The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
AceX
>130dB Moderator

Post Big Tunes on a Small Budget

Big Tunes on a Small Budget

Lets face it guys, the economy sucks. Consequently alot of us are looking at more budget-appropriate approaches to everything, even our beloved trucks. One of the first things that guys remove from their to-do list is a rockin' stereo, but it doesn't have to be that way. I've compiled a parts list that will give you exceptional results and won't leave you eating Ramen noodles from now on...

First thing on my line-up is the one that we get the most questions about, so I will have two items to pick. First is for the guys who won't cut their dash; Retrosound USA has the ideal solution. Their "Model One" offers an all-in-one solution to the problem of fitting a modern radio into a knob style opening. The radio has a 240watt internal amplifier which can drive a set of small speakers if you wish as well as a pair of RCA outputs for an external amplifier, front and rear USB inputs for MP3/flash drive (no iPod needed) and SD cards (like in your digital camera), an easy to read LCD screen, and a full function 18-button remote. This unit is very easy to use and install and has a very stock look, adding to the security because let's face it, no one is ripping out old knob style radios... The "Model One" will set you back $300 after shipping.

For those of us that have a slightly larger hole in our sheet metal, the Pioneer DEH-4200UB. This deck offers everything that you could want in a modern CD-receiver. A 200watt internal amp, 3 sets of RCA outputs, and the easiest iPod connection ever. At just $200, its a very good buy and can be used by anyone with a pulse.

Now that you will have something to feed a signal to your amp, we need to choose an amp and in my opinion, for the budget minded build there's none better than the Kicker ZX550.3. This amp delivers reliable, stable, clean power with good looks to boot. It has a dedicated sub channel, putting out 400watts @ 2ohm and 85watts @ 2ohm for the speakers. Although not the most compact amplifier, it gets the job done, and at just $250, it won't leave us with only lint in our pockets.

Lastly I need to move onto speakers which is an area that I'm going to advise you to get out there and listen to various brands and prices. If that's not an option, I personally recommend the Pioneer TS-D1720C component set. These will sound amazing in some nice kick panel enclosures which you can make yourself very easily, or order form Capt Kaos at 73-87chevytrucks.com. At just $110 for a set, you can't go wrong with this very budget minded component set.

Lastly, we need a sub that the masses can drop right into their truck and once again, Pioneer TS-SWX310 which is a 12" shallow subwoofer which has already been built into a prefabbed box that will fit in our trucks without any issues. All you will have to do is hook up the power connections from the amplifier and secure it and you're golden. At a measly $140+shipping, this is an awesome solution for getting some low-end grunt into the system.

Now, to wire all this in a kit is best. All you will need to do si get a proper fuse and you're set. The Stinger SPK5641R is the most complete kit with enough power/ground wire, terminals, speaker wire, remote turn-on wire, a fuse holder, and even zip ties to help keep everything organized. What more could you ask for.

Now, as to where to find all these wonderful parts, everything but the "Model One" radio can be found on sonicelectronix.com and woofersetc.com I would encourage you to go to an authorized retailer with at a 'brick and mortar' location. Any questions can be posted in the 'Truck Audio' section of the board or sent to my personal email; ace95835@gmail.com and I will answer as quickly and completely as I can.

Links;

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=106

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...H-P4200UB.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...08ZX550.3.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-D1720C.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...TS-SWX310.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...41R+-RED-.html

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
Ackattack

Re: Big Tunes on a Small Budget

Great write up, and I'm on board!

I already got the Pioneer TS-D1720C speakers. I went with the Retrosound Classic head unit. Basically the same headunit as the model one, but with no SD card reader/usb input and rear aux.

I does have a front aux input and that's enough for me and it's about $100 cheaper.

I'm working on making my kick panel speaker mounts.

Shortly on down the road, I will also be getting an amp and sub too. I may go with a different sub since I have "a vision" of what I want the sub box / enclosure to look like. For me, since I relocated my gas tank, I need to do something with that space to make it usefull (storage) and include a sub while also looking nice. More fiberglass!

Last edited by Ackattack; 05-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

Thanks for taking the time to write this all down, its very helpful. I really like your chevy logo box and door panels!
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM   #4
Brett09

I have to say that this is a clean write up. The most important thing in any audio system is match everything. Your weakest link will rate you system, and it does. If you go cheap get everything cheap. Same goes for mid and top of the line. That counts down to the wires and quality of install. You really couldn't take the same amount of money per component and get a better outcome.

Not that it makes any difference on this setup but you said the radio was rated for 200 watts. That's the max watts. Max watts are the marketing number that mean pretty much nothing to you and I. It's rated for 88 watts RMS. Until the auto manufactures make the supply wire bigger the watts will always be around 20-25 watts per channel. It's also the same reason there is a 20 amp fuse on the yellow wire on just about every radio you see. Thought you might find that fun fact interesting.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
54Caddy
GM Addicted

ahaha good old sonicelectronix thats where all my equipment is from matt.

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:17 AM   #6
AceX
>130dB Moderator

I needed an internet source for parts so that everyone could both see and if they wanted, order the parts. I strongly encourage everyone to go to their local retailers however. Sonicelectronix does not warranty their parts and they are not an authorized retailer for, well, anything really.

Friend. Father. Brother.
RIP El Jay

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLICK HERE and for less than $0.07 a day, you too can help support and build a better forum.
AceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
54Caddy
GM Addicted

matt they do warranty some products i have a warranty on my subs from them. They also are authorized retailers for some products but not many at all ahaha

My 73 GMC Truck Build Pic
2010 Silverado 4/6 on 24s

IG:MacsGarage
54Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
AirSpeed

A good way to save some money is to buy some generic speakers, most high dollar, name brand speakers are WAY over priced! You can buy nice subs from "partsexpress". Most speakers are built in the same factories and they slap a logo on them and raise the price. Partsexpress sells some very high quality subs under the name "Dayton" most are just as good if not better than drivers from Pioneer, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, etc. They sell capacitors, inductors and resistors to build your own crossovers and the website has links to speaker box calculators and crossover calculators that help you design the best box and crossovers you can find.
I build a lot of speakers and custom cabinets that sound a lot better than name brand speakers that cost 4 to 10 times the price. Most of the drivers I use are Dayton. Partsexpress has a great forum as well, the guys there are very helpful.
Here's a pick of some home speaks I built recently. I used all Dayton drivers, they are a lot less expensive than "name brand" drivers and these sound exceptional,(if I do say so myself) you can use most of their drivers in your truck as well. Aaron

Last edited by AirSpeed; 06-19-2010 at 10:46 PM.
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
Brett09

Thanks for the site info, their products look like nice quality stuff. Great looking towers.
Brett09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:07 AM   #10
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett09 View Post
Thanks for the site info, their products look like nice quality stuff. Great looking towers.
Thanks! Look at the buyout driver section on their website, you can get some excallent deals on drivers and lots of other components. Sign up for their monthly flyer, it's full of great deals, I usually buy a few pair out of every issue, the prices are that good. They sell a lot of overstocked drivers from companies like Infinity, Polk, etc. Those companies buy their drivers from manufacturers in Taiwan and China, they order the drivers to spec, put their own name on them and pretend they build them themselves. When the design new cabinets for the new year they sell all the leftover drivers to companies like PartsExspress and P.E. Sells them cheap!
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote