The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
davepl

Customs Broker? What do they do?

Apparently, I have to find a customs broker to ship the vehicle I'm importing Edmonton->Seattle. I've got some phone numbers and will start cold calling, but at this point I don't even know what the "Customs Broker" does, besides clearly take some kind of fee for the privilege of me moving something across the border...

Anyone know what the Broker does, and how I go about selecting one?

Not a lot of trucks moving across the border that I can recall, but -someone- must have imported a GMC 910 or something at some point!
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Customs Broker? What do they do?

Dave call Deringer Customs Brokers at 518-298-8281.. US Customs requires the use of a Customs Broker to handle the paperwork necessary to import or export vehicle.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
harpo231

broker takes care of documentation . packaging . all the red tape so they dont quarantine
your shipment. in essence they are a freight forwarder. I have shipped millions in product around the world and some countries are red tape laden.
harpo231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #4
harpo231

There is no legal requirement for you to hire a Customs Broker to clear your goods.
I highly recommend it though.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
There is no legal requirement for you to hire a Customs Broker to clear your goods.
I highly recommend it though.
If you are importing a vehicle from the USA into Canada since 2014 US Customs states you have to use a broker and get an ITN Number and only a broker can get that number. Sounds like Dave is importing from Canada into the USA so I'm pretty certain the same rules apply but it could be different. The last thing you want is for the shipper to show up at the Border and the paper work hasnt been done properly and the Customs folks won't let the vehicle across the border. Been there, done that..

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 12-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
harpo231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
If you are importing a vehicle from the USA into Canada since 2014 US Customs states you have to use a broker and get an ITN Number and only a broker can get that number. Sounds like Dave is importing from Canada into the USA so I'm pretty certain the same rules apply but it could be different. The last thing you want is for the shipper to show up at the Border and the paper work hasnt been done properly and the Customs folks won't let the vehicle across the border. Been there, done that..
You may be right , I retired 4 yrs ago so not up to date if rules changed. Used to do all hazmat for dealer reps ,what a nightmare.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #7
In The Ten Ring

The result of more regulations....more regulations cannot help but get confusing (even to those whose job it is to enforce the regulations) and thus, only the very wealthy can afford to navigate it.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:06 PM   #8
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpo231 View Post
You may be right , I retired 4 yrs ago so not up to date if rules changed. Used to do all hazmat for dealer reps ,what a nightmare.
When I imported my Highlander frm South Dakota in Canada in November 2014 I had to use a broker and get an ITN Number and with that I must say the transaction at the US Border was smooth and seamless cause I used a broker and had that number.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #9
davepl

Cool. Unfortunately I sent all my paperwork (EPA, DOT, Bill of Sale, etc) off to the guy that's going to send the car, so if they want all of that, I'm kind of stuck! I guess I can find copies.

Thanks for the info, I'll make some calls!
Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

I'm thinking it's a good thing to regulate borders. It's nothing new.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #11
Bird dog

If you dont want to use a broker, you certainly dont need to. I’ve brought 4 vehicles across the border in the last year (in Blaine).

It takes about 10 minutes.
Bird dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #12
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
I'm thinking it's a good thing to regulate borders. It's nothing new.
Well then, we need more regulations, right?

The more complicated the process gets, the more priced out the little guy becomes and he can't afford the right donations to the right candidates in order to get an exemption.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #13
Indyspecracer

I imported a 45 ft diesel pusher last year. Flew to Montreal and drove it back. Some internet searching will yield info on the forms that you should have filled out prior to arriving at the border. There is one form that must be acquired and filled out at the customs office. Because of NAFTA and the fact that the truck was originally built in the US, it can come back across the border duty free. If you strike out on your internet search, PM me and I will dig out my documentation for you.
Indyspecracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #14
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
If you dont want to use a broker, you certainly dont need to. I’ve brought 4 vehicles across the border in the last year (in Blaine).

It takes about 10 minutes.
So what all did you do? Fill us in!

I have my EPA form, my DOT form, my MSO (origin), and there's no duty on Canadian cars.

What else would I need to do it myself? Even if I don't this time, I'd like to educate myself.

Quote:
Because of NAFTA and the fact that the truck was originally built in the US, it can come back across the border duty free. If you strike out on your internet search, PM me and I will dig out my documentation for you.
Mine was built in Canada but should be OK anyway, I think. It's old enough to be exempt for DOT and EPA but I have their forms filled out with the right "too old" exempt box checked.

So for the EPA I sent a 3520-1 and for the DOT I sent a completed HS-7.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #15
Bird dog

All you need is the bill of sale and the canadian title. Stop in at the border, trade some paperwork and drive on South. Its real easy.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #16
WestButteTruck
Kung Fu Master

The trick to not using a broker is being at the border at the time of import and it's for personal use. Once you hire someone to bring it across for you, a broker becomes involved. Vehicles made in the U.S., Canada and Mexico are duty free. If the vehicle is over 25 yrs. old, it is exempt DOT and EPA regulations. The older vehicles are easy.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Bird dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestButteTruck View Post
The trick to not using a broker is being at the border at the time of import and it's for personal use. Once you hire someone to bring it across for you, a broker becomes involved. Vehicles made in the U.S., Canada and Mexico are duty free. If the vehicle is over 25 yrs. old, it is exempt DOT and EPA regulations. The older vehicles are easy.
WestButteTruck is absolutely correct.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #18
toolboxchev

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Apparently, I have to find a customs broker to ship the vehicle I'm importing Edmonton->Seattle. I've got some phone numbers and will start cold calling, but at this point I don't even know what the "Customs Broker" does, besides clearly take some kind of fee for the privilege of me moving something across the border...

Anyone know what the Broker does, and how I go about selecting one?

Not a lot of trucks moving across the border that I can recall, but -someone- must have imported a GMC 910 or something at some point!
There is new TSA security bs that they have to follow for point of origin and delivery. Its kinda a joke but national security interests is what fuels the new regs we all pay more for on anything imported.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #19
Slowboat

I drove up to Quebec with a Uhual pickup and a trailer. Came back over with a '69 C20 with a bill of sale. Hit the VT border at 2:30am. At first the border guy was a little cold, but after a few forms, everything was dialed in, and he switched over the gear head!

No issues, no import duty.

One thing that he said: If I had registered the vehicle in Vermont before bringing it across the border it would have been a big issue, as you can't register something that hasn't been imported. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but that is what he said.

I believe that Vermont and Quebec have some very interesting, long-standing import polices that allow vehicles to move over easily. Based on some research, it seems like a very easy way to bring in grey market cars, register them in VT, then move to other states.
Slowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #20
Coley

Smile Re: Customs Broker? What do they do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
All you need is the bill of sale and the canadian title. Stop in at the border, trade some paperwork and drive on South. Its real easy.
Very interesting....I was wondering what it would take to sell a vehicle 'southbound' for a change, into the U.S
....hmm, I would be curious as to how this all rolls out for you Dave so keep us posted.....and I don't expect anything will be a problem.

As for the Canadian 'title'....its a little different up here and generally most Canadians don't know what the terms means.
That 'title' or paperwork is a much more fluid thing here than in the U.S
Whereas the american title is a very specific one time document it seems.
Here in Canada, every time the vehicle is sold it gets a new ownership document or 'title' specific now to that owner.
Also, if you happen to lose it...just go in and ask for a new copy and they will print one out for you...noting that they have you on digital record as the owner so it isn't a big deal....probably 15 minutes worth of time.
It is not one document handed down through time...so to speak.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #21
zosoppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Very interesting....I was wondering what it would take to sell a vehicle 'southbound' for a change, into the U.S
....hmm, I would be curious as to how this all rolls out for you Dave so keep us posted.....and I don't expect anything will be a problem.

As for the Canadian 'title'....its a little different up here and generally most Canadians don't know what the terms means.
That 'title' or paperwork is a much more fluid thing here than in the U.S
Whereas the american title is a very specific one time document it seems.
Here in Canada, every time the vehicle is sold it gets a new ownership document or 'title' specific now to that owner.
Also, if you happen to lose it...just go in and ask for a new copy and they will print one out for you...noting that they have you on digital record as the owner so it isn't a big deal....probably 15 minutes worth of time.
It is not one document handed down through time...so to speak.

Coley
Here in the US titles are re-issued whenever a vehicle is moved from state to state or transferred (sold/gift) from owner to owner. It all depends on the state of course, and at least it used to be that some states didn't have "titles" on older cars, just the registration.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #22
davepl

One thing I'm not thrilled about is I have no prior registrations for the car. Alberta doesn't have titles, cars are sold on a bill of sale only. I hope that's not a jackpot at the border. I have a bill of sale from a car dealership, hopefully that's sufficient.

I guess those kinds of details might be the kind of thing the broker sorts out!
Old 12-15-2017, 07:39 PM   #23
Coley

If you get a chance, talk with a paralegal about getting the seller and yourself to sign an affidavit as to the ownership being 'free and clear'.
I bought a used camper/trailer from Alberta and brought it out to B.C.
It didn't have any official 'registration or ownership' so I made a quick trip to the local paralegal (or may have simply been a local civil lawyer?) and paid $50 and got a signed document guaranteeing the ownership was free and clear.
I submitted that locally to our licensing and registration folks and ba-da-bing.....on the road.
Maybe talk to the 'border guys' before the car gets there to warm up your methods.

At the end of they day, you'll get your car for sure....might just be a couple of extra paper trail steps to make to expedite it through.

Keep us posted tho'...and best of luck.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:41 PM   #24
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Well then, we need more regulations, right?

The more complicated the process gets, the more priced out the little guy becomes and he can't afford the right donations to the right candidates in order to get an exemption.
I just meant customs has it's place. I don't see any of this as unnecessary regulation. I'm not into over regulation.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote