The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Dazzoman

Re: Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

Good one Brad .
I think both of mine are Chevy application but you say Mopar had this too ? Maybe the shaft splines are different on the Mopar .
Do you have an chevy aluminum bell housing ? You could use that but it will not be as toughe as the iron , same with the iron trans like you said .
I had to make an kit (pics on my early post) to fit the L side where as the R side fit my 1966 GMC Bell housing of which my truck is .
Glad you kept the original hence the older starter bolt pattern .
Even tho mine is an iron trans Im gonna make an lighter rear crossmember for the rear trans mount or I'll find an 1965 Chvy truck automatic crossmember he he ya right .
They put it there so it must be there for a reason .
Dazzoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Brad54

Re: Finally caught a break NP440 / MY 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzoman View Post
Good one Brad .
I think both of mine are Chevy application but you say Mopar had this too ? Maybe the shaft splines are different on the Mopar .
Do you have an chevy aluminum bell housing ? You could use that but it will not be as toughe as the iron , same with the iron trans like you said .
I had to make an kit (pics on my early post) to fit the L side where as the R side fit my 1966 GMC Bell housing of which my truck is .
Glad you kept the original hence the older starter bolt pattern .
Even tho mine is an iron trans Im gonna make an lighter rear crossmember for the rear trans mount or I'll find an 1965 Chvy truck automatic crossmember he he ya right .
They put it there so it must be there for a reason .
The New Process A-833 4-speed was a Mopar trans since the early '60s. In the '70s, they reworked them to make 3rd gear 1:1, and 4th is an overdrive, running through the cluster position that used to be 3rd gear in a regular 4-speed application.
A Mopar input shaft is much longer and a different spline count, the output shaft is longer (on most--the Dusters had a short shaft) and different spline count.
From what I have been able to find, there are two different transmission main case mounting patterns: the ones in your photo, which require a special (factory) re-tooled bell housing, and another with a regular GM 4-speed mounting pattern. The ones you have use a Mopar mounting pattern.
There are also at least three bellhousings: any standard GM bellhousing, an aluminum one that's been retooled for the Mopar mount and uses mechanical clutch linkage, and an aluminum that's been retooled for the Mopar mount that uses a hydraulic clutch slave on the fork. (NOT a hydraulic throw-out bearing, as was used on later trucks). I have both of the aluminum ones, and need to see which I'll ultimately use on my '61 Suburban when I put the 348 in it.
Option eleventy is I buy a Lakewood with multi-pattern trans mount, and the side mounting holes for a '57 Chevy which will also work with the '60-'62 frame. I know that can be done because I already have one of those bellhousings for my slick-shift Hemi 4-speed racing trans, as that trans has a custom input shaft for Chevy... But I'd rather not use that one as it's slated for my gasser.

-Brad

There's no cool like Old School
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote