The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2005, 11:38 AM   #1
68crum
Proud owner of a P.O.S.

disc brakes???

In order to put power disk brakes on the front of my 68 2wd, what year donor truck do i need? Can I use a later model than 72'? I need all the help I can get!
68crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
dennislbrooks

Re: disc brakes???

Ok, you have many choices, 1) you can remove the saddle and suspension in whole from a 73-87 C10--remove yours and bolt up to your frame. 2) you can use spindles from 73-87 just make sure you use the upper and lower balljoints that match the spindle year. Your 68 outer tie rod is 5/8 LH thread --you will need to modify the 11/16 RH thread for the model year of the spindles you choose. Some spindles will only use a 5 lug rotor 1" thick--for these you cannot get a 6 lug rotor. Some are HD and are 1.25" thick. For these there are after market 6 lug rotors and 5 lug rotors available. If going with 5 lug, get calipers and rotors for the model year of the spindles.
3) Or you can use the 71-87 the donor upper and lower a-arms complete with spindles and bolt them to your saddle. 4) Unless you are putting disc on the back you will need a proportioning valve of some type for the rear drums to keep them from locking up before the front disc. The splitter block you have now does not proportion.

Example--my 67 has 72 spindles with 72 calipers and McNaughy's 6 lug rotors - 1.25" thick--large inner bearing. I have a set of 87 spindles Light duty--small inner bearing --- that would use the 1" thick 5 lug rotors only -- I have the 87 upper and lower balljoints that will fit the 63-70 a-arms-- I have 87 outer tie rods that I rethreaded to 5/8" LH thread, All 71-87 outer tie rods for C10's are 11/16" RH threads. The pin tapers are different for the various years so you do need to use the correct outer tie rod.
dennislbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote