The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
onelow1967

Disc Brakes Applying On Their Own

I am having issues with the brakes on my truck and have a few questions to see if I can solve the issues. I have a 67 C10 with all new 1972 brake components.

- Tuff Stuff brake master cylinder and booster (OE replacement parts)
- Wilwood proportioning valve for the rear brakes only (installed in-line after the master, mounted under the hood)
- SSBC OE replacement rotors and callipers on the front.

I am running the front reservoir of the master to the front brakes without any valves in-line, basically line out of master, split to the two front wheels for full braking to the front brakes. I am using the adjustable proportioning valve from Wilwood on the rear OE drum brakes in-line mounted under the hood coming from the rear reservoir of the master. The issue I am having is that when the temperature of the truck/motor reaches running temperature the front brakes begin to engage without depressing the pedal and the pedal gets very stiff, they seem to get tighter when the temperature rises, to the point of slowing the truck down greatly. When the truck cools down the brakes seem to release the pressure and everything is back to normal. Now doing many hours of research reading about the mechanics of brakes I found this to be a common problem in some circles of Chevrolet owners. What I read was that sometimes with temperature the tolerances of the master cylinder are so tight that they don’t release all the pressure when you take your foot off the brakes. The solution suggested, which I have tried to solve this issue was to trim a ¼” from the rod between the brake booster and the master. In theory this will let the rod retract further therefore letting the masters return valving to work correctly. I also adjusted the brake pedal linkage so there is no tension or force on the plunger into the back of the booster. This worked for a short time, but the problem came back and I had smoking brakes this past weekend. I am at a loss so I hope I can get some advice on how to solve the issue. Thanks.

David Scade
Attached Images

onelow1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Disc Brakes Applying On Their Own

My '72 has both front discs and rear drums going to a prop valve. It's the stock setup with the prop valve mounted right under the master cylinder. Maybe a prop valve is needed for the front?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
onelow1967

bump
onelow1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #4
cdowns

some master cyl have residual valves built in for the brakes and if the two ports are hooked up reversed of what they were designed for you can have a problem
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Kerry P

I had a '72 Corvette with brakes that applied themselves occasionally. Turned out to be the vacuum booster. If you can safely drive with no vacuum to the booster that might help identify or eliminate the booster as part of the problem.
Kerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
biggestjohn

If you increase heat, you increase pressure.

I would look into the routing of your brake lines to see where it is getting hot.

Why have a proportioning valve if you are not adjusting the proportion of braking between the front and rear?

.......every time I screw up, I learn something. Needless to say, I'm learning all the time............
biggestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote