The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 60-66

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

HOW TO: Split the brake lines (many have asked)

Here's a short write up on how I split the lines on my truck.

This is perfect for the person who wants to have a "split" system, but is not ready or cannot afford disc brake conversion right away.

Our trucks utilize a single line coming out of the stock master cylinder (whether manual or power). This single line is Tee'd off at the LF wheel, then again at the RF wheel.

From there, it runs to the rear of the truck which it feeds the rear brakes..where it is Tee'd again for the L and R rear wheels.

This system is fine...and has been for years. Although, as vehicles get older and related brake parts wear, you run the risk of looseing your brakes COMPLETELY if you blow a line, a wheel-cylinder, or even if the master goes out !!! Of course this does not cure problems elsewhere in your system, which should be checked and replaced as neccesary.

That could be scary or even DEADLY !!

I would sure hate to have an accident and injure one of my family members, or anyone else on the road for that matter.

So until I'm ready to do a full resto on my truck, I decide to upgrade the brake system using readily available, inexpensive off the shelf parts.

HERE WE GO:

The first thing to do is remove the stock master, along with the single line down to the first Tee.

The one on the left is the stock (obviously)

Now the one the right is a NEW drum/drum master I picked up at Kragens for under $30...I asked for a 67-70 IMPALA drum/drum car...non P/B....Can't beat the price !!!
-

-
You then need to pick up some line and fittings. You can purchase straight lengths of line with end on them, or pick up the line and fittings seperate. I went to RoyalBrass (a local fitting store) and picked all the fittings and the line I needed to do the conversion...
-
-

-

Two adapter fittings for the Master..four Inverted..one plug...and a union...

The master bolted up NICE
-

-

-
-
-

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"

Last edited by augie; 04-23-2011 at 01:17 AM.