The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-20-2002, 04:25 PM   #1
dropped72shortbed

Post anyone ordered from king parts or chevy duty? (door panels and seat cover)

ive been shopping for a bench seat cover and maybe some 72 door panels if i dont decide to make my own. seems that chevy duty has the lowest price on a 72 scroll seat cover at only $175. i noticed most other companys averaged $225-250 for the same item. as for the door panels, king parts has them for $129 whereas most other companys are selling them for $150-180

now i, like the next man, obviously want to get my stuff for the cheapest possible. however im not willing to sacrafice for quality. has anyone seen the panels or seat covers from chevy duty and king parts? its definetly cheaper but if the quality is also lower then im willing to go elsewhere and spend more.

let me know guys.

dropped72shortbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
COBALT

I'd try to go used on the door panels. A little refinishing and painting never killed anyone. Cheaper too.

------------------
'69 3/4 ton C20 2wd w/ 350ci/400THM and a wood bed!
'69 3/4 ton Custom 20 2wd w/ ORIGINAL 350ci/4sp Manual and a wood bed (parts beast).
Seattle, WA.

*See pics of my trucks and project at www.webshots.com!
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:32 PM   #3
Baradium
Binder Rep

I've heard a lot of different stuff about those cheap parts. I think there is someone on here who bought a tailgate and it bent when he sat down on it.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 04:47 PM   #4
Tim Christian

Smile

I would call and ask David at Kingparts or Chevy Duty tech. support. Most suppliers(maybe not all) get there parts from the same place. A lot of things they are only one part producer for it. Its just comes in diffrent boxes. Anyway David or any other part supplier on the board will give you a honest opinon.

------------------
67 GMC Stepside(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
67 GMC Custom
67 Chevy C-30

Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 05:29 PM   #5
dropped72shortbed

"I'd try to go used on the door panels. A little refinishing and painting never killed anyone. Cheaper too."

i looked at some used ones, they usually still go for 1/2 as much (or more) as the new ones cost. they also are sometimes scuffed and have cracks, for the work to paint them and try repair cracks and scuffs that may not come out looking perfect, id rather spend the extra $40-60 on new ones.

Old 05-20-2002, 06:18 PM   #6
GMCPaul

Thumbs down

Go used in this case as there is only one 1972 door panel manufacturer and they are rushing the manufacturing process causing the door panels to shrink so they end up from 1/4"-3/4" to small overall this places alignment of woodgrain, trim, handles, attaching points etc.... out by 1/2 of the amount panel is to small, so if its to small by 1/4" you are out 1/8" at all mounting and attaching points. If its 3/4" out your off by 3/8" everywhere.
This is not something that is out of the ordinary either. I spoke with Brothers and had them examine their stock and out of over 30 1972 door panels they had in stock a 1/4" to small overall was the closest to being right and the majority fell 1/2 way between 1/4" out and 3/4". We have encountered the same thing here with every single one we brought in here. In most instances when I see something occur like this I can go to 1/2 dozen other manufacturers doing the same part and get good ones but as I said 72 door panels are only made by 1 manufacturer.
So don't plan on original woodgrain or new woodgrain made on GM's original tooling, the SS trim, or anything else fitting and looking correct.
GMCPaul
PS- This has been the case for approx. 1 year now, when manufacturer was quized as to why this was the case they stated they felt the problem wasn't that bad and that with the manufacturing process some shrinkage is to be expected and that they had no plans to change the process. Well GM didn't expierence this problem and neither would this manufacturer if they slowed the curing process and left them in the molds longer.
------------------
Online Catalog for-GMCPauls Truck Parts.com
67 LWB GMC SuperCustom Fleetside
67 LWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Stepside
67 SWB GMC Fleetside
67 SWB Chevy CST Fleetside
67 LWB Chevy CST Fleet
67 SWB Chevy Stepside
67 LWB Chevy Stepside
68 2wd Chevy 1/2 t. Panel
68 Chevy Panel 1/2Ton 4X4
68 LWB Chevy Fleet 4X4
69 SWB Chevy Stepside
71 GMC Suburban 402/400
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
72 LWB Chevy Camper Special
Nope not a typo 2-72 Camper Specials
and no they are NOT FOR SALE MINE MINE MINE and we accept ALL 67 Refugees Looking For More Never Enough!!!

[This message has been edited by GMC Paul (edited May 20, 2002).]
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 07:12 PM   #7
dropped72shortbed

i wasnt planning on running any wood or trim, just armrest, handles and windowcranks.
is the mounting positions that messed up as well?

thanks, looks like i may stick to just making my own flat door panels. only problem is the window cranks and handles will stick out alot since i have a 72. anyway to fix that?

Old 05-20-2002, 07:39 PM   #8
nroden

Well I was gonna say that I hear that Chevy Duty and David King are both good. Chevy Duty is in my local area also. I normally order from GMCPaul but since he replied I would listen to him. He knows his stuff!

------------------
Nick Rodenberg
Wellington, MO
http://nickrod.port5.com
You can click on "My 72 Chevy Truck"
I have a 72 Cheyenne 10 with a V8 350 and a TH-350 auto-tranny.
white/ochre/white/ochre
ochre/saddle interior
Runs well... working on body.
Plan to get painted weekend before memorial day weekend.
Planned to be done March 7 when I turned 16. Didn't happen. Chose to do better job and be behind schedule instead of 1/2 doing it and it looking like junk.

Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Tim Christian

Thumbs up

See a honest opinon from someone who knows. Thats why I love this board!

------------------
67 GMC Stepside(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
67 GMC Custom
67 Chevy C-30

Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 01:23 AM   #10
dmnall

Exclamation

I have ordered patch panels from Chevy Duty and they seem to be great, I have no complaints !!

------------------
Truck #1 68 Chev LWB Fleet w/ Wood Floor (Sucks Gas and Hauls Ass!) and in process of Body Work...

Truck #2 1994 GMC Sierra SL w/ 4.3L Vortec V6, 4L60E Auto!!

2008 Honda Civic Si *lease*
dmnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 02:39 AM   #11
72'BBGMCSGCC

Question

So what other options do all of us have for 72' door panels if our old ones are messed up and we can't get new ones to fit?
72'BBGMCSGCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 09:14 AM   #12
kingparts

We tell people to try to find a good set of used door panels if they still want to use the woodgrain, like Paul said they don't fit right. We are working with a company now on producing different variations of the woodgrain, carbon fiber is one of the materials with right around 30 different styles. It includes the dash bezels also to match. We should be posting pictures of what we will be selling pretty soon. There are a different people making the seat covers so watch which one you buy. There are ones that will work but don't quite fit right in the back, to short. The colors of interior do vary,one color from one company is usually a little different from another. Some companies do try to work together to get the colors as close as possible. Some places offer interior kits but might not worry about colors matching but put kits together from different places determined by cost of parts. We match up what we sell with original equipment so know the colors are as close as original.
David www.kingparts.com
Old 05-21-2002, 11:10 AM   #13
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

I agree w/ David and Paul on the door panels. I ordered a set from Chevy Duty and they WILL NOT WORK with the woodgrain inserts, plus the overall quality sucks. If you want to see how bad they are check out:
http://www.lunarpages.com/pattson/maych/mh_pro_4b.htm

(If you can't veiw the site, try back later as they only allow me so much bandwidth per day)

What I can't figure is, if the vendor knows they aren't going to work with the woodgrain inserts, why not say so in the catalog. By the time you figure out they won't work, you've already cut holes for the metal trim, so you can't return them - big $$$ wasted. VERY BAD FOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS.

------------------
72 Sierra Grande - "Maych"

If a man speaks in the middle of a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote