The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #51
oldblue72

I'm starting to answer my own questions

I once asked how much a tranny would cost. I now know its about $750. the reason its a 333 engine is because the guy who put it together added some stuff that required him to get slightly bigger pistons. I think thats what he said. Anyhow, it is tricked out a little which gave it the figure 333 instead of a 327. My tranny seems great now but as soon as I got it on the road I busted a tire! Man, its hard to love an old truck and be broke. I think I need new gaskets and some seals for the engine, new engine mounts, and maybe a new neck for the gas tank. Maybe someone knows about this. I have noticed that when I have a really full tank 'o gas it seems as though some of it leaks out of were you put the gas in. Just a little but I notice it. So is it a crack in the neck or the rubber tube that connects the nozzle? Well I'm working on fixing everything. Prom is coming up and I plan to wash,wax, and even degrease his belly Best case scnario is it looks better than me.
One last thing, My neighbor friend who gave me the tranny said that I shouldn't need a new engine since its only have 69k on it? What do you think? If I did need a new one what would cause that?
oldblue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 PM   #52
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue72
I once asked how much a tranny would cost. I now know its about $750. the reason its a 333 engine is because the guy who put it together added some stuff that required him to get slightly bigger pistons. I think thats what he said. Anyhow, it is tricked out a little which gave it the figure 333 instead of a 327.
its been rebuild and they bored out the cylinders. its probably out .030" (thats what my 400 is and it picked up 6 CID)
Quote:
My tranny seems great now but as soon as I got it on the road I busted a tire!
???busted a tire???
Quote:
Maybe someone knows about this. I have noticed that when I have a really full tank 'o gas it seems as though some of it leaks out of were you put the gas in. Just a little but I notice it. So is it a crack in the neck or the rubber tube that connects the nozzle?
does it leak inside or outside? but always start small and work your way up. replace the rubber and see if that fixes it. i get gas that leaks out the spout down the side of my truck when i corner cause the gas cap
Quote:
One last thing, My neighbor friend who gave me the tranny said that I shouldn't need a new engine since its only have 69k on it? What do you think? If I did need a new one what would cause that?
it all depends on how it was taken care of. if the oil changes wernt frequent and it was constantly over reved then yeah it could need a new motor. but why would you think you need one? does it just leak oil?

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 AM   #53
oldblue72

My grandpa said it needed a new one long ago. Since then my uncle may have tinkered with it. It leaks a little oil yes. The tire story went something like this, I has driven it about 5 miles since the new tranny. So i was going slow and paying attention to see how it was driving. I starting hearing a tick or thump sound. I was scared it was something like the engine. So I pulled over and walked around to make sure all the tires were fine and they were all holding air. I looked under the hood and everything appeared normal. So I drove the other block home about 5mph. When I got there I looked at the tires again and saw that the tread was badly ripped down to the wires on the front driver's side. The next morning it looked as though I had had a blow out. So I had to spend more money on a tire. okay now the gas, Yeah it leaks from the outside where you put gas in. It sounds like yours. But my mechanic said it smelt like gas whn he was working on it. But I'm mad at him anyway. What does he know he's a nice guy and he knows for the most part what he's doing but I have a hard time some backyard mechanic $70 an hour! I have to work almost ten hours to pay him for one hour! Oh well whattaya gunna do?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 AM   #54
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
... I plan to wash,wax, and even degrease his belly
Can I be next? Ha! Sometimes I crack me up!

I'm glad to hear you have your truck running on the road again. The tire deal sounds like the truck sat for a long time and the tires dry rotted causing the tred to seperate from the steel belts. I'd keep an eye on the other 3 tires!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #55
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w/sbc406
yes be careful about that other tank. i was reading in a thread not too long ago (brainchilds i believe) he switched to a tank that he never uses cause he was running out of gas, drove like 2 miles to the gas station filled up, switched back to the right tank and the truck ran like ****. the carb was full of rust.
That was me.

Welcome to the board Ms. Sarah. Great looking truck. I have the same paint scheme and moldings. About that gas leak, maybe a new cap and a little luck will fix it. Mine is toast. Some jerk tried tp pry off the locking cap.

Last edited by chickenwing; 05-11-2005 at 10:42 AM.
chickenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #56
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
That was me.
brainchild, chickenwing.....hey they are both two words (well they are supposed to be )

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote