The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-29-2012, 11:26 PM   #1
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Markeb01 Build Thread

Although random pictures have shown them before, right after I painted the glovebox door black was about the time the decal idea was formed. (Apologies for the photos that are out of sequence, but if I waited to make everything perfect I would never have started this thread). I've seen a lot of glove box doors chrome plated or pinstriped, but I haven't seen any application of racing decals since the 60's when it was popular. So I gave it a shot. This is the first batch.

The Fremont sticker has memories for me as I used to live about a mile from the strip. It was great being out in the pool during the summer listening to the fuelers run.

From the start I thought the Autometer sticker was too new so I started looking for something more vintage and interesting. It didn’t take too long to find a 62-68 style Hurst sticker. It’s more in keeping with the time period I'm after. Here are a couple of snaps after the change:

Since they’re all on a separate panel, if I ever get tired of the whole idea I can always strip them off and repaint the door.

Although mentioned earlier here are a few clock photos starting with the Autometer that failed within a few weeks of purchase.

The shipping charges and hassle to get it fixed caused me to change course. Since I depended on the clock, I wanted something accurate and reliable so I started shopping for an airplane clock. I really wanted a vintage wind up clock with a 24 hour face like this one:

I never could find one at an affordable price, so I had to settle for a current production electric clock. The beauty of this thing is it keeps perfect time. If the battery isn’t disconnected, it’s never off even by a minute over months of time. It’s as accurate as my cell phone. So while it wasn’t my first choice, I certainly can’t complain about functionality:

If a 24 hour Wakmann ever does turn up at a price I can afford I’ll probably swap out the electric clock. One of my other hobbies/passions happens to be wind up time pieces.

Last edited by markeb01; 03-09-2012 at 01:26 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote