The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #1
56hotrodred

How to blend rockers and cab corners

Any tutorials on how to blend the Rockies and cab corners?

Not too sure if I can just weld round wire into groove between two and fill with weld or if I should cut ends off and then weld together with small strips of metal???
56hotrodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: How to blend rockers and cab corners

Sorry..couldn't resist...
Attached Images

Last edited by mongocanfly; 04-26-2017 at 11:54 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:50 PM   #3
MARTINSR

LOLOLOLOLOLOL, perfect!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:01 AM   #4
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56hotrodred View Post

Not too sure if I can just weld round wire into groove between two and fill with weld or if I should cut ends off and then weld together with small strips of metal???
I am not sure what you mean, posting photos always helps.

But it sounds like you are talking about "splicing" two panels together. If that's the case you can butt weld them, fitting them near perfect and simply weld the seam.

A common way to do it is to do a "butt weld with backing." That's where you butt the panels with a small gap, about 1/8" max, three 32nd or so. You cut a strip of metal that is put behind one of the panels so it sticks out and the other panel will set over it an equal amount. This strip would commonly be an inch or so wide. You drill a few holes in the panel and then set this strip under it and plug weld it to the panel through the holes.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

You then put the other part into place and weld down that seam on the outside welding the strip (backing) to both the outer pieces.

http://www.autobodystore.com/door_rust.shtml

Is this what you are after?

Brian

Old 04-27-2017, 02:44 AM   #5
BIGglaSS

Rockies, and rockers. I'm sure there have been a few rockers at red rocks.

I'm in the middle of this right now. I trimmed the flange off and will butt weld/blend with the cab corner.

Now don't get me started on REPRODUCTION parts. They need to come with a disclaimer, "part is just a representation of original". Have to do a little slice and dice to make me happy with the fit. It is off by 3/8".
BIGglaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM   #6
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Sorry..couldn't resist...
No apologies necessary that is pretty funny.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
56hotrodred

[QUOTE=BIGglaSS;7927043] "Now don't get me started on REPRODUCTION parts. They need to come with a disclaimer, "part is just a representation of original". Have to do a little slice and dice to make me happy with the fit."

I agree totally but the pieces I have been using so far for the lower door hinge pockets have been really good. I am actually impressed.

You have responded to the exact pieces I was taking/thinking about.

I put the cab corners and rockers on a long time ago and they didn't fit real good.

I guess cutting both flanges off and then build piece to but weld in is the answer.

Back to the other side lower door hinge pocket first.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:50 AM   #8
dsraven

post up a pic of the problem and we may come up with some answers.

I welded mine at the rear. the rear side of the rocker got massaged to fit well for body lines and then got welded to the cab corner. it will flow nicely and look like one piece when painted. is that the look you want? be sure to check the rockers to ensure any water will run out of the step and maybe get that angle right as you are massaging the fit between the rocker and cab corner. how big is the gap you have there? the rocker should fit at the front edge where the pillar comes down, then, if the rocker is the right length-like a smidge longer than the door-then the rear can be adjusted to fit the cab corner. the front is the critical end for door alignment and fitting of the fender.
my opinion only.
when you do the hinge pillars make sure to get the floor height correct so the rocker height will also be correct for drainage etc. mark the pillar up higher than the cut line you will do (centre punch and take a pic of measure with steel ruler, not a tape measure) and measure down to the floor height and the step height. use a piece of poster board as a template to get the curve right on the pillar and index that with the pillar so when you cut the old part off you will get the new part to fit the same and the door seal will actually seal. bolt the hinge up before you tack weld to ensure the spacing is correct front to rear. I included some pics of how I set mine up. not saying it is the right way, just reference for you.
my opinion only
have fun
Attached Images

dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #9
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I am not sure what you mean, posting photos always helps.

But it sounds like you are talking about "splicing" two panels together. If that's the case you can butt weld them, fitting them near perfect and simply weld the seam.

A common way to do it is to do a "butt weld with backing." That's where you butt the panels with a small gap, about 1/8" max, three 32nd or so. You cut a strip of metal that is put behind one of the panels so it sticks out and the other panel will set over it an equal amount. This strip would commonly be an inch or so wide. You drill a few holes in the panel and then set this strip under it and plug weld it to the panel through the holes.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/plug-weld.htm

You then put the other part into place and weld down that seam on the outside welding the strip (backing) to both the outer pieces.

http://www.autobodystore.com/door_rust.shtml

Is this what you are after?

Brian
Yes that is what I am after. Because my rockers and cab corners did not fit really well, or at least line up real nice, the idea of a backing plate might help. I have used this method in a couple of other places, sometimes utilizing weld thru primer but I have to tell you I have not been having good luck with weld thru primer.

I am also looking at ways to seal up areas where I used backing plates. Maybe combination of epoxy primer and a good 2k seam sealer.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
56hotrodred

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
post up a pic of the problem and we may come up with some answers.

I welded mine at the rear. the rear side of the rocker got massaged to fit well for body lines and then got welded to the cab corner. it will flow nicely and look like one piece when painted. is that the look you want? be sure to check the rockers to ensure any water will run out of the step and maybe get that angle right as you are massaging the fit between the rocker and cab corner. how big is the gap you have there? the rocker should fit at the front edge where the pillar comes down, then, if the rocker is the right length-like a smidge longer than the door-then the rear can be adjusted to fit the cab corner. the front is the critical end for door alignment and fitting of the fender.
my opinion only.
when you do the hinge pillars make sure to get the floor height correct so the rocker height will also be correct for drainage etc. mark the pillar up higher than the cut line you will do (centre punch and take a pic of measure with steel ruler, not a tape measure) and measure down to the floor height and the step height. use a piece of poster board as a template to get the curve right on the pillar and index that with the pillar so when you cut the old part off you will get the new part to fit the same and the door seal will actually seal. bolt the hinge up before you tack weld to ensure the spacing is correct front to rear. I included some pics of how I set mine up. not saying it is the right way, just reference for you.
my opinion only
have fun

That's some good info right there! My steps are in already unlike yours in your pictures. I put them in some time ago not thinking too much about water drainage. Hope I don't have any problems but this will be a fair weather truck only.

I did however place my rockers with doors in!

The lower door hinge pockets are going in fairly well so far. One side is pretty much completed except for some final welding and grinding. I am only using a part of the piece with the caged nuts first basically tacking in place using registration marks off the old ones, checking hinge will fit and then welding in other two parts. Figured this way at least door hinge will fit and the two pieces behind are mostly not seen anyway. But as said they are fitting pretty good with a little massaging!

Thanks so much for your help.

You getting snow up in Calgary this morning?

It's white here again!!!
Old 04-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #11
dsraven

a little snow overnight but melted this am. we had a dump on monday. heavy slushy stuff.
if you send me a private message I can send you my email and maybe some pics then, both ways. wouldn't mind seeing what you are working on. sounds like fun anyway.
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #12
56hotrodred

Will send you PM.

After my morning tea I will be back out in the shop and will bring a camera out. I have been meaning to take some pictures.

Ya we got the Monday snow also but another 2 inches or so last night.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
MARTINSR

First thing with weld thru primer, don't apply it too thick. Second thing and this is a BIG thing, LET IT DRY THOROUGHLY that is the key big time. If it's not dry it's full of solvent which burns, and you can't weld through it worth a crap.

Another trick is to clean the weld thru primer out of the hole where you are plug welding, there is no need to have it there, you are going to me melting that metal together right, it doesn't need to be there. It's there to protect the surrounding areas. And if you are butt welding you don't need it anywhere near the weld, ti's not going to do jack for you. Protect it after you weld it with cavity wax or of course if you can sand and prime and paint the back side you do that.

Brian