The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #1
cwcarpenter98

Question on where to start???

I think Frankentruck is finally telling me that it's time to start what I've been putting off for so long. I noticed today that the roof has begun to separate on the passenger side both on the inside and outside. I can push up some and move the roof line up from the outside. The cab also needs the usual rockers and floor work. I haven't looked at the true extent of the damage though because I've been keeping tape over the holes to keep the water out while driving through the occasional rain storm from the outside and keeping the rust from falling onto my lap and legs from the inside when going over bumps and such.

Unfortunately for me, the truck sits outside all the time, and I don't really have a garage that I could work on it in. Maybe I could roll it in and out of the garage every time I work on it, but that really isn't ideal.

Would it be ok to start from the top down? Or should I get the rockers and edge of the floors solid before cutting out a chunk of the roof structure?

I did already fix the driver's door. Turned out pretty decent for my first, major repair.

Also, I was thinking of going ahead and replacing the entire outer roof skin. Mine has a couple pin holes on the passenger side already and several dents in the roof (probably from various tree limbs over the years). I think that panel needs to come off anyways so I have better access to all the rusty spots in the roof.

I already have the outer and inner patch for the front roof. I also have both front corners from a donor truck. I have most, if not all, of the panels that I need for the rocker and floor areas.

Here's a pic of what's come out of the inside panel above the windshield from a couple years ago... Yikes
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:38 PM   #2
bsarts

Re: Question on where to start???

Because the roof repair is such a daunting task, I did the floors and doors first so that I would have some more experience and comfort in taking on the roof. It's a more visible repair area and I don't want to see any evidence of the work.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote