The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2023, 01:42 PM   #1
DBear

Fuel system question

My 71 K10 burb has a stock 350, 4spd, with a Edelbrock 1405 carb. I want to clean up the plumbing. Currently has a mechanical fuel pump. My question, or questions, is what is best, electric fuel pump or mechanical, and why? The other part to the plumbing question is what is the best way to run hard line from the carb to the mechanical pump, with a a barrel style filter, or if I run an electric pump, how to run hard line's from the carb?
DBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:59 PM   #2
body bolt

Re: Fuel system question

I have a stock hard line from the stock mechanical FP to the carburetor on my '71 C10 350/350. I briefly had a jiggly pump in series before the stock pump when I was thinking I may have had a vapor lock issue, which turned out to be incorrect.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
DBear

[QUOTE=body bolt;9232576]I have a stock hard line from the stock mechanical FP to the carburetor on my '71 C10 350/350. I briefly had a jiggly pump in series before the stock pump when I was thinking I may have had a vapor lock issue, which turned out to be incorrect.[/QUOTE

How did you run a fuel filter with that hard line? I have a edelbrock carb, so what I am understanding that I will have to run a pressure regulator with it as well.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:08 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

For a stock or near stock engine, mechanical pump all the way. I cut the tube between the fuel pump and carb and added my filter there before it goes into my Edelbrock. Best thing I have found for carbs, especially the Edelbrocks is run a 1" phenolic carb spacer to help with heat soak.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #5
leftybass209

The choice between electric and mechanical will be dictated largely by how you plan to use the vehicle, and what extra parts or pieces you may need to accompany the project.

In warm climates Edelbrocks typically need some other/diferent parts to accompany any new fuel lines to help it run faultlessly. Low fuel pressure, thick carb gasket/phenolic spacer, or a return fuel line would all significantly help that carb. Figure all of that out now, before you bend lines and decide you needed a regulator.

If you run an electric fuel pump you should also look into an emergency shut off in case of an accident or wiring issue.

For a daily driver i prefer mechanical pumps with a return line as close to the carb inlet as possible. All lines made of metal, metal fuel filters, and only enough soft line to accommodate for frame flex and unions between soft lines and fittings or filters.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:11 PM   #6
DBear

[QUOTE=body bolt;9232576]I have a stock hard line from the stock mechanical FP to the carburetor on my '71 C10 350/350. I briefly had a jiggly pump in series before the stock pump when I was thinking I may have had a vapor lock issue, which turned out to be incorrect.[/QUOTE

How did you run a fuel filter with that hard line? I have a edelbrock carb, so what I am understanding that I will have to run a pressure regulator with it as well.
Old 08-21-2023, 03:23 PM   #7
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
The choice between electric and mechanical will be dictated largely by how you plan to use the vehicle, and what extra parts or pieces you may need to accompany the project.

In warm climates Edelbrocks typically need some other/diferent parts to accompany any new fuel lines to help it run faultlessly. Low fuel pressure, thick carb gasket/phenolic spacer, or a return fuel line would all significantly help that carb. Figure all of that out now, before you bend lines and decide you needed a regulator.

If you run an electric fuel pump you should also look into an emergency shut off in case of an accident or wiring issue.

For a daily driver i prefer mechanical pumps with a return line as close to the carb inlet as possible. All lines made of metal, metal fuel filters, and only enough soft line to accommodate for frame flex and unions between soft lines and fittings or filters.
Does the Edelbrock 1405 need a pressure regulator?
Old 08-21-2023, 03:29 PM   #8
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBear View Post
You can cut the hard line, flare the end, and add a section of fuel line with hose clamps
or, there are a few different methods of adding AN fittings to hard line using crush collar, etc.

or, there are several brands that have an L shaped hard line that runs cleanly under the linkage and uses a banjo fitting at the carb inlet. It can accomodate a screw on fuel filter, hard line, a regulator, etc.

You would either have to run a regulator, an electric fuel pump with a built in regulator, or an edelbrock fuel pump that is designed for low fuel pressure. Even the OTC pumps that claim to be low pressure, typically put out more than their rating and ultimately more than the Edelbrock can handle.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

[quote=DBear;9232598]
Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I have a stock hard line from the stock mechanical FP to the carburetor on my '71 C10 350/350. I briefly had a jiggly pump in series before the stock pump when I was thinking I may have had a vapor lock issue, which turned out to be incorrect.[/QUOTE

I have a similar setup. 75 C10 350/350 Eddy 1405. Stock mechanical fuel pump. My OEM hard line was broken many years ago during a Q-jet swap. Have since used fuel injection rubber line to bridge the gap. I think Eddy used to make a hard line kit to run from a 1405 to a chevy mechanical pump. Not sure if they still do. A lot of things went out of stock during covid.

I use a 3/8" in-line fuel filter on the suction side of the pump in the line from the frame to pump. IIRC - Fram G3.

As for the pressure regulator, 'common' wisdom is you need one. I have never used one over 25+ years of running the 1405. What IS important is to verify your float height is set properly.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #10
DBear

I do have a 1" phenolic carb spacer already installed on the carb. Probably stick with the mechanical fuel pump, and just clean up the rest of the plumbing. Edelbrock sells a kit #8131, which mounts to the carb with the banjo style bolt. The kit also comes with a filter. Just trying to decide if I should get the pressure regulator. The summit one isn't too expensive, just will add more fittings and such.

https://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-813.../dp/B000630HW2
Old 08-21-2023, 04:22 PM   #11
WHYBYNU
WHYBYNU when old will do

Here what I run to my 1406 Eldebrock with a braided mechanical fuel pump line. Hope this helps..
Attached Images

4/6 drop
20x8.5 / 20x10 Billet Specialties
WHYBYNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:24 PM   #12
DBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYBYNU View Post
Here what I run to my 1406 Eldebrock with a braided mechanical fuel pump line. Hope this helps..
LOL...I was just looking at the silver version.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #13
MikeB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYBYNU View Post
Here what I run to my 1406 Eldebrock with a braided mechanical fuel pump line.
Very clean!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 24 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:41 PM   #14
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I have been running my Edelbrock for 10+ years without regulator or return line. The spacer helped with heat down here in south Mississippi. It did OK without it, but it is happier with it.

Can't find the recent pictures, but this is what I did on it to get it home beforce the spacer. It's not as close to the heater hose as it looks.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote