The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
get me on the road
No Matter What.

04 Blazer- Torsion bar bushings.

I need to replace the passenger side torsion bar bushings on my grampas 04 4x4 Blazer. Has anyone done this before? I've never done them before and I'm looking for any help. Thanks.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
get me on the road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
corn

Re: 04 Blazer- Torsion bar bushings.

No clue, but maybe 68C15 will jump in here with an idea. My guess is he's done it...
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #3
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I assume you are referring to the ones mounte on either end of the torsion bar X-member. trhey are a simple job. use a floor jack to hold the xmember while you R & R the mounts. do one at a time. get them from the dealer (better quality).
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
get me on the road
No Matter What.

From what I remember, and I cant look at the truck again because its out of state, the bushing that I want to replace I think is in the control arm, I know for sure that its up front by the engine. Does both sides of one bar have a bushing, for a total of 4 bushings if I did both sides? Thanks.
86 Mercury Cougar /89 Olds 88 /88 Chevy S-10 /84 Pontiac Firebird(I miss it) /91 Chevy S-10
Old 09-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
get me on the road
No Matter What.

ttt
Old 09-19-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

I just worked on an '01 today. there are no bushings in contact with the TORSION bars. is it possible you are referring to the SWAY bar? it runs from the drivers lower arm to the passenger arm. it has bushings where it mounts to the frame and has what are referred to as LINK on each end where it attaches to the lower control arms.
the torsion bars function as a spring to suspend the front of the truck. the sway bar acts as a device to control the side to side movement of the vehicle.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #7
get me on the road
No Matter What.

I'm sure its not the stab links. Did the 01 have 2 bars that ran front to half way back below the driver and passenger, on the underside of the vehicle? When I looked at my grandpas there was alot of that soft crud that gets built up, like if oil leaked, or some other fluid, and dirt stuck to it. Anyways, I knocked some of that off and it felt like there was a hard rubber bushing in there. The reason I want to replace that bushing is because there is a sound coming from the passenger front when you hit bumps. Me and a few other guys have checked and rechecked everything in the front. But without putting it up on a lift. The sound, sounds like there is a socket or screw driver in the heater box, but you cant feel it in the heater box. But whatever it is can be felt in the "hang on" bar thats on the passenger side dash. At the same time its not really loud, just annoying. And it comes and goes, but it will do it on every trip. Which leads me to believe something is rattleing then binding and coming loose, and repeats, over and over. Top that off with the fact that it was hit on that side and alot of stuff was replaced. Any suggestions?

Last edited by get me on the road; 09-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

remove the sound panel under the pass. side of the dash. look up there behind the glovebox for a small plastic box that may be hanging loose. it is originally held with velcro but sometimes comes loose.
its hard for me to say without hearing it myself. let me brain storm on this one.
how hard was the hit? was the "A" pillar deformed? on the pass. side there is a bulkhead connector which attaches to the dash. are the bolts that mount the dash to the "A" pillar tight? there is 2 of them that take a 13mm socket and are inboard of the dash housing.
do all of the HVAC controls operate correctly? any warning indicators on in the cluster? ABS, SIR ect.
I am searching my mental data banks from last winter when I did a heater box on a guys 02. if need be I can get a hold of the guy for a closer inspection.

I am seriously doubting you have a problem with the torsion bars. they have so much force holding them under load they will not be able to move at the ends.

Last edited by 68C15; 09-20-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
get me on the road
No Matter What.

I did notice that the door and fender gaps were a little off, not much. I'll check out the things you mentioned when I get to his house this weekend, and let you know what I find. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:07 PM   #10
corn

Well known rattle spots on S10s to check
heat shields (give them a kick with your shoe when its cooled down to see if it rattles)

hood hinges (open the hood & shove a towel down around the hinge & take it for a drive. If that is the problem it can be fixed with washers)

upper shock mounts (especially if the shocks have been replaced)

sway bar ends

cab mounts (rusty floor pans will cause the mounts to make noise)

Check out the hood hinges first...
Old 09-23-2008, 10:15 PM   #11
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

oh yeah... I forgot about the hinges. thanks Larry
Old 09-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #12
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Thanks for the help guys, it was the passenger side hood hinge. I tucked a hand towel in there and drove it, no sound. My grandpa was very happy. Now, how do I fix it with washers? Do I take the bolt out that holds the 2 sides of the hinges together, and put a washer between the 2 sides of the hinges and put the bolt back in? Right now I have an old shoe lace, sorta pinched in the bottom of the hinge and tied up top, it'll work till I can get back out there.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:12 PM   #13
corn

Like $4 at your local dealership...

Found this on the web the other day...
http://media.putfile.com/clunkfix
Old 10-23-2008, 01:12 AM   #14
vanislejimmy

How can a guy stop the upper shock mounts from rattling? It seems like the eye on the shock is slightly larger than the bolt that goes through it.
vanislejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #15
get me on the road
No Matter What.

Finally got them, 2 washers for $8.65, outragous. I will be installing them later this month. My grandpa says he hasnt heard the sound since I tied a shoe lace around the hinge, and can finally enjoy driving. Thanks again.