The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
Cliff

Power Steering WOES

Hey again. My power steering in the 72 has been going in and out... Well I drove it home from school and didn't really have any type of power assist at all. It was tough but i made it. I assumed the pump was going bad b/c it has been leaking. I put a new pump on today and started the truck. No change. I rolled under with the truck running and fluid was dripping pretty rapidly from the bottom of the steering box. I'm guessing the steering box is bad ? Can anyone confirm this for me ? What does one usually cost (in pa) and any tips on changing it. It looks really tough so anything would be helpful. Thanks again... Cliff 1972 c-10 2-wd
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 PM   #2
Piston
Account Suspended

Those seals can be a PITA. First chore is getting the pitman arm off (use a pitman arm puller). Remove the snap ring and both seals... easier said than done. I remove the snap ring then start the engine, turn the wheel HARD to one side while a buddy watches for the gush of fluid. I'll warn you though, if the P/S isnt working or that seal is leaking badly enough that trick will not work and you wind up digging the seal out with a slide hammer or seal puller. When that happens, I use a small body dent puller and a drywall screw to screw into the seal then hammer it out.
Be VERY careful putting the seals back in, the first one is the pressure seal and will leak if everything is not done right.

Might be easier to find a used one or buy a reman unit. Keep in mind you still have a no assist issue! (which wont be dramaticly affected by the leaking seal unless its low)

EDIT This info is for changing the seals.

Last edited by Piston; 12-15-2002 at 08:31 PM.
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 08:29 PM   #3
slam33

There easy to change, get a pitman arm puller, about $8. There not cheap to buy. Maybe someone here has one for sale. I have a used one but I'm not sure of the condition since I got a new one before I had a chance to try this one.

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/stevemau/slam33page.html?1004806705410

</A>
slam33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
Cliff

thanks

thanks a ton guys, i'm gonna dig into it in the morning... Cliff