The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
roll_the_dice

New Compressor arrived today

Finally convinced myself to upgrade my garage compressor. I had a Husky 1.7HP 33 gallon oilless (LOUD) compressor. I ordered a new Champion compressor last week and it came today. It is a 7.5 HP, 2 stage, 230v, 1 phase, 80 gallon compressor. It is supposed to be about 23CFM vs my old one at 5CFM. Got to finish wiring it then plumb the garage and my work shed in the backyard, but I love the look of it already. I think my old compressor cried when this showed up...
Attached Images

roll_the_dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 08:36 PM   #2
Kim57

Re: New Compressor arrived today

That's very nice.
Kim
Old 03-06-2019, 10:10 PM   #3
franken

Great choice. Big tank, pump and big slow motor. Big bucks I imagine too. What's the current rating on that motor? Brand?
I bought a similar used Saylor-Beale off CL some years back--love it!

Be careful not to undersize the air lines and do use some cooling, drying and filtering. The potential flow through a line basically doubles between 1/2" and 3/4" (area of the circle) so that's something to keep in mind.
I don't like air lines that run up and down leaving lots of places where water can collect. I like the water to have to be flowing out or back to the tank. Of course I have a 2 car garage so one end point with filter/dryer/regulator.
Also, get a little gate valve and some small pipe and fittings so you can purge water easily and often. Just blast out the air from the bottom of the tank a few times after the air has cooled.

But you had another so you knew all that crap...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #4
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Nice....never seen one of those....

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #5
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
That's very nice.
Kim
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
Great choice. Big tank, pump and big slow motor. Big bucks I imagine too. What's the current rating on that motor? Brand?
I bought a similar used Saylor-Beale off CL some years back--love it!

Be careful not to undersize the air lines and do use some cooling, drying and filtering. The potential flow through a line basically doubles between 1/2" and 3/4" (area of the circle) so that's something to keep in mind.
I don't like air lines that run up and down leaving lots of places where water can collect. I like the water to have to be flowing out or back to the tank. Of course I have a 2 car garage so one end point with filter/dryer/regulator.
Also, get a little gate valve and some small pipe and fittings so you can purge water easily and often. Just blast out the air from the bottom of the tank a few times after the air has cooled.

But you had another so you knew all that crap...
Yeah, I had been looking at Champions for a while...wanted a Saylor Beal, but was not in my budget and I looked locally on CL every day for a long time.

I was surprised that the outlet on mine is 1/2" with a ball valve. I was planning on using 3/4" copper lines in my garage and connect it to some 3/4" rapidair maxline about 40 feet to my shed. In my shed I will have a cutoff for so it doesn't strain the system..maybe not necessary. I also plan on putting an auto drain on it...just to keep it as dry as possible. I am planning my plumbing lines now. A dryer may be in the future, but can't now.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:46 PM   #6
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Nice....never seen one of those....
Thanks!
Old 03-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
Warrens69GMC

Great choice!
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Nice looking compressor. What did that set you back? I may be looking for one in the near future
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrens69GMC View Post
Great choice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Nice looking compressor. What did that set you back? I may be looking for one in the near future
I paid $2249 shipped for it. I hate putting prices on items...no matter what I buy someone has one better, bigger, stronger, for cheaper. With that said...I am happy with my purchase. It is not the top of the line Champion...but fits what I needed and wanted. I looked at many compressors, both smaller and same size for cheaper, but this one has a great reputation and reviews.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #10
richard2717

for the CFM's the price does not sound out of line. Looks to be cast iron head still so I will put it on my short list. Thanks for the reply.
Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
for the CFM's the price does not sound out of line. Looks to be cast iron head still so I will put it on my short list. Thanks for the reply.
It is a cast iron head. The compressor weighs about 600 pounds total.

What else are you looking at? I feel like I looked at most...Quincy, Saylore Beall, Eaton, etc. I feel I have learned more about compressors than I needed to at this point.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #12
richard2717

I have done some reading on the Champion, Quincy and Ingersall Rand. Not real impressed with the quality of the IR models I saw at the local tractor supply store. I have an 80 gallon 5hp 2 stage now that I bought from Snap On back in 86'. I think it is only like 15cfm though. I also have a 60 gallon (horizontal tank) with a 7.5hp direct drive compressor that I bought cheap from a friend who closed up. The motor went bad on my Snap on a while back so I hooked up the other one. I noticed that I was loosing a lot of pressure in the shop when compressor cut off even with no tools going. Both Compressors are in my small garage and piped over to the big one so I don't have the noise in the work area. I went over to check the compressor and noticed air leaking out of the bottom of the tank (dust blowing around made it easy to spot) I originally though it might be drain plug leaking but upon closer inspection that it is a rust hole. Needless to say I took it right back out of service and ordered a new motor for the Snap on unit. I guess my buddy did not drain the water as often as he should have and the tank is toast. With the age of my Snap on it has me now doubting the integrity of that tank even though I drain it a couple time per week. I just don't want to take a chance with the safety side and have a tank explosion that could kill someone. I was originally hoping to plumb both compressors together (which I did) to allow me to run both when using the blasting cabinet. Seems like that won't happen now and best bet is to just get something similar to what you have here. Sorry for long post
Old 03-07-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
roll_the_dice

I looked at IR and think they have a better reputation than they are these days. What I heard/was told about Quincy is the QT-54 is not a true 2 stage...something about the pistons being the same size in both cylinders instead of one smaller than the other.

I really liked Saylor Beall, but for the same compressor it was $1300 more or so. I just couldn't justify that. I almost bought a 5HP 60 gallon Champion that was in the $1750 range, but I wanted this to be the last compressor I buy. Which is why I am planning on putting an auto drain on it also..and some sort of cooling device..either a radiator or a refrigerated air dryer (down the road).

Then I looked at Eaton Max silent air...just didn't do anything for me. Seemed like snake oil on the huge silencer...not sure why, but I just felt that. I bought mine from TPTools.com...they were less expensive than the same compressor at other sites.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:55 AM   #14
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I got my IR 7.9-3.5hp/60gal at tractor supply...bought it mostly because of the IR reputation....been running for about 15yrs now...had to change pressure switch a couple yrs ago because the contact arm broke...I'm happy with it...

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 03-08-2019 at 06:21 AM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
renegade6

You are going to be very happy with the change. I did a similar change and have yet to run out of air, even with body working tools.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #16
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade6 View Post
You are going to be very happy with the change. I did a similar change and have yet to run out of air, even with body working tools.
Thanks...I am finishing the wiring tomorrow...so I get to start using it this week! I can't wait. I have never had a compressor this large at home...only at work years ago. The fact it won't be running all the time is going to make my ears happy!
Old 03-10-2019, 02:00 AM   #17
franken

You can run any system out of air driving air hungry tools. The 7.5 HP systems coming out these days are sort of BS in that a 5HP 1725 RPM motor is perfectly capable of doing the work.
HP is not a good measure of air compressor capacity regardless of the industry trying to use is as such. The important measure is output CFM.
IR is pretty famous for failures...
The pump, motor, and tank size are all important. The OP chose well.
The compressor is only the first bit in the system. You also need piping, filter, dryer and regulator. Then you need air tools. In my mind, the air system needs to be designed/built in a way that water has to end up either in the air tank or at the end of the system. That way it can be drained, or caught by the dryer. You destroy air tools by running hot wet air through them.

Last edited by franken; 03-10-2019 at 02:05 AM.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:50 PM   #18
renegade6

One thing to consider is where you end up mounting it. For my latest installation, I put it outside of my shop and I really enjoy not having to listen to it all of the time.
72 K20 Long bed stepside (wife's)
72 K20 Long bed 396 (flip or keep...?)
The latest build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...76#post8438476
renegade6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #19
roll_the_dice

I can't put it outside, since I am in a residential area. It is going in my garage...but most of the work I will be doing is in my shed in the backyard.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #20
scott123

That is a nice compressor.

I understand the comment about posting the price. I feel like I buy high so the next guy can get the deal. LOL

I just upgraded my small compressor (33gal) to a 60 gallon Kobalt. I had some reward points from my work and the compressor ended up costing me about $70 out of pocket.

I do not work out of the shop that much and the 33gal compressor had seen its better days, maybe 20 years old, with a piston and sleeve replacements 10 years ago and a pressure switch about 5.

I looked at the Champions and other high end compressors but for no more use I could not justify going that route.

My buddy has a Champion in his shop and it has been basically service free for 20+ years. He drains it regularly and changes the oil once per year. He runs a one, sometime two man body shop. The compressor has served him well.

Nice.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #21
PGSigns

Here is a link from a discussion a few years ago on drying air. Some really easy to do ideas while you are plumbing your new toy. I had the up and down loop in my other shop and it did a pretty good job. Will do another one in the new shop when it is done.
Jimmy
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643549
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #22
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123 View Post
That is a nice compressor.

I understand the comment about posting the price. I feel like I buy high so the next guy can get the deal. LOL

I just upgraded my small compressor (33gal) to a 60 gallon Kobalt. I had some reward points from my work and the compressor ended up costing me about $70 out of pocket.

I do not work out of the shop that much and the 33gal compressor had seen its better days, maybe 20 years old, with a piston and sleeve replacements 10 years ago and a pressure switch about 5.

I looked at the Champions and other high end compressors but for no more use I could not justify going that route.

My buddy has a Champion in his shop and it has been basically service free for 20+ years. He drains it regularly and changes the oil once per year. He runs a one, sometime two man body shop. The compressor has served him well.

Nice.

Scott
Thanks...now if I can get everything finished on it, I would be happier...I have been impressed with this board that no one has gone crazy about the price. I always love using reward points! I bought a TV a few years ago with AMEX points. Fortunately, I own my own business and from home and use the compressor for work as well as fun projects, so the company paid for the compressor. Still real money out of my pocket but I do get tax benefits and a write off of depreciation over the years.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:05 AM   #23
roll_the_dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Here is a link from a discussion a few years ago on drying air. Some really easy to do ideas while you are plumbing your new toy. I had the up and down loop in my other shop and it did a pretty good job. Will do another one in the new shop when it is done.
Jimmy
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=643549
Thanks for the link Jimmy. I read that article from the powdercoat guide and that is how I plan on running my pipe in my garage.

My biggest concern is moisture going from the compressor to my work shed in the backyard. I have to go up to the attic across the house (50 feet total maybe)...then down the outside wall...but do I go underground to the shed that will trap moisture or leave a drop and drain outside and plug an air hose from the shed to the outside of the house to connect the shed tools and outlets? I was thinking of having an outlet on the outside of the shed to connect the air hose to the house compressor. The outside of the house would come from the attic drop down with a ball valve at the entry going to the attic to cut air off when not in use thus "stopping" moisture from entering that run and also another one at the bottom outside the house to drain moisture when not in use.

I was planning on using the rapidair 3/4 line for the attic run since it is one continuous roll of pipe there will be no connections in the attic for an air leak. That make sense? I get wordy sometimes explaining things.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:25 AM   #24
77c10bowtie

that sure does look an awful lot like ingersollrand air compressors painted a different color, either way you cant go wrong.

how "residential" is your neighborhood because i've always had an air compressor in a residential neighborhood and never gotten a complaint, but i don't run it in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning either
77c10bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
roll_the_dice

Thought for sure I posted something...hmmm

Anyway, Here is the article Jimmy posted the picture from above. It is a good read and since I also powder coat some, it is applicable to my situation.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2016/...l#.XIp57xNKiCT