The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Restore or modify?

We keep seeing the prices for our trucks, burbs, and blazers go up and up. NOS and very nice original parts are doing the same.

Are we to the point where it is smarter financially to restore, especially the more optioned versions, than update and modify?

Or do you believe our trucks will never reach prices of the popular GM cars that are now out of reach of so many. You see it all the time here on the board from us older members ... When I was a kid Camaro's were a dime a dozen, now I couldn't afford a nice one.

Just curious where people stand these days.
Old 08-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #2
jocko

Re: Restore or modify?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Are we to the point where it is smarter financially to restore, especially the more optioned versions, than update and modify?
I believe we were at that point about 10 years ago.
An unrestored loaded original with low mileage will always be top of the heap, followed closely by a correctly restored to original condition truck.
The modified stuff floating around on barrett jackson that brings big $ is, in my opinion, a distraction. Don't get me wrong, money is money and some of the modified stuff brings it - but generally speaking, barrett jackson bidders fall into two categories: those that know what is valuable (and they buy the original unrestored or correctly restored to original trucks), and those that just have money and bid with the general uninformed crowd frenzy or based on tire size - and find out when they get home that their 1 of 1 Cheyenne Super is really just a 1 of 200,000 Custom Deluxe with liptstick - but I do enjoy watching them spend their $

Anyway, I look at it this way - IF you are fortunate enough to have an original in good condition, you'll always be better off by either leaving it alone completely and selling it as unrestored - or by restoring it to original specs and selling it as restored to original. My 2 cents anyway

A unique category that falls somewhere in the middle is the modified stuff that "could easily be restored to original" with minimal work - these can appeal to both the informed and the uninformed crowds (the former thinking "well, I could fix these mistakes pretty easily...", the latter thinking "it will be perfect once I install the hula girl on the dash and add that 8" lift..." - but a deeper pool of potential buyers nonetheless. But I still believe unrestored and properly restored trucks will always be better "investments" and will hold their value compared to any other category.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:41 AM   #3
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
I believe we were at that point about 10 years ago.
An unrestored loaded original with low mileage will always be top of the heap, followed closely by a correctly restored to original condition truck.
The modified stuff floating around on barrett jackson that brings big $ is, in my opinion, a distraction. Don't get me wrong, money is money and some of the modified stuff brings it - but generally speaking, barrett jackson bidders fall into two categories: those that know what is valuable (and they buy the original unrestored or correctly restored to original trucks), and those that just have money and bid with the general uninformed crowd frenzy or based on tire size - and find out when they get home that their 1 of 1 Cheyenne Super is really just a 1 of 200,000 Custom Deluxe with liptstick - but I do enjoy watching them spend their $

Anyway, I look at it this way - IF you are fortunate enough to have an original in good condition, you'll always be better off by either leaving it alone completely and selling it as unrestored - or by restoring it to original specs and selling it as restored to original. My 2 cents anyway

A unique category that falls somewhere in the middle is the modified stuff that "could easily be restored to original" with minimal work - these can appeal to both the informed and the uninformed crowds (the former thinking "well, I could fix these mistakes pretty easily...", the latter thinking "it will be perfect once I install the hula girl on the dash and add that 8" lift..." - but a deeper pool of potential buyers nonetheless. But I still believe unrestored and properly restored trucks will always be better "investments" and will hold their value compared to any other category.
I agree with this ^^

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
cj847

IMHO:

Never buy a vehicle expecting to make money on it. Buy it because you love it. and fix it how you want.

To me trucks are not collector items. There are too many. Same with Mustangs and Camaros. Sure there are a few hundred Mustangs worth >$200,000. But the other 4 million are just another car.

In effect, unless you are a true collector, don't worry about collector level cars.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #5
Zonaman

Great topic. What you do depends on your goals. As for me, I like the old school stuff because of the nostalgia value (my Ol' Man had a C-10 or two) and I can still work on it. As far a value goes, long run, original is best. As the generation that grew up around and driving muscle car era autos passes, only the classic car enthusiast will be left- a much smaller market minus baby boomers. That said if yours is an everyday driver, like mine, you'll likely need to make some concessions for safety and ease of maintenance- e.g. 3 point seat belts, seats with head restraints, HEI, fuel injection, etc. Looking even farther down the road, particularly in a time when governments seem to want more control over things- a day may come when trucks like ours are no longer street legal as they will lack the level of technology required to drive on "smart highways" with "smart cars." Any truck modified (if practical or possible) will little resemble the vehicles we now cherish.

Last edited by Zonaman; 08-28-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Zonaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #6
jimijam00

Ever thought about why you hear "You can't build it for that" at Barrett-Jackson and Mecum when referring to majority of the vehicles crossing the block?
jimijam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
72c20customcamper

Really doesn’t matter which way you go. There is a market for completely original resto to resto mods . I’ve seen resto mod Chevelle’s and Camaros go way more the a stock one even true SS cars . I modify everything to an extent add things I want . My SS Chevelle has a complete UMI stage 4 suspension with coil overs 4 wheel disc and a Ford 9 inch . A Mark Jones 496 big block and a Auto gear 4spd . I have all the original parts but the car drive so much better now than stock
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #8
Grumpy old man

This question pops up just about every year in here and the only real answer is to build your truck however you want . What's right for your situation is all that matters . There is no one right answer . it just doesn't matter . I cringe when I see someone buy $1,000.00 tow hooks and I'm sure they cringe when I smoothed my firewall . You like stock and I may like modified . it takes all flavors . anyone with a checkbook can buy a low mile original truck and be driving it the next day around the block ...Can't run those miles up ! Or you can buy a project truck and " invest " the time and money and labor to make it yours. It's just like the Vette / Camaro/ Chevelle crowds .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ill be watching some car show on TV and they go check out a car (whatever style) museum. Yeah its kinda neat to see stuff all perfect, but in my head Im thinking wouldnt it be much cooler if this stuff got to go out and play instead of becoming some high priced thing you cant touch anymore even though there was a time any Joe (or Josephine) could hop in and enjoy cars like these. Yes yes, I know there are exceptions to the rule.

I hope our "Its still just a truck" trucks never get this bad.
Old 08-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #10
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
This question pops up just about every year in here and the only real answer is to build your truck however you want . What's right for your situation is all that matters . There is no one right answer . it just doesn't matter . I cringe when I see someone buy $1,000.00 tow hooks and I'm sure they cringe when I smoothed my firewall . You like stock and I may like modified . it takes all flavors . anyone with a checkbook can buy a low mile original truck and be driving it the next day around the block ...Can't run those miles up ! Or you can buy a project truck and " invest " the time and money and labor to make it yours. It's just like the Vette / Camaro/ Chevelle crowds .
I totally agree here. I built my truck the way I wanted and for ME. I’ll never sell it so I don’t really care what it’s worth on today’s market. Once I’m gone the truck goes to my youngest Son and what he does with it will be up to him with one exception, if he sells he has to split the $$ with his Brother. I’d love to see my Grandkids drive it one day.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
indymachinist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
IMHO:

Never buy a vehicle expecting to make money on it. Buy it because you love it. and fix it how you want.

To me trucks are not collector items. There are too many. Same with Mustangs and Camaros. Sure there are a few hundred Mustangs worth >$200,000. But the other 4 million are just another car.

In effect, unless you are a true collector, don't worry about collector level cars.
Right on. I 100% agree.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
We keep seeing the prices for our trucks, burbs, and blazers go up and up. NOS and very nice original parts are doing the same.
IMO, it has been speculation prices over the last 10 years, musical chairs, who will be left standing when the music stops?

Last edited by factorystock; 08-29-2021 at 02:40 PM.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:01 PM   #13
Davidf

I am usually a restore kind of person and have restored many vehicles. Recently, I have been doing slight mods in the interest of safety and comfort. Like on my 52 3100, I added front disk brakes, a/c, 12v, shoulder belts, higher gearing, taller tires, and sound system.

On my 71 C10, I recently did an LS swap…so much better to drive now.

So, I’m in the tasteful mod camp and have decided to make it my own. But most all mods can be undone, if desired.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #14
jocko

We do seem to get into this conversation over and over again, right up until someone says "its yours, you should do whatever you want with it." Yes, I think we all agree that one should do whatever one wants to do with their own truck.. but that wasn't CG's question. The question posed was restoration vs. modification - which is the smarter move financially. This thread didn't start life as the usual "gee, what color do YOU guys think I should paint MY truck?" thread - it posed a legitimate financial question because of all the craziness with truck prices over the last 5-10 years.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

From what I see 95 % of the guys want a cheap project not a trailer queen .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 08-30-2021 at 08:40 AM.
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:59 PM   #16
leddzepp

Restore or modify? From a financial standpoint, neither. Just maintain. Whatever you buy it as, leave it that way. Park it in the garage and leave it alone. Assuming it’s not a project pile of parts, take it out for a drive every Sunday (or whatever day of the week you prefer) so the drivetrain stays lubed up and running condition doesn’t suffer. Hang onto it for 6 months or so, then sell it. You will make money. How much money you make will depend on what you started with, but you won’t lose…at least not at this point in time. Buy another one, and repeat the process. Keep doing it this way until “the music stops” as factorystock stated above.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #17
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Restore or modify? From a financial standpoint, neither. Just maintain. Whatever you buy it as, leave it that way. Park it in the garage and leave it alone. Assuming it’s not a project pile of parts, take it out for a drive every Sunday (or whatever day of the week you prefer) so the drivetrain stays lubed up and running condition doesn’t suffer. Hang onto it for 6 months or so, then sell it. You will make money. How much money you make will depend on what you started with, but you won’t lose…at least not at this point in time. Buy another one, and repeat the process. Keep doing it this way until “the music stops” as factorystock stated above.
I agree with leddzepp, but I don't follow his advice.

I buy what I like, and I tend to spend money on them. I keep vehicles for long periods, and so far I have never lost money on one.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:06 AM   #18
j_cst_10

I struggled with this as well. I have a highly optioned 72 Cheyenne Super 20 custom camper that had the factory 402 and Th400.

I thought about restoring it since it is dinged and dented and wears an older repaint, but ultimately left it as is visually, and put a cummins diesel in it. Did I wreck it? maybe, but I probably would have sold the truck by now if I didn't do all that work and I really, really enjoy driving it.

Plus I bought it for nothing so to speak, so I made it my own and I enjoy it.

Had I paid $10K-20K I probably would have left it alone.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote