may find one good hunting

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/ph...ped_detail.JPG
pig rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
78 Chevyrado
Account Suspended

I think the wood floors were an option in fleetsides until 78-80 somewhere in there. Maybe they quit the wood floors when they went to the gas tank filler doors instead of the visible gas cap.
78 Chevyrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Dru

Sorry, my fault, I should have mentioned Fleetside, my brain wasn't working correctly that late in the a.m.

N2TRUX, yeah that would be the easier option, and mine isn't reeeeallly in that bad of shape, but by telling myself that my bed rails are all beat up, it helps me justify searching out a wood floor bed, and doing all of the work. If that makes any sense, lol.

pig rig, thank you.

78 Chevyrado, the one here on the red truck that was pictured a few days ago didn't have the filler doors either.

I just figure by looking for one with possible bad bed sides, and it being a long bed anyhow, I might raise my chances of actually finding one for a somewhat decent price. Plus that would give me my filler doors, if I needed to slice my sides off in the upper curve, and graft them to the other.

Wasn't sure if there was anything special that I might look for, but I appreciate the info so far, its helped me narrow it down a little bit.

Thanks everyone.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

FYI, you could not get a wood bed in short bed fleetsides.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
DBLSPRT68

I knew a guy years go, with a 76 or 77 lwb fleetside factory wood floor truck. I remember looking at the SPID (buildsheet in the glovebox). I did that because I had never seen one before either!
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
ray_mcavoy

It's RPO E81 and was available in 1973 - 1980 longbed fleetsides.

They weren't made using leftover 67-72 style wood floor assemblies as pig rig speculated. The 73-80 design wood floor is significantly different (has different plank widths, different cross sills, and special flange pieces to mate the wood to the bedsides/wheeltubs).

And they weren't just in the low end trucks either. My dad's 77 Sierra Classic (GMC version of the Silverado) has this option:

Before:

After restoration:

My grandfather was the original owner and he specified the wood floor when he ordered this truck. Based on his experiences with other trucks he'd owned, he found the wood floors to be quieter. Didn't make as much of a tinny/drumming noise when going over rough roads as the steel floors.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #10
80SPORT

RPO E81 wood floor actually cost $99.00 as an option in 1980 ....

As a comparison a U16 tach was $62.00 and a cargo lamp was $29.00
80SPORT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Ray, thanks for posting the pics info! That is very interesting. Does any company sell replacement floor kits for these? My brother was actually just talking about trying to do this to his 88 V30.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #12
ray_mcavoy

Hi Ryan,

Yes, Mar-K (www.mar-k.com) sells replacement wood kits for these years and that's where we got the kit for dad's truck.

Unfortunately, you need a lot more than just the wood to convert from a steel floor. The cross sills are not as tall (since the wood is thicker) and the rear cross sill (at the tailgate) has a special notch to accept the ends of the boards. There are also about 9 special steel flange pieces that bolt onto the bedsides/wheeltubs. They bolt up to the same holes in the bedsides/tubs as a steel floor and serve to make the transition over to the wood.

During the restoration of dad's truck, we had to replace most of those special parts due to rust. For the cross sills, we bought some un-drilled 67-72 style ones from Mar-K and drilled them to the 73-80 bolt pattern using one of the originals as a template. I modified a steel floor rear cross sill (did a bit of cutting/welding to add the notched area). And we had a local sheetmetal fab shop make replacements for the perimeter flange pieces using the old rusty ones as templates.

The bedsides, wheel tubs, tailgate, and front panel are the same as used with a steel floor.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #13
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Hi Ryan,

Yes, Mar-K (www.mar-k.com) sells replacement wood kits for these years and that's where we got the kit for dad's truck.

Unfortunately, you need a lot more than just the wood to convert from a steel floor. The cross sills are not as tall (since the wood is thicker) and the rear cross sill (at the tailgate) has a special notch to accept the ends of the boards. There are also about 9 special steel flange pieces that bolt onto the bedsides/wheeltubs. They bolt up to the same holes in the bedsides/tubs as a steel floor and serve to make the transition over to the wood.

During the restoration of dad's truck, we had to replace most of those special parts due to rust. For the cross sills, we bought some un-drilled 67-72 style ones from Mar-K and drilled them to the 73-80 bolt pattern using one of the originals as a template. I modified a steel floor rear cross sill (did a bit of cutting/welding to add the notched area). And we had a local sheetmetal fab shop make replacements for the perimeter flange pieces using the old rusty ones as templates.

The bedsides, wheel tubs, tailgate, and front panel are the same as used with a steel floor.
Thanks for that info. My '73 longbed K20 also has a wood floor bed and the cross sills are very rusty. I'm going to tackle that sooner or later.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 AM   #14
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteElephant View Post
Thanks for that info. My '73 longbed K20 also has a wood floor bed and the cross sills are very rusty.
You're welcome!

I just took a look through some of my old info and found some part numbers you might find helpful. I don't think they're listed in the Mar-K catalog ... I got them when I e-mailed their tech support for more info on the 67-72 cross sill dimensions.

#100707 is the number for the un-drilled 67-72 style cross sills (5 required for a longbed)
#100706 is the number for the un-drilled 67-72 reinforcement strips (2 required) ... these are the "smaller cross sills" that go in the middle where the frame humps up over the axle.

In addition to drilling the holes, I also had to saw a few inches off those 67-72 style cross sills and reinforcements. The 73-80 ones are a bit shorter since the wood floor section is a little narrower than 67-72 due to those wide flange pieces along the bedsides.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:40 AM   #15
Dru

Quote:

Thank you for the all of the information, I'm a little curious how this is possible though, is the wood ontop of the steel, and the edging around the tubs is a separate piece of metal?

If not, attempting to cut out a steel floor, and trim around the tubs and everything evenly around would seem like a mess, but I would have to have it perfect, or it would bug me.

Edit:

Quote:
The 73-80 ones are a bit shorter since the wood floor section is a little narrower than 67-72 due to those wide flange pieces along the bedsides.
I didnt catch that at first. So its edging all the way around, and there is steel under it, or it it just like a normal bed, but cut out a few inches in?

Last edited by Dru; 11-28-2010 at 04:42 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

The whole floor unbolts. With the exception of 2 welds at the rear stake pockets.

Crap pic but you get the idea.

Last edited by KQQL IT; 11-28-2010 at 02:44 PM.
KQQL IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:34 PM   #17
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Quote:
You're welcome!

I just took a look through some of my old info and found some part numbers you might find helpful. I don't think they're listed in the Mar-K catalog ... I got them when I e-mailed their tech support for more info on the 67-72 cross sill dimensions.

#100707 is the number for the un-drilled 67-72 style cross sills (5 required for a longbed)
#100706 is the number for the un-drilled 67-72 reinforcement strips (2 required) ... these are the "smaller cross sills" that go in the middle where the frame humps up over the axle.

In addition to drilling the holes, I also had to saw a few inches off those 67-72 style cross sills and reinforcements. The 73-80 ones are a bit shorter since the wood floor section is a little narrower than 67-72 due to those wide flange pieces along the bedsides.
Thanks so much!

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Thank you for the all of the information, I'm a little curious how this is possible though, is the wood ontop of the steel, and the edging around the tubs is a separate piece of metal?

If not, attempting to cut out a steel floor, and trim around the tubs and everything evenly around would seem like a mess, but I would have to have it perfect, or it would bug me.

Edit:

I didnt catch that at first. So its edging all the way around, and there is steel under it, or it it just like a normal bed, but cut out a few inches in?
Hi Dru,

Yes, it's edging all the way around. Looks somewhat like a steel bed that's been cut a few inches in but it's not. The edging is made of 9 separate steel pieces. I called them "flanges" for lack of a better term. They bolt up to the bedsides/tubs using the same holes as where a steel floor assembly would attach. This pic shows the bed assembly with those flange/edging pieces installed but no wood yet:

The steel floor assembly shown in KQQL IT's pic is entirely eliminated and replaced with the wood floor assembly. The only steel underneath the wood is the cross sills. The 73-80 wood floor assembly bolts together pretty much like the pre-73 ones. Here's a pic with the wood partially installed:
Old 11-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #19
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Man that's sweet!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #20
Dru

Wow!!!

Thank you for the floor pic, KQQL IT. I honestly didn't even realize they came out that easy.

ray_mcavoy, thank you so very much also, the added information and pictures really explained everything to me pretty well. The bed looks very nice, by the way.

Thought I was going to have to find another bed, but I suppose I could massage mine out to look decent, and save the hassle, and expense of actually trying to find one, then modify it without feeling bad. I'll never use my stake pockets, could just fill them, and notch out for a piece of square tubing for added support to straighten the rails.

I would just need to then notch my rear floor sill as you did, and if anything, I could fab up my own flange pieces. The rest seems like I could use the 67-72 pieces, I appreciate the part numbers.

A friend needs a custom wood bed with a hump done for his 66 sometime, and I was planning to do it for him, this will give me some added practice beforehand.

Very cool. Thanks so much to everyone.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #21
slugish
Slugish

Quote:
It's RPO E81 and was available in 1973 - 1980 longbed fleetsides.
Love that bed > Beautiful

They weren't made using leftover 67-72 style wood floor assemblies as pig rig speculated. The 73-80 design wood floor is significantly different (has different plank widths, different cross sills, and special flange pieces to mate the wood to the bedsides/wheeltubs).

And they weren't just in the low end trucks either. My dad's 77 Sierra Classic (GMC version of the Silverado) has this option:

Before:

After restoration:

My grandfather was the original owner and he specified the wood floor when he ordered this truck. Based on his experiences with other trucks he'd owned, he found the wood floors to be quieter. Didn't make as much of a tinny/drumming noise when going over rough roads as the steel floors.
love that bed > Beautiful
slugish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #22
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

^^^ agreed
Old 08-25-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
astjohn

Is fabricating from scratch the only option for replacing the perimeter flange? Or is there a company that makes/sells them?
astjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:44 AM   #24
Keith Seymore

Good input guys - thanks for posting.

I wasn't that familiar with wood bed floors either; all the fleetsides were pretty much steel by the time I came on board (stepsides, of course, were still wood).

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by astjohn View Post
Is fabricating from scratch the only option for replacing the perimeter flange? Or is there a company that makes/sells them?
Hi astjohn,

Dad and I both did a lot of searching for a company selling those perimeter flange pieces back when we restored his 77. We couldn't find anyone making/selling them. We searched for NOS and good used ones but couldn't find any of those either. So, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we ended up taking the old rusty pieces to a local sheetmetal shop so they could use them as templates to make new ones.

Dieselwrencher, Dru, slugish, KQQL IT, & others ... thanks for the compliments!