The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2024, 08:52 AM   #1
rbruno68

Cab mounts

In taking a closer look at my frame, I wanted to ask about two of the mounts. The passenger side cab mount is rusted. I feel very sure that the hole came from the factory round. If it did, this thing rusted in almost a perfect oval. Would you guys replace? I think there is plenty of surface for the bushing.

The front radiator support is pulled away from the frame. It doesn't look like the rivet ever had a head on it. It is not jagged like it got ripped off or bent. But, there is space between the mount and the frame. I am going to try and straighten in, but has anyone seen this as a mistake from the factory?

Besides these two things, the frame seems straight with very little rust. Pressure washing it this weekend, so I should get a better look today.
Name:  IMG_0458[1].jpg
Views: 243
Size:  38.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0457[1].jpg
Views: 239
Size:  72.6 KB
Name:  IMG_0456[1].jpg
Views: 238
Size:  61.6 KB
rbruno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:10 PM   #2
SkinnyG

Re: Cab mounts

The mounts are not going to rust themselves into an oval; it probably was always an oval. They WILL, however, rust themselves thinner. I used a BIG washer to repair the rusted out hole in one of mine (I cut a big hole out to fit the washer in).

Looks like a collision broke the rivet. You might be able to drill it out and replace it with a grade 8 faster of large enough diameter to pull it straight again. It won't look "original," but it WILL be secure. It's also possible that the metal around the remaining rear rivet has deformed, and may need some "adjustment." I'd put a bolt in and see what it does.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:35 AM   #3
rbruno68

The cab mount still seems pretty thick. Maybe it was always oval as you say.

That was my plan for the radiator support. I was going to punch out that rivet and use a bolt. It will need a little persuasion to move back to the frame.

The rest of the frame looks pretty straight. Now that it is pressure washed, I want to start pulling the measuring tape in spots to see if it is square and ok. This puts a little chink in the armor to think that it had an accident or collision that would have moved this. But, time will tell.
Old 02-05-2024, 12:09 PM   #4
SkinnyG

None of us are "mint" compared to when we were first manufactured either.
Lotus Super 7 Replica: Scratch-built street-legal rollerskate
SkinnyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 01:58 PM   #5
Bob@ProAuto

Every passengers side front cab mount I've seen is oval. I believe it was for some "slop" to align everything better.
Bob@ProAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 10:13 AM   #6
rbruno68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob@ProAuto View Post
Every passengers side front cab mount I've seen is oval. I believe it was for some "slop" to align everything better.
That is good to know. I sort of thought that could be the case. But wasn't sure. Thanks for the info.