The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
friscobob

Rolling Shop Ladder

My shop is 11 feet to the trusses and I've been using an extension ladder for like 15 years to reach stored item in the over head. Got tired of lugging it around, sitting it up, then it's in the wrong place and doing it all over. Why not build a rolling ladder? Could do it two ways, one a regular staircase on wheels (casters), two build a wood frame to hold the extension ladder at the correct angle again with casters to make it mobile. Thinking the base will be 5 feet by 2 feet wide. Anyone done anything like this?
friscobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
friscobob

Re: Rolling Shop Ladder

I got her built, just needs paint. Works better than I ever thought.
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Advanced Design

Cool. I am guessing the wheels will lock? We use a 12 foot step and it is very difficult to move around.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 04:13 AM   #4
oldiron
Designated Grumpy Old Man

What a fantastic idea! I wish you had posted this back in July. A good friend of mine was hanging lights in his new shop and his ladder sllde out from under him causing him to fall 16 feet to his death. I promise you that I am going to build one this weekend. Do you have more pictures of your construction?
oldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
friscobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Cool. I am guessing the wheels will lock? We use a 12 foot step and it is very difficult to move around.
Yes, I put the casters at the light end, foot of ladder, they also lock. I use it once without locking the wheels, rather disconcerting to have the ladder you're standing on move away from what you are working on.
Bob
Old 01-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
friscobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldiron View Post
What a fantastic idea! I wish you had posted this back in July. A good friend of mine was hanging lights in his new shop and his ladder sllde out from under him causing him to fall 16 feet to his death. I promise you that I am going to build one this weekend. Do you have more pictures of your construction?
Back in July I took an unexpected trip to the ER after a ladder I was standing on shifted. It was turn loose and fall or fall on edge of concrete wall, I choose falling straight down, resulted in a couple of cracked ribs, could certainly been worse. That ladder went straight to scrap.
Sorry to hear you lost a friend Oldiron, life can be a bummer at times. I'll take some more pics for you, rigidity and stability were primary concerns building this project.
Bob
Old 01-05-2017, 05:57 PM   #7
mongocanfly
Post Whore

If your going to build something along those lines make sure you make your base with as big a footprint as possible. Def have a way to lock it down.be cautious of where your center of gravity is when your at the top..ideally when your at the top of the ladder you'd want to be in the center of the footprint of the base
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #8
oldiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscobob View Post
Back in July I took an unexpected trip to the ER after a ladder I was standing on shifted. It was turn loose and fall or fall on edge of concrete wall, I choose falling straight down, resulted in a couple of cracked ribs, could certainly been worse. That ladder went straight to scrap.
Sorry to hear you lost a friend Oldiron, life can be a bummer at times. I'll take some more pics for you, rigidity and stability were primary concerns building this project.
Bob
Thanks Bob, I will be looking forward for your pictures.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM   #9
friscobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
If your going to build something along those lines make sure you make your base with as big a footprint as possible. Def have a way to lock it down.be cautious of where your center of gravity is when your at the top..ideally when your at the top of the ladder you'd want to be in the center of the footprint of the base
Certainly good points about center of gravity. Take into consideration how much you weigh and how much weight you you expect to carry up and down.

In my case I'd never be at the top, but if I had built it at 6 feet I'd have the top like a foot back from the end.
We all have different building skills too, me, I can built from a detailed print or in this case just a rough sketch. I built the two triangles first, selected straight 2X4s and use one piece of 1/2 AC exterior ply for the gussets. There is no direct connections between the 2X4s, only the gussets screwed to them hold the whole thing together, as you can see in the pic the gussets are doubled up. Screws are deck screws #8 x 1 1/4. There is over a pound of them used.
The wheel base is 5 1/2 feet and track 30 inches, overall height just shy of 11 feet. I used 2X6 to mount the wheels on, the wheels need to be far enough apart to provide stability but not wide enough to create a tripping hazard.
The ladder just sits on the frame, note there is a cleat to prevent ladder form sliding off the bottom crosspiece. If you are going to use this in a circus act I'd suggest you securely attach the ladder to the frame. The pieces of ply on the bottom and vertical are important as they add considerable rigidity, plus they are places to store heavy objects which lower the center of gravity.
But good wheels, these cost $60 for the four, about half the cost of building less the cost of the ladder. If you don't have the ladder already and don't need one outside, you can use 2X4s steps between the upright triangles, if you go that route put brackets under the steps. Hope this helps.
Bob
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2017, 04:33 AM   #10
oldiron

Quote:
Certainly good points about center of gravity. Take into consideration how much you weigh and how much weight you you expect to carry up and down.

In my case I'd never be at the top, but if I had built it at 6 feet I'd have the top like a foot back from the end.
We all have different building skills too, me, I can built from a detailed print or in this case just a rough sketch. I built the two triangles first, selected straight 2X4s and use one piece of 1/2 AC exterior ply for the gussets. There is no direct connections between the 2X4s, only the gussets screwed to them hold the whole thing together, as you can see in the pic the gussets are doubled up. Screws are deck screws #8 x 1 1/4. There is over a pound of them used.
The wheel base is 5 1/2 feet and track 30 inches, overall height just shy of 11 feet. I used 2X6 to mount the wheels on, the wheels need to be far enough apart to provide stability but not wide enough to create a tripping hazard.
The ladder just sits on the frame, note there is a cleat to prevent ladder form sliding off the bottom crosspiece. If you are going to use this in a circus act I'd suggest you securely attach the ladder to the frame. The pieces of ply on the bottom and vertical are important as they add considerable rigidity, plus they are places to store heavy objects which lower the center of gravity.
But good wheels, these cost $60 for the four, about half the cost of building less the cost of the ladder. If you don't have the ladder already and don't need one outside, you can use 2X4s steps between the upright triangles, if you go that route put brackets under the steps. Hope this helps.
Bob
Bob, Thanks for the info. I'm getting the lumber together as soon as I can make it up the hill without chaining up the 1 ton.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #11
friscobob

I hear ya, I haven't gone anyplace for a week now. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
I'll be up to Monroe and Annacortes in April, maybe we can get together.
Bob
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 PM   #12
oldiron

Quote:
I hear ya, I haven't gone anyplace for a week now. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
I'll be up to Monroe and Annacortes in April, maybe we can get together.
Bob
Bob I am retired and you are welcome to stop by any time. I will pm you with a phone #.
Dennis
Old 01-10-2017, 02:03 PM   #13
cg285

i've found a scissor lift works better for me. only have one step to climb
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote