The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
HTX86chevy

will this system be ok?

ok, i have a 1986 swb c10. here is what i have: Sony xplod deck (rms output 17watts- peak 52 watts) , the dash speakers are kicker factory replacements that sound like crap with the bass a level 2 on the deck. the rear speakers are 6x9 jvc's (80 watts rms - 510 peak) i have an amp for the 6x9's that is a kenwood (350 peak watts- 60pms) also have an amp for a subwoofer that is also a kenwood mono class d (600watt peak - 200 2x1 rms) <~dont know what (2x1) means.

any suggestions on what sub i should purchase? im really cheap when it comes to the sound system , but i would like it to sound nice..... not at all at competition level, but something enjoyable as this is my daily driver.

Should i connect the dash speakers to the amp as well or just disconnect them?
would everything "flow" together nicely or did i waste my time/money. im new to this so any advice would be helpful.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
dukcaln

Re: will this system be ok?

I am no expert but it is a good idea to have the speakers and sub on two different amps... replace the crappy speakers with some cheap pioneer or something.... any good 10" 0r 12" single sub will give you that nice background sound and base with an amp... your in the ball park on what you want to do with your stuff
Old 07-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
4ofakind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX86chevy View Post
ok, i have a 1986 swb c10. here is what i have: Sony xplod deck (rms output 17watts- peak 52 watts) , the dash speakers are kicker factory replacements that sound like crap with the bass a level 2 on the deck. the rear speakers are 6x9 jvc's (80 watts rms - 510 peak) i have an amp for the 6x9's that is a kenwood (350 peak watts- 60pms) also have an amp for a subwoofer that is also a kenwood mono class d (600watt peak - 200 2x1 rms) <~dont know what (2x1) means.

any suggestions on what sub i should purchase? im really cheap when it comes to the sound system , but i would like it to sound nice..... not at all at competition level, but something enjoyable as this is my daily driver.

would everything "flow" together nicely or did i waste my time/money. im new to this so any advice would be helpful.
What is the volume level set @ when Bass is @ 2? Do dash speakers sound bad @ any volume level? If so they may be blown and need replacing. If not get a passive crossover for them and cut out some of the midbass by allowing only frequencies above say 600Hz to play through them.
Don't connect the dash speakers to the amp if it is a 2ch amp as this will lower the impedance (resistance) on the amp and increase the power output felt by the speakers. If your speakers are not already blown, this will certainly do the trick if they are not rated to handle the power.

You could run your front speakers off just the deck, but I would recommend a new set of speakers that can handle the power and run them off the amp w/ the 6x9's. This will keep the back speakers from over powering the fronts and pulling your soundstage to the rear (what you hear will sound more behind you than in front). It will also keep the bass from overpowering the highs so you actually hear a song and not just a bass track.

Alpine, MTX, Crunch, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. are all relatively inexpensive subwoofer brands. An 8 or 10" in a reg cab truck would be plenty in a properly built box.

Mal
4ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
nate_g_2003

A single 10" in a sealed box will give you some nice, tight bass that will go along with the music and not make everything rattle. I prefer Rockford Fosgate for subs, they are priced pretty good and are good quality. Lightning Audio is the cheaper version of R-F, made by R-F. Very similar quality, but lower price.
2005 Ford F150 Lariat SCrew 2WD "The Daily Driver" SOLD
1995 GMC Sierra C1500 SLE "The Daily Driver"SOLD
2003 Ford Ranger Edge 2DSC 2WD Flareside "The Daily Driver/Project"SOLD
nate_g_2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX86chevy View Post

if you haven't blown up the dash speakers, get a crossover to stop the dash speakers from try'n to handle bass, like said above a ut off of 600 should do it.
I've parchal to jl subs, but rockfordfosgate are good, even a fairly cheap one will do.. the difference in cost is how much power you can throw at them..
any 12" speaker will go down to 20hz in the right box. the louder you want it, the higher the cost.. remember this as you look for one..
if you're not into heavy bass music (rap/dance/tecno) and don't need everybody knowing you're coming 5 blocks away. most any 12" will work..
but if you need that "thump" and u'r homies hearing you coming. you'll want a better one..
good luck..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
HTX86chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
don't need everybody knowing you're coming 5 blocks away. most any 12" will work..
but if you need that "thump" and u'r homies hearing you coming. you'll want a better one..
good luck..
^^this is hilarious ^^
I definitely do not need to be heard 5 blocks away and could care less about what my homies think. I do listen to alot of Rap though, but also listen to spanish, soft rock, and quite a bit of Country so i would like to have something with better sound quality. alot of my "homies" lol, have a trunk full of bass and i can barely hear the lyrics to the songs over all the bang.

can one of you post a link to a "crossover thing" that you guys would recommend.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

ask and you shall
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127BB60...arch=crossover
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
HTX86chevy

So, I got the bass blockers for the front speakers as was recommend by you guys...... I ended up going with a Pioneer Shallow Mount sub in a small box . (from local Audio place) . AND everything together sounds amazing!
Nice crisp clear music and none of that "BLAHDATBLAP" rattle lol. Thanks for your help guys. Here is a few pics of what I have so far. I promise I'll clean it up and make it look neater in a day or two this was just to test it.

the 6x9's are in a pair of JEFF's speaker brackets... I get compliments on those all the time!
Old 08-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #9
4ofakind

Always good when a plan comes together inexpensively.
Congrats.

Mal
4ofakind is offline   Reply With Quote