The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
Turbo85GMC

My 85 GMC Project

I thought it was about time to start a thread on the build-up of my truck. Let's see, it's an '85 GMC C1500 with a 305 and a 4-speed SM465 with granny first gear. I got it back in... hmm... I think it was '04. The guy I bought it from was the nephew of the original owner, and used it as a daily driver. The reason he said he was selling it was that it would overheat. I checked out the engine the best I could for signs of dammage from overheating, seemed ok. I made a low-ball offer and drove it home.

First thing I did was replace the entire cooling system. New radiator, water pump, thermostat, hoses. Problem solved, hasn't overheated since.

In order to pass the state inspection I had to replace the washer motor, fix the plate lights, replace a ball joint, replace the windhield, and replace the muffler & exhaust pipes. That took until the next summer.

Used the truck to move that summer and the wife saw the benefits of having a truck.

The truck started to stink like gas and I found a pin-hole leak in the gas tank from rust. Replaced it with a poly tank. In the fall I had to replace the heater core after it blew and gave me a steam bath on the way to work. I also rewired the headlights to use relays at some point in there.

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 04-06-2009 at 09:49 AM. Reason: corrected year as per OP
Turbo85GMC is offline   Reply With Quote