The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
jeffahart

CL Hickey Worm winch

Someone showed me a Hickey worm winch on CL. Thought I would share in case anyone is interested.

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/pts/...347141141.html

j
Old 10-24-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
Brad54

Re: CL Hickey Worm winch

I've got a PTO for my '62 K10... but that would be great on my son's '76 Power Wagon... hmmm... Shipping to Georgia would probably be a killer.

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #3
mrtoni

He never answered my inquiries. Mtt
mrtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
Orange Crate

Well, I must have been the first one to email the seller because it showed up on my door step last night

First picture is what was delivered. Second pic is what happens when I'm left alone unsupervised for four hours. Everything came apart OK except the drive gear on the motor. You can see on the third pic that someone had hammered on the drive shaft to try to get the gear off which made it really tuff actually getting it to come off. It eventually let go but not until after I ground the splines off on the end of the shaft. It took alot of heat and penetrating oil to first get the gear to move and then it would just stop when it got to the splines on the end. The motor is dead so no big deal and I'll need to get a new gear. Well, it's time to spend a bunch of hours in the old bead blaster
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
jeffahart

Nice, glad you picked it up. Fun project putting them back in service. I had big trouble getting that gear off too. I ended up using a pneumatic hammer with a pickle fork... a stubborn little gear.

Have fun!

j
Old 11-03-2017, 06:17 PM   #6
Orange Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Nice, glad you picked it up. Fun project putting them back in service. I had big trouble getting that gear off too. I ended up using a pneumatic hammer with a pickle fork... a stubborn little gear.

Have fun!

j

Thanks for the link...! I too had to use an air hammer with a narrow flat tip I hammered on the shaft at the same time I held a pry bar behind the gear to finally get it off of there. There were two seals behind the gear stacked end to end.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:27 PM   #7
jeffahart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Crate View Post
There were two seals behind the gear stacked end to end.
Looks like they built them that way. I had wondered if someone just stuck in a second seal when I disassembled mine.

I noticed you had a Thor manual. Do you have Hickey or Thor casting on the side cases? I've come to think they(Hickey, Thor and Desert Dynamics) might have all been manufactured by Desert Dynamics.

On a side note, I had an argument with a buddy regarding the transfer being upside down and over/under rope wind; and that the worm does not distinguish forward from reverse. I wrote pierce... Here's their response.

"These winches can be wound either way."

j
Old 11-04-2017, 09:31 PM   #8
BLT gmc

This I what I found regarding manufacturers when I did my research about 2 yrs ago. Since then I have learned that Ramsey attached the solenoid pack directly to the end of the winch and Hickey moved the pack inside the engine compartment up on the inner fender.

Well here is the follow-up, at least part of it. This is a Ramsey winch. It is a Model DC-200 Series Lever Equipped Industrial Low-Mount Winch. 26 page manual at Ramsey Winch. In the manual the solenoid pack is attached directly to the end of the spool gear case immediately above the motor. I am not convinced this is where Hickey would have the pack as it would cover up the Hickey Enterprises emblem cast into the spool gear case. Hope this helps someone. Take care, Bruce
BLT gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #9
Orange Crate

Quote:
Looks like they built them that way. I had wondered if someone just stuck in a second seal when I disassembled mine.

I noticed you had a Thor manual. Do you have Hickey or Thor casting on the side cases? I've come to think they(Hickey, Thor and Desert Dynamics) might have all been manufactured by Desert Dynamics.

On a side note, I had an argument with a buddy regarding the transfer being upside down and over/under rope wind; and that the worm does not distinguish forward from reverse. I wrote pierce... Here's their response.

"These winches can be wound either way."

j

I have the Hickey castings . Interesting that on the inside of a couple of the pieces there is a "VIKING 205" and "VIKING 206" cast (THOR reference maybe?) Yes cable on top or on the bottom, but on the bottom I think is best for our trucks, to work behind the bumper. I have the THOR and Desert Dynamics manuals and they are both the same winches. Do you know if you have any "VIKING" cast inside your covers?
Old 11-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
Orange Crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLT gmc View Post
This I what I found regarding manufacturers when I did my research about 2 yrs ago. Since then I have learned that Ramsey attached the solenoid pack directly to the end of the winch and Hickey moved the pack inside the engine compartment up on the inner fender.

Well here is the follow-up, at least part of it. This is a Ramsey winch. It is a Model DC-200 Series Lever Equipped Industrial Low-Mount Winch. 26 page manual at Ramsey Winch. In the manual the solenoid pack is attached directly to the end of the spool gear case immediately above the motor. I am not convinced this is where Hickey would have the pack as it would cover up the Hickey Enterprises emblem cast into the spool gear case. Hope this helps someone. Take care, Bruce
BLT thanks for those links in your other post, I looked at the Ramsey DC-200 and I think you are correct, they are the original mfg. I see a few differences in some of the parts in the DC-200 (brake) Hopefully the parts are still available to keep these old Hickeys going. I see some parts availability at the Pierce web site. I'll get bearings and seals and my local bearing house and have anything else made if things get serious in getting this back in service and mounted. Let the fun begin!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #11
jeffahart

Quote:
I have the Hickey castings . Interesting that on the inside of a couple of the pieces there is a "VIKING 205" and "VIKING 206" cast (THOR reference maybe?) Yes cable on top or on the bottom, but on the bottom I think is best for our trucks, to work behind the bumper. I have the THOR and Desert Dynamics manuals and they are both the same winches. Do you know if you have any "VIKING" cast inside your covers?

I did not notice any viking castings on the inside, but there may be. Pierce bought Desert Dynamics. I would make them my first goto. But I bought my bearings off Amazon. These winches are based on the Ramsey design, and there may be quite a bit of interchangeability, but I would just double check the specs against pierce before pulling the trigger on a the part purchase, why not, they're a great resource. All in all, these winches are pretty simple.

Over drum/ Under Drum... if you think about it, mounting with the transfer up is under drum with an over wrap... ... mute point though!

j
Old 11-06-2017, 12:42 AM   #12
jeffahart

Also, if you do an under drum, you will need to build a hawse that hangs down low. The line must feed straight onto the drum, or you will end up seriously kinking your line and marring it on the side of the spool. It happens when your pulling in over ruts and the vehicle jerks from side to side. It will/could end up looking like a backlash on a spinning reel. But you probably already know that.

j
Old 11-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Orange Crate

Quote:
Also, if you do an under drum, you will need to build a hawse that hangs down low. The line must feed straight onto the drum, or you will end up seriously kinking your line and marring it on the side of the spool. It happens when your pulling in over ruts and the vehicle jerks from side to side. It will/could end up looking like a backlash on a spinning reel. But you probably already know that.

j
I think I have that wrong and you are correct (I don't even have one on my truck and you do..) it should be over drum, and it has been a long time since I winched anything out (except pulling a vehicle onto my trailer). If you have any old pictures of your tear down maybe you can zoom in to see if the "VIKING" is cast in yours. Not that it makes a big deal but it is interesting digging into these boxes.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #14
jeffahart

Quote:
I think I have that wrong and you are correct (I don't even have one on my truck and you do..) it should be over drum, and it has been a long time since I winched anything out (except pulling a vehicle onto my trailer). If you have any old pictures of your tear down maybe you can zoom in to see if the "VIKING" is cast in yours. Not that it makes a big deal but it is interesting digging into these boxes.
I have limited pics of internals, they are mostly of the gear swap for smooth shaft. I didn't notice any castings. It makes you wonder about what companies folded first. Maybe some of the surviving companies used inventory consumed from bought up or folded companies. Very interesting! But if a part had an external Hickey Casting and internal Viking on the same part.. that would be really telling!
Old 06-30-2019, 01:29 AM   #15
wazzabie

I've wondered also if the Hickey worm drive winches where made by Thor/ Desert Dynamics. Here are some pics of my Desert Dynamics winch currently attached to a 73-78 chevy mount. The cover with the 8 bolts is comparable to the Hickey worm winch. The winch I have is marked with both Thor and Desert Dynamics.

Its upside down but it says THOR on the cover.

wazzabie is offline   Reply With Quote