The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-06-2004, 12:06 AM   #1
sure_green

converting a 76-82 blazer to a full removable top

Hello Guys:

How have guys converted 73-82 blazers to full removable top using a 73-75 top.

What are some things to look out for.

Last edited by sure_green; 02-06-2004 at 12:10 AM.
sure_green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:16 PM   #2
71blazerman

I'm very interested in seeing how this is done. I have a 73-75 windshield frame available if you need one (cheap).

Just my two cents, if you're planning on using a soft top you're gonna have to make sure the windshield frame is secure enough to withstand the pull. The windshield frame on the 75 I had would flex a little when I put the softtop on.

Keep us updated, good luck

Scott

No more trucks.... someday though
71blazerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Check here: http://www.coloradok5.com/moneypit.shtml
Robbie did this on his truck. You might can aske him. Not sure if the email addy is any good, but it is worth a try.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:33 PM   #4
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Quote:
Originally posted by 71blazerman
I'm very interested in seeing how this is done. I have a 73-75 windshield frame available if you need one (cheap).

Scott
Scott,
Could you post your frame under the parts for sale on my site. Someone was asking me about that just last week and I couldn't find your post. You can post it here: http://pub158.ezboard.com/f7387chevytrucks88686frm13
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 02-06-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Grim Reaper

Search ck5.com
Steve )Mr Ck5) just did it, Yeild to Me, Muddin, Robbie and quite a few others have done it.

Quiet honestly I would just get a soft top. Muddin went to all the trouble to change the windsheild frame and now decided to sell her hard top...to much hassle to deal with. I didn't even put my hard top on this year.. It's just collecting mold. There is not problem putting a plate on the corner of the windsheild frame to hook the soft taop window frame too. It's much easier to do that then try to change the frame. The soft top does not use the seals that the hard top do so it does not need that changed.

Now the problem is this. A real roadster has a rocker box to keep the fire wall from leaning back. When the roof became a hard top the rocker boxes went away. You have to get that strength back.

Muddin added bracing from below with a rock slider welded in place of the rockers. Yeild, Steve and Robby all tied full roll cages into the kick pannels and headers. If you don't do something then the fire wall will lean back and the doors will never line up again. Yeild tried to get away without doing it and it took 2 days before he had problems. He ended up jacking the truck up by the rockers till the doors lined back up then built the cage and tied it in to the header.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

Steve converted his to full top too? WOW! Is he just a "member" of the forum now? I haven't talked to him in a LONG while. Is there a link to his pics?
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Old 02-08-2004, 11:08 PM   #7
Gregsmx

Here's an idea.... Grab a tub from a '73 - '75 and put it on the frame, swapping out the '82 tub.

Most all of the fenders, hood, tailgate, and interior will interchange.

The only '73-'75 only parts were the tub and the doors. Finding a decent tub is not impossible. The worst 'watch out' is for rust in the rear quarter fender wells. Even those can be cut and welded in from your '82.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, and it is, but this way you get late model chassis and interior with the true open top.

Of course, once the tub comes off, there's no limit to what you can and should do to clean up the rest of the truck. I ought to know, I never found a reasonable place to draw the line, and the next thing you know, the frame is powdercoated and every bolt has been replaced on the frame off!

But I wouldn't trade the experience, it has been a fun year doing this.

I still have the dolley the body rested on while off the chassis if you make the plunge, you can have the dolly!

Here's the website I'm uploading pics to: Greg's frame off project
Gregsmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
Grim Reaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Captkaos
Steve converted his to full top too? WOW! Is he just a "member" of the forum now? I haven't talked to him in a LONG while. Is there a link to his pics?
Heheh
http://www.coloradok5.com/uav.shtml

Check out the the thumbnails. Click the one in the center. Boy stood it up on the back bumper with three tires off the ground and has a picture AND vid to prove it. He was getting it BIG time!
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:44 PM   #9
Stingray42
Woot.

Quote:
Originally posted by Grim Reaper

Heheh
http://www.coloradok5.com/uav.shtml

Check out the the thumbnails. Click the one in the center. Boy stood it up on the back bumper with three tires off the ground and has a picture AND vid to prove it. He was getting it BIG time!

wow!
Old 02-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
75-K5
Bucket of Bolts

Quote:
Here's an idea.... Grab a tub from a '73 - '75 and put it on the frame, swapping out the '82 tub.
The problem with that is '77-up frames are different from pre-77 ones. You're going to run into some trouble with the body mounts and the way the frame and tub are shaped relative to each other, namely right in front of the rear seat. Pre-77 K5's have a flat floor in front of the seat, then the floor slopes right behind the console. Newer K5's do not have the floor raised until under the seat, so there is more foot room for back seat passengers. tRustyK5 from ColoradoK5 put a newer body on an older frame and said it was a pain in the neck and not really worth the trouble.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:13 PM   #11
DennyB62

I want to know to

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW TO CAN THIS BE DONE. FOR I HAVE FOUND ALL KINDS OF 76-UP BLAZERS BUT THINKING ABOUT DOING A FULL CONVERTIBLE TOP STYLE. WOULD A GUY HAVE TO CHANGE THE WINDSHIELD PILAR TO ACCOMADATE THE TOP?AND WOULD THE TOP INTERCHANGE
DennyB62 is offline   Reply With Quote