The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2023, 07:03 PM   #126
HO455
Post Whore

Re: 1972 C20 build and adventure thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
Thanks! Retire at the end of the month...."flew" as desk at the reserve center on Camp Mabry for the last 2 years because we bought a house here in 2017 and knew we were coming here after retirement.
Congratulations! And now I'm really jealous.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 08:14 AM   #127
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
Congratulations! And now I'm really jealous.
Only problem is, I need to figure out what I'm going to do with my life now that I've "grown up"...
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:45 AM   #128
HO455
Post Whore

If you're even remotely like me your wife will solve that dilemma for you.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 02:08 PM   #129
Louisvillekytruck

Thank you for your service beautiful truck
Louisvillekytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 05:30 PM   #130
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
If you're even remotely like me your wife will solve that dilemma for you.
Oh it's coming....just hoping to finish the Corvette before she kicks me out and tells me not to come back until I have a job!
Old 06-08-2023, 11:12 PM   #131
FLYNAVY30

Finally got around to building a paddle board rack for the Suburban using the "Quick N Easy" clamps I bought years ago from another forum member. I used the thickest walled 1" aluminum tube I could get from McMaster Carr for the cross bars, and while it flexes slightly when I cinch down the ratchet straps, it's plenty sturdy. I've been daily driving the truck all week with the board on the roof, making regular excursions down the river after dropping the kids at school in the morning. No issues at all, even up to 70 mph. Photos were taken right after I had to race a line of thunderstorms back up river....not ideal, but I made it and the line passed quickly.
Attached Images

Old 06-09-2023, 05:34 AM   #132
Beach-Burban

Quote:
Finally got around to building a paddle board rack for the Suburban using the "Quick N Easy" clamps I bought years ago from another forum member. I used the thickest walled 1" aluminum tube I could get from McMaster Carr for the cross bars, and while it flexes slightly when I cinch down the ratchet straps, it's plenty sturdy. I've been daily driving the truck all week with the board on the roof, making regular excursions down the river after dropping the kids at school in the morning. No issues at all, even up to 70 mph. Photos were taken right after I had to race a line of thunderstorms back up river....not ideal, but I made it and the line passed quickly.
Looks great, Greg…your burb would fit right in with the So Cal beach vibe where I live (but I don’t recommend moving to CA!!!). Your tailgate looks like mine…that’s where I started bodywork as well, and we even picked the same color of primer!

Woody
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2023, 07:23 AM   #133
FLYNAVY30

Thanks Woody...my sister lives in Burbank so I'm familiar...love the beach, but not my scene at all, especially these days!
Old 07-14-2023, 12:10 AM   #134
FLYNAVY30

Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone still following along that might be experiencing similar issues....

Since moving to Texas two years ago, I've been having intermittent hot start issues in the Suburban in the summer. It would always start when cold, albeit with a little excessive cranking, but in the summer, when warm, it wouldn't start. I'd have to wait for it to cool down....sometimes to the tune of over an hour in the grocery store parking lot (fortunately, the HEB by us has a bar with draught beer).

I read wires, replaced a solenoid on my Power Master starter, and nothing solved the problem. As I've been researching, and recently purchased, an 80 series Land Cruiser (actually a Lexus LX450....dont tell anyone), I had been surfing the LC80 forums and came across a local guy who was having the same issue with his '93 Cruiser. Turns out that when wires get hot, the resistance of the wire goes up, sometimes significantly....thus affecting the amperage going to the starter. His solution was to use the power wire from his ignition switch to trigger a relay, sending power to the starter solenoid.

I just completed the same mod to my ignition system using a Kaizen Speed solid state relay and 10 AWG TXL wire for the leads coming from the battery to the relay and the relay to the solenoid. All I can say is WOW! The truck cranks and fires like a new truck, hot or cold. No delay, no continued cranking. I dont know what the amperage drop in the old wiring was, but it's definitely getting all the sauce now. Hopefully this helps someone else out.
Old 07-14-2023, 02:04 AM   #135
Trixxterr

Quote:
Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone still following along that might be experiencing similar issues....

Since moving to Texas two years ago, I've been having intermittent hot start issues in the Suburban in the summer. It would always start when cold, albeit with a little excessive cranking, but in the summer, when warm, it wouldn't start. I'd have to wait for it to cool down....sometimes to the tune of over an hour in the grocery store parking lot (fortunately, the HEB by us has a bar with draught beer).

I read wires, replaced a solenoid on my Power Master starter, and nothing solved the problem. As I've been researching, and recently purchased, an 80 series Land Cruiser (actually a Lexus LX450....dont tell anyone), I had been surfing the LC80 forums and came across a local guy who was having the same issue with his '93 Cruiser. Turns out that when wires get hot, the resistance of the wire goes up, sometimes significantly....thus affecting the amperage going to the starter. His solution was to use the power wire from his ignition switch to trigger a relay, sending power to the starter solenoid.

I just completed the same mod to my ignition system using a Kaizen Speed solid state relay and 10 AWG TXL wire for the leads coming from the battery to the relay and the relay to the solenoid. All I can say is WOW! The truck cranks and fires like a new truck, hot or cold. No delay, no continued cranking. I dont know what the amperage drop in the old wiring was, but it's definitely getting all the sauce now. Hopefully this helps someone else out.
Interesting, in my experience it the issue was due to a failing starter solenoid. I need to file this away for future reference. Or just go ahead and use your fix to avoid the any future issues.. Much appreciation for the info..
Trixxterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:54 AM   #136
Beach-Burban

[QUOTE=FLYNAVY30;9219747]Thought I'd throw this out there for anyone still following along that might be experiencing similar issues....[QUOTE]

Hi Greg…When I was a kid, I put a 402 out of a ‘72 C/10 into my ‘65 GTO and had the same issues even though I lived in the cool So Cal beach area. My “smarter” friend said to put a bigger wire on it, so I wired in 10 gauge wires between a separate H/D toggle switch and the solenoid (cheapest way due to no money)…and never had an issue again. When I bought my ‘72 Suburban from the original owner, I noticed that there was a “Ford” style solenoid installed near the battery…and I believe this also acts as a relay to handle the load going through 4 gauge cables? I have never had a heat-soak issue with the 454, and I attribute that to the solenoid. Nothing to add to your post…just concurring.

Woody

Name:  IMG_3548.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  52.6 KB
Beach-Burban is offline   Reply With Quote