The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2021, 08:39 PM   #1
68PanelTruck

Does this camshaft look bad?

Hi guys,
I'm in the middle of restoring my 68 Panel with a 396 and need an opinion on the camshaft. I pulled the intake to paint it and replace some leaky intake gaskets. Looking at the camshaft from above it definitely has some shiney wear marks on the lobes but I'm not sure if it is ok to run as is or do you think it should be replaced?

I bought the truck almost a year ago and drove it a total of about 10 miles before starting work on it. It started and ran ok but the clutch was shot and the oil pan was leaking like mad so I really didn't get to drive it. The speedo says 78,000 but it probably went around once. I will be changing out the oil pan and oil pump.

My original goal was to fix the oil leaks and fix the rest of the truck (rust repair) and then, maybe down the road, put a mild cam in it. If the cam looks OK as is I'll probably leave it in and change it out at a later date. If you guys think it's a no-go then any recommendations on a mild street low RPM torque , say from 1500-3500 RPM? It will have cast iron exhaust manifolds and a Performer intake. Have a look at the pics:
Attached Images

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote