The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2013, 04:07 AM   #26
Slow Build

Re: Teenagers Dream

Check out this thread on Dino's Pre-runner.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=dino+lifted
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:17 AM   #27
YoungDreamer

Yall just know how to tease a guy dont ya? Those are very nice trucks! Now i see lifting them is a total possibility
YoungDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #28
YoungDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Check out this thread on Dino's Pre-runner.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=dino+lifted
Gorgeous Truck, im really diggin that lift kit! I would want mine permanently lifted and still have access to the bed. But i like what he did there! I knew this site would be helpful
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #29
spacedebris

When it comes to the diesel, it can be challenging. Depends on what diesel you plan on using.

Personally, I'm putting a 5.9 Cummins into my 60 Panel. I took it out of a '95 Dodge 2500. Do your research when choosing a diesel. The reason I choose the 95 it that it is the last model before they switched to computer controlled systems. Means I do not need to source a computer brain for the engine. I considered the Duramax because of all the power it can build but having to source a computer and then have it customized for my application, just did not appeal to me. Not to mention having to add the smog equipment (you likely dont have to worry about this in texas but I'm unfortunately in CA)

I chose the '95 also because it has the most HP of the "P-pump" Cummins. Not a lot by todays standards (160HP in stock form) but it has a lot of aftermarket options for buiding more easily. But I'm more interested in towing than racing so its perfect for me.

Now this is just my opinion so take it for what it is. The larger Diesels like the 5.9 Cummins and the Duramax are too heavy and big for the C-10's and C-20's (again my opinion). I wouldnt use them in less than a C-30 (1 ton). Plus in my case a lot of fabrication, firewall cutting, and some loss of interior space is a result.

I'm still working on fitting it properly but here is a pic of it under the hood (mock up for now)

Here is what I mean but loss of interior, you can see how far into the cab it protrudes.

Hard to see in the pic but the top of the engine is below the level of the dash so I dont loose too much behind the dash. I still can mount my radio and run the AC vents and such. The back of the engine comes to about 4" of the dash front. Once I get the firewall, insulation, and sound deadening I should have JUST enough room to fit my hand between it and the dash, not enough for my arm but you get the idea.

Now some others have put in diesels. Just search and you'll find them. And it looks like some of them fit a little....I started to say easier but I'm sure it wasnt... Maybe just a better fit.

What ever you decide, I say go for it. And dont be afraid to think out of the box, its always nice to have a unique truck. Have fun with it.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #30
naynay

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungDreamer View Post
Here in Texas we have an 85mph highway or two, being that's the road i have to take to visit my brother down south i would just like to have that option. If it can only cruise at 80 or 75 i will just have to find a way to get to my brother on a slower road
FWIW i travel dallas to austin every other weekend in my 89 bronco with a top speed of about 70.. its not a big deal, 85 is a max. not a min.
naynay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #31
YoungDreamer

That is a very large engine haha, i never even thought about having to do that much to make one fit! I will have to do and more research about engines and how big they are if they will actually fit in the truck.

Good to know about the speed limit. I guess if i needed to i can just stay in the right lane and let the speedy people pass
Old 03-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
FWIW i travel dallas to austin every other weekend in my 89 bronco with a top speed of about 70.. its not a big deal, 85 is a max. not a min.
+1 here. At that speed in an old truck you don't drive it, you aim it.

Remember you're pushing old horrible handling metal made to haul a herd of goats down a country backroad, not a brand new over-computerized Silverado made to go to home depot.

As for large engines, you could always lengthen the truck like Coyoterun did here

He's a great guy too. You could probably ask him if you had trouble.
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.

Last edited by FetchMeAPepsi; 03-28-2013 at 08:22 PM.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #33
benwah

Run dont walk away if anyone offers you a 5.7 or 6.2 chevy! If its free take it to the nearest recycle yard. Take the money and buy a real diesel. I had a 5.7 along time ago............ I still have nightmares!
benwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
YoungDreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwah View Post
Run dont walk away if anyone offers you a 5.7 or 6.2 chevy! If its free take it to the nearest recycle yard. Take the money and buy a real diesel. I had a 5.7 along time ago............ I still have nightmares!
I will definitely keep that in mind! For now there is not a dang thing that is free when it comes to this project haha but then again in reality its not that expensive either. i Just gotta get some more cash in hand
Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #35
YoungDreamer

In yalls opinion, Should i go Diesel or Stay with gas?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #36
63chevy4x4

I would stay with a gasser unless your going to do some serious pulling. im going to school for diesel tech, i love diesels but for the avrage joe a gas is easyer to work on and cheaper especially an sbc. I bought a rusted out 63 4x4 when i was 15 since then ive rebuilt the 283, put in a th350, power brakes, power steering and a diffrent cab and box. In hind sight I couldve put a 60-66 cab and box on a newer frame and saved money and not have had all of the headachs of tring to find parts for an old 4x4 and fabing so many parts. But i wanted to be diffrent and i have to much $$ into it to turn around now haha.
63chevy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #37
YoungDreamer

I could buy the parts, call UTI, take it to them and tell them to document the build i will pick it up in two weeks.

Oh Oh, sorry you diesel school and my brain shot off into another discussion. if thats the case what kind of chassis would work best? could i just purchase a longer compatible chassis and extend the body work to fit a cummins? This bad boy is going to take me through Agriculture school so who knows if somebody is going to ask me to pull a trailer. Also who knows if the fraternity i want to join will need me to haul a trailer full of drunk sorority girls down to Galveston. The possibilities are endless for how i could use that much power
Old 03-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #38
63chevy4x4

I know a guy who put a cummins 4cyl out of a little case trackhoe in a 72 3/4ton gmc, it fit in great lenthwise and he drives it everyday. He said its got power to boot and after he re geared it it will do 75 no problems. There was a thread i read someplace where a guy was going to put a 3208 in a chevy pickup but thats alota engine in a pickup and 3208s arnt an all star haha but heyd prolly be ok in a pickup
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #39
YoungDreamer

Whats the difference in size between a Cummins 4cyl and 6cyl and a Chevy small block? is that a question for a different website haha
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 PM   #40
63chevy4x4

all depends on what model 4 or 6 your looking at best way would be to go measure some stuff in my opinion. if you had some models you wanted demensions on i have acess to Cummins Quick Serve (online shop manuals) so i could look them up for you
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #41
YoungDreamer

I shall look and see what engines i can get my hands on and then get back to you
Old 03-29-2013, 10:28 PM   #42
ky-donzi

I put a cummins 4bt in mine, it is the little brother to the cummins used in dodge trucks. Check out my build on this site.... Dieseldude has done one also... He actually helped me out a lot on mine
Posted via Mobile Device
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #43
YoungDreamer

How well does it run? Can you cruise at 70 or higher?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #44
ky-donzi

Yep, even tho it's a 4 cyl 120 hp don't let that fool you. It makes about the same torque at 1700 rpm as a new chevy 1500 v8 gas truck at 4100 rpm. How often do you cruise at 4100? Good torque numbers at 1700 rpm are way more important
Posted via Mobile Device
ky-donzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 PM   #45
YoungDreamer

Anybody have a friend in North Texas with a running, tagged 63 C10 they would pay me to take off their hands hahaha
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #46
YoungDreamer

Good News, Found a decent C-20 that my dad and i will go take a look at. Not sure how much work its going to need to get it tagged so i can drive it to work all summer but thats a challenge for another day
Old 04-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #47
63burban
Chevy addict

Just remember that a stock C20 will probably have 4:56 gears in the rear, so cruising speed is 50mph-55 safely.
You are venturing into two different worlds with off roading and cruising speeds of over 70mph. High speeds require a lot of chassis work to be safe, and height does not enter the high speed equation at all. Make up your mind, cruiser or off road, either way $$$. A good running 350 and 700r4 will get you a great driver.
I have both, 4x4 and cruisers, 4x4 handles the trailers with a 3:73 and 350/4spd, don't run it over 60mph. Cruiser is for trips and running around, 283/700r4 and 3:73, 65-70 comfortably but would like to install a 3:42.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #48
YoungDreamer

main focus is being able to cruise at 70+mph im going to keep the truck two wheel drive i just want to lift it some cause im a teenage boy from Texas and that's how we do. Found a company that rebuilds motors including Diesels waiting for response on if they would do a partial trade from the engine already in the truck for a diesel. Then i need to find a transmission. Any recomened gear ratio for the rear end? better to buy a new rear end or try and change the current gear ratio?

Im new to all of this, most experience i have is changing oil, headlights, radiators, wheels and seat covers. I have been apart of a tractor restoration but that was pretty simple compared to these trucks
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #49
63chevy4x4

I agree with 63burban off road and high speed are two diffrent paths. but either way its gonna cost $$ from the diesel to getting a tranny and an adapter plate and flywheel not to mention all the other mechanical work needed . These projects get very involved trust me haha, ive found out the hard way, its like an addiction i always tell myself if spend some more money itll all be ok and itll be done but it never is haha thank god we have two shops on the farm otherwise my dad and the hired men woulda pulled my pickup out into the trees along time ago hahaha. but its all worth it in the end hope you get you pickup!
1976 Chevy 4x4
Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #50
YoungDreamer

Here is what im looking at on upgrades right now
- Disk Brakes
- Power Steering
- Paint
- 6 inch Lift Kit
- New Rear End with a gear ratio in the mid to low 3's Somewhere between 3.73 and 3.08
- Cummins Diesel, I4 if i cant mount an I6 without doing tons of body work
- Automatic Trans to match Engine
- Random electronics (Radio, Probably upgrade the head and tail lights, Roof Lights. Etc.)
- Tires and Wheels

Im sure there is even more, cold air intakes, custom stacks, convert to all steelbed if i can find an affordable one. The list of what i would like to do goes on and on. Every pay check i make this summer, half goes to college other half goes to the truck.