The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
barmanvarn

Running off a temporary gas tank

We're in the process of trying to get an old engine running. As it's set of 12+ years, I've removed the rubber hose between the tank and the hard line, and have added a temporary hose that's around 5 feet long.

The plan is to run this hose to a temporary fuel tank while working on the engine.

Here's where I'm lacking knowledge. I know the hard line runs to a mechanical fuel pump that feeds fuel to the carb. I'm guess that since it's pushing fuel to the carb, it "should" be pulling fuel from the tank but am not sure.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is the pump gravity fed? Meaning I need to rig up the temp tank to be higher than the pump. Or will the pump suck the gas out of the temp tank meaning I can just sit it on the ground?

We were going to test by pulling the fuel line running into the carb to see if gas was coming out, but couldn't get the line off and have to mess with that later (as I need to replace the fuel filter anyways).

thanks
barmanvarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #2
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Running off a temporary gas tank

Not sure how much suction * would be left in an old mechanical fuel pump. They were built pretty much bomb-proof, though. Just to be safe, elevate the temp tank to the same level as the bottom on the In-Cab tank.
[The stock behind-the-seat tank does add a little gravity to the feed, especially when full.]
The stock mech fuel pump will pull gas from the frame-level, aft-of-axle tank in the Blazer, no problem. When I had a 454 in a K/10 Suburban I went to an electric Holley Red fuel pump, but that was a long pull to a hungry engine.

* Academic at this point, but you could put a pressure gauge on the fuel line to find out.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 11-30-2014 at 02:21 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
barmanvarn

Thanks. A follow-up based on your response....

Do I need to rig up a tank where the hose can be run out the bottom so that gas is flowing down the line to the pump?

As it stands, I'm justing a regular 2-gallon gas tank and have the hose run down into the tank. With this method, even if I elevated the tank, the pump would still have to pull the fuel up and out of the tank.

If all else fails, I can check for fuel when I remove the line to replace the fuel filter and adjust my method accordingly.

thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #4
'68OrangeSunshine

In that case, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a pickup truck, not a NASA mission.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
In that case, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a pickup truck, not a NASA mission.
Ha! Not trying to overthink things, just planning for all possibilities. As the truck is an hour away and once there I'm not real close to a parts store, I prefer to plan ahead and take whatever I need with me (even if it's extra things I may not need right then.)

I've seen a lot of pics where people have replace the hard line running from the pump to the carb with a flex line and inline filter. Kinda like that idea. Need to research how to go about that.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
michael bustamante

Itll suck it it right out of the gas can with the can sitting on the floor. I do this all the time. If you have any doubts you can put a clear filter between the pump and carb to see the fuel flowing
Old 11-30-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bustamante View Post
Itll suck it it right out of the gas can with the can sitting on the floor. I do this all the time. If you have any doubts you can put a clear filter between the pump and carb to see the fuel flowing
Thanks! I was hoping this was the case.

I certainly want to add a flexible line with inline filter to replace the hard line between the pump and carb. Now I just have to figure out how to go about it.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
tcrist

It is best to keep the hard lines and only use the rubber/flex-able hose only where needed.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #9
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
It is best to keep the hard lines and only use the rubber/flex-able hose only where needed.
Is there a particular reason for this?

To be clear, I was only talking about between the pump and carb. I saw a lot of pictures where it had been replaced with braided line so figured that was a "normal" modification.

thanks
Old 11-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
low&slow
Account Suspended

I have an old school 5 gallon tank in my bed. I ran the original fuel line to it. It works but I got to keep it at an angle to keep the fuel on the line side. It's a temporary tank, but I've used it for almost 5 years to take trips around the block.

As for a gas can, that will work also just sitting on the ground. A nice way to keep my battery from dieing while trying to get fuel up to the carb is to use an electric fuel pump to prime the mechanical pump
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:57 PM   #11
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmanvarn View Post
Is there a particular reason for this?

To be clear, I was only talking about between the pump and carb. I saw a lot of pictures where it had been replaced with braided line so figured that was a "normal" modification.

thanks
People don't normally run a rubber line from pump to carb because the gas will eat the rubber. And when not running the engine, the hose will dry out and crack causing fuel leaks. If it's just temporary, you can run a rubber line from pump to carb, but if you plan on it being permanent, don't do it. It's more of a safety precaution not to run rubber from pump to carb.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks! I was hoping this was the case.

I certainly want to add a flexible line with inline filter to replace the hard line between the pump and carb. Now I just have to figure out how to go about it.
On my shinny chrome motor, I run a braided line with a clear glass fuel filter. I don't have any problems with the braided line.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
People don't normally run a rubber line from pump to carb because the gas will eat the rubber. And when not running the engine, the hose will dry out and crack causing fuel leaks. If it's just temporary, you can run a rubber line from pump to carb, but if you plan on it being permanent, don't do it. It's more of a safety precaution not to run rubber from pump to carb.
I'm talking about braided steel fuel line. Not plain rubber line.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:02 PM   #14
barmanvarn

Quote:
On my shinny chrome motor, I run a braided line with a clear glass fuel filter. I don't have any problems with the braided line.
Ok. Good.

That's what I was talking about, sorry if I didn't explain well.

Is this something you buy off the shelf? I'm assuming you have to get various pieces and build it yourself?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Ok. Good.

That's what I was talking about, sorry if I didn't explain well.

Is this something you buy off the shelf? I'm assuming you have to get various pieces and build it yourself?
I went to autozone and bought 2 of there longest braided line they had on the shelf. Used one piece from the pump to the filter, then cut the second one down a little and used it from the filter to the carb
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
barmanvarn

Quote:
I went to autozone and bought 2 of there longest braided line they had on the shelf. Used one piece from the pump to the filter, then cut the second one down a little and used it from the filter to the carb
Thanks!

Is this something I need to be doing at this stage in the restore? Nope! LOL

Just looked like something fun to do that I can do here at home (since the truck is an hour away) and can then install it when I get a chance to go work on it.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
barmanvarn

Quote:
A follow-up, as I know squat about this stuff....

Any special fittings I need to use to work w/ my engine? Or are these things a one-size-fits all kind of thing?

thanks again
Old 11-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #18
tcrist

You can get the braided line that is Teflon lined or rubber lined. The issue is with the ethanol in the fuel, it will eat up the "rubber" lines in time. Probably the Teflon also, but it should/would take longer.

When you were first mentioning the rubber lines I thought that you were talking about the complete fuel line all of the way from the tank.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:34 PM   #19
barmanvarn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
You can get the braided line that is Teflon lined or rubber lined. The issue is with the ethanol in the fuel, it will eat up the "rubber" lines in time. Probably the Teflon also, but it should/would take longer.

When you were first mentioning the rubber lines I thought that you were talking about the complete fuel line all of the way from the tank.
No worries. I'll keep the ethanol issue in mind.

Just looking to replace what I can, when I can. I need to get a long of built-up gunk off the engine, which mean removing a lot of pieces that are in the way. Figure while I'm pulling things off, I'll replace/upgrade them as I go while I'm at it.

Everything is theoretical at this point....just going where the wind takes me right now.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:30 PM   #20
low&slow
Account Suspended

I've had my braided line for almost 12 years on 3 different motors in the same truck. I have yet to have any problems with the fuel eating the rubber. Although tcrist is correct as I've stated also, the fuel will eat the rubber, dry it out, and cause cracks. But like I said, I've had mine for almost 12 years.

As for pieces needed, all you need is the braided line. There are different sizes, but you can tell them that it's for a fuel line and the parts people will get you the right size.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:37 PM   #21
barmanvarn

Quote:
I've had my braided line for almost 12 years on 3 different motors in the same truck. I have yet to have any problems with the fuel eating the rubber. Although tcrist is correct as I've stated also, the fuel will eat the rubber, dry it out, and cause cracks. But like I said, I've had mine for almost 12 years.

As for pieces needed, all you need is the braided line. There are different sizes, but you can tell them that it's for a fuel line and the parts people will get you the right size.
Thanks. I was looking at the glass filters, but my research shows that a lot of people say that's a bad idea. Any opinions on that or going with a different type of filter housing?
Old 12-01-2014, 04:46 PM   #22
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks. I was looking at the glass filters, but my research shows that a lot of people say that's a bad idea. Any opinions on that or going with a different type of filter housing?
My glass fuel filter never gave me problems for 12 yrs until a couple weekends ago the rubber sealing cracked and dumped fuel all over the motor. IMO, the glass filters are more for show. On a vehicle that's driven and worked on, the glass can get hot and do weird things such as create leaks. On my other vehicles that aren't modified, I use the clear plastic filters.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #23
Daner

The pump has to pull the gas up out of the top of the tank but I don't know how much actual pull it has since once gas gets past the high point it becomes a siphon effect. You should be fine pulling fuel from anywhere you could set the tank on the truck.

Don't get rid of your hard line. If you want a inline filter cut out a section and add the filter with the 2 supplied pieces of rubber hose. I use the metal filters.

I wouldn't be worried about ethanol drying out your rubber lines. It's been required that most rubber fuel line be resistant to it since they first put it in the fuel system. Sometime in the 80s I think. It will attract water and that can rust steel parts though. Make sure you get high quality fuel hose that says it is resistant.

http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...patibility.pdf
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #24
doctorofmotors

I used to run ethanol fuel (E85) back when it was cheap ($1.67 a gallon) and yes it ages rubber hoses quickly, after 3 years they looked 20 years old! steel hard line should outlast your truck- unless you have rust issues, rubber will have to be replaced as you would with radiator hoses. The main drawback to steel is it soaks up heat which leads to vapor lock. One "best of both worlds fix" I've seen done is to cover the hard line with rubber hose (slit lenght wise) to insulate
doctorofmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #25
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorofmotors View Post
I used to run ethanol fuel (E85) back when it was cheap ($1.67 a gallon) and yes it ages rubber hoses quickly, after 3 years they looked 20 years old! steel hard line should outlast your truck- unless you have rust issues, rubber will have to be replaced as you would with radiator hoses. The main drawback to steel is it soaks up heat which leads to vapor lock. One "best of both worlds fix" I've seen done is to cover the hard line with rubber hose (slit lenght wise) to insulate
I've heard of that idea as well, but never tried it. Vapor lock can defiantly be caused depending on where you route your line. If your steel line is ran near something that gets hot, you can put the rubber hose in just area to act as a heat shield