The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2023, 05:44 PM   #1
OneBad71

Need Help

Hello, I have a 71 C10 that started as a project in 2006 when I took it apart. Life happened and I started back on it last year. It was a small block , auto truck. I installed a Big block 496 with a TH400. It is a roller now and I'm working on getting the truck pieces painted. When I ordered the motor from Blueprint I ordered the Long water pump kit for it. I installed all of the front group and I decided to mock up the core support. What i;m seeing is there isn't much room for a radiator with electric fans ? Was I supposed to go with the Short water pump set up ? I am so bummed that I really don't know what to do ? I'm 68 and i'm not a mechanic but I can work on cars to a limit.
Any help on what I need to do , or if you have been in my position would be Greatly appreciated ! Thank you, Dan
OneBad71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:40 AM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Need Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad71 View Post
Hello, I have a 71 C10 that started as a project in 2006 when I took it apart. Life happened and I started back on it last year. It was a small block , auto truck. I installed a Big block 496 with a TH400. It is a roller now and I'm working on getting the truck pieces painted. When I ordered the motor from Blueprint I ordered the Long water pump kit for it. I installed all of the front group and I decided to mock up the core support. What I'm seeing is there isn't much room for a radiator with electric fans ? Was I supposed to go with the Short water pump set up ? I am so bummed that I really don't know what to do ? I'm 68 and i'm not a mechanic but I can work on cars to a limit.
Any help on what I need to do , or if you have been in my position would be Greatly appreciated ! Thank you, Dan

Yep, a "long water pump" BBC won't fit, there isn't ANY room for electric fans.. Nor is there even enough room for conventional fan clutch and shroud.. Ask me how i know...

My '71 came originally with an I6 engine.. At some point in it's life, a long pump 454 was installed. They left the I6 "guard plate" on the top of the radiator. Also they installed a square body diesel radiator and a flex fan. It was a total hack job.. I installed a Derale cooling system -- aluminum radiator and 2 electric fans with accompanying fabricated shroud.. I encountered the same problem you have.. Rather than acquire a short water pump, pulleys, and all the bracketry for alternator, A/C, and power steering pump, I elected to go with POL engine mounting brackets and an "engineered" transmission cross member.. Moved the engine back about 1 1/2" and shortened the drive shaft and exhaust a like amount.. I now have about 3/4" clearance between the water pump snout and those electric fans.. Tight at the firewall, but it works.. Point of interest: This approach won't work if you have a column mount shifter.

I wouldn't suggest that route to anyone.. Do it right.. Get all the stuff you'll need for the short water pump.. Pulleys, brackets, pump, etc.. Then even a fan clutch and shroud will fit. The hard part is locating the brackets and pulleys.
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:17 PM   #3
OneBad71

Thanks for the reply. I am going to remove everything and start over. I'm going to contact CVF and order everything for a short water pump and hope I will have enough room for a new radiator with electric fans . No more project after I someday finish this truck, fingers crossed.
Without the truck being together, I really don't know where the Core support will sit ? Is there a way to measure off another truck to get a close estimate ?
Thanks Dan
Old 08-21-2023, 02:52 PM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBad71 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am going to remove everything and start over. I'm going to contact CVF and order everything for a short water pump and hope I will have enough room for a new radiator with electric fans . No more project after I someday finish this truck, fingers crossed.
Without the truck being together, I really don't know where the Core support will sit ? Is there a way to measure off another truck to get a close estimate ?
Thanks Dan
I'm not sure how knowing that measurement will help you determine anything.. I just checked that dimension on my '71.. From the firewall at the top where the cowl sits to the back edge of the core support, down the center line of the vehicle is 37 inches..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:23 PM   #5
OneBad71

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
I'm not sure how knowing that measurement will help you determine anything.. I just checked that dimension on my '71.. From the firewall at the top where the cowl sits to the back edge of the core support, down the center line of the vehicle is 37 inches..
Nick, My cab isn't on the frame . It's just a roller right now. I was just trying to see how much room I have with the core support in place. Thanks Dan