The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
vanislejimmy

noisy upper shock mounts

I recently put new shocks in my 99 jimmy. Every time I hit a bump my truck makes a really loud rattling sound. I narrowed it down to the upper shock mounts in the front of the truck. It seems like the eye part of the shock that the bolt goes through is a little bit loose. I searched the forum and found out that it is a common problem. How do I get rid of the rattling?
vanislejimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #2
corn

Re: noisy upper shock mounts

Can you move the top mounts around at all?

Last edited by corn; 11-16-2008 at 02:48 AM.
corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #3
vanislejimmy

No the actual mounts themselves don't move. If I grab hold of the shock and pull on it there is a little bit of room for it to move on the bolt. The bolts are as tight as they will go. They don't move around at all.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
BarryB

put a flat washer in between to take up the space. It shouldn't hurt since its riding in a rubber grommet anyways.

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:18 AM   #5
vanislejimmy

I'm at work for a couple more weeks, but I'll give it a try when I get home. I don't know if it will work. The shock isn't sliding back and forth on the bolt it kind of rattles around on it if that makes sense. It's like I need a sleeve or something to make the bolt a little bit fatter.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
BarryB

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanislejimmy View Post
I'm at work for a couple more weeks, but I'll give it a try when I get home. I don't know if it will work. The shock isn't sliding back and forth on the bolt it kind of rattles around on it if that makes sense. It's like I need a sleeve or something to make the bolt a little bit fatter.
Oh, I can picture your problem. I would examine the differences in the diameters of both the bolt and the bushing. But actually just putting a washer in there(if Possible) might be enough to make it quit vibrating. Heck put you a little liquid nails in the hole that make it stop. May think I'm joking, but I have an Old Dodge van, and the front intake gasket started leaking. Didn't have time to pull it all apart, so cleaned it up and squeezed some liquid nails in there and it held and still holding. You might be a redneck if,

* You may be only one person in the world, But you may also be the world to one person.

* Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Two rules in life.
1. Never sweat the small stuff!
2. Everything is small stuff!
BarryB is offline   Reply With Quote