The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-19-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Who all tracks their spending and plans on their projects?

Do you dare post the xls?

Here's mine.. 6 mos of ownership, and I have nearly doubled what I paid for the truck in parts and fixing things up here and there. My planned upgrades nearly triple it.

I know many of you spend a WHOLE lot more.. im wondering if there is budget behind some of these builds..

Im far more happy to buy a 3k vehicle and watch the "value" increase then a 35k new vehicle worth 25k with 1 mile on it.

A day one pic:

Here is how she sits today:

Last edited by chrislehr; 07-19-2008 at 09:10 AM.
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: Who all tracks their spending and plans on their projects?

It's pretty easy to double the price of these trucks! I had mine for 2 months before I pulled the front end off!
I'm real close to getting it running again, but have to spend the weekend replacing a clutch on my commuter car......

As far as budget....I don't have one. I pull something off, I ether clean it or replace it.
But what your doing is probable the best way. Some jump in without a clue to what it's going to cost. They get overwhelmed, run out of money and loose interest.
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 07-19-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Boog
laying low

oooooh no, no I dont' keep up with it. I am not in this for the investment. I also do not plan to sell it so I look at it as just money spent enjoying a hobby. I think many of us really do not want to know just how much we have spent. It's not like a contest to see who can spend the most or anything...or is it? I guess you could keep up with it then compare with others to see how much you got done for the least amount of $, if you wanted.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
oooooh no, no I dont' keep up with it. I am not in this for the investment. I also do not plan to sell it so I look at it as just money spent enjoying a hobby. I think many of us really do not want to know just how much we have spent. It's not like a contest to see who can spend the most or anything...or is it? I guess you could keep up with it then compare with others to see how much you got done for the least amount of $, if you wanted.
I agree, it's just a hobby and nobody budgets their hobbies do they?
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:28 AM   #5
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

I have an Excel spread sheet as well, but it mysteriously hasn't been updated in a LONG time.

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #6
chrislehr
Engine n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
lol - im far from considering this an investment, but I am anal about spending and like to track what I put into projects, so this time around I started tracking it. I had one for my old car (a Subaru WRX) and I dumped 10k into that in the 5 years I owned it (yikes, talk about bad investments)
chrislehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:35 AM   #7
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I track all my vehicles in an access database. I guess that comes from the Project Manager side of me

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

If I did ............. and my wife were to find it .............
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

I am just as bad i have a spreadsheet with the total cash in hand to spend and every purchase itemised to not run over. I add back in parts sold in another catagory and even have a seperate catagoty fot tax on the final body work. The sheet is just as fun as the truck trying to get out of a set budget what you want can be a great puzzle
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Shyguy

I like your approach to keeping records of your progress and expenditures on your project. I too am keeping track of things, but I think I like the way you are doing it better.

It looks like you have been working hard and made a lot of improvements.

My project started out more modest, my two parts trucks and short frame cost me $450 and after we have put everything together to make one truck I have about double into it. The project was originally supposed to be my grandson's but he had other priorities and I bought it from him so he could do other stuff he wanted.

I guess I have had my project for about six months. I started with a non running engine and now it moves under its own power with a l6 and 4 speed.

Here is a before and after picture. It started out as a '67 C-20 lwb stepper and now is a '67 C-10 swb stepper.

Keep up the good work.

Danny
Attached Images

Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #11
Green Machine

I've started to keep track a few times, we've done two trucks and working on a third, would be nice to know for sure what we've spent but it would scare me I'm sure. Kind of hard to keep track of the little items, like $5 for some bolts, and taking the time to write down everything. I figure it's going to cost whatever it costs to get it done to the level we want to get to, so it does not matter what it costs, except what the wallet can handle. It would likley be kind of depressing to know what it really costs, because things add up so fast.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 C3 6.0
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #12
shortbed70

Yea it adds up in a hurry. I've had mine for 5 years and just started purchasing parts two years ago while I enjoyed it for a while now its getting down to the time to tear down and start the restomod process. I have all the reciepts for the last 3 years of stuff I've bought and even the small reciepts from parts stores along with my bigger purchases totalling the high side of 2G's just for parts setting on the shop floor and I haven't started on the body yet,suspension,interior parts of the motor....Like boog said I dont keep track for the resale purchase I just like to know what I have in it and so the insurance company also knows what I have in it. I've heard horror stories about these trucks getting totaled and not getting 1/100th of what they've put into them.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274

Last edited by shortbed70; 07-19-2008 at 10:25 AM.
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:23 AM   #13
BACKYARD88
On the fast track to nowhere..

I save all of my receipts but I refuse to add them up until I get finished. Hopefully I'll still be young to keep from having a heart attack when I do

Norwood, Houston, Cecilia, Jackson, Monroe and counting
BACKYARD88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #14
msgross

I started adding mine up like that for the first year... now I stopped, but should catch up.

I haven't saved receipts either, all the small things (bolts, spraypaint, etc..) get skipped.

Then the wife was looking at the numbers and that wasn't good, looks like I need to protect the spreadsheet with a password!
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #15
blukangoo
Neighborhood Pickle Slinger

I don´t even want to know. I still have all the receipts in the shop but am too lazy to add them all up.
If I did, I would probably kick my own butt before my wife gets to it.
She doesn´t have any idea what I have put into it either.
She does know what it cost me and what it cost to get it over here.

My C10 Diary

Our cars:
1966 Chevrolet Chevelle 396 - TH350
1968 Chevrolet C10/CST 327 TH400/375
1969 Corvette Stingray 350 - Muncie Manual Trans
1969 Chevrolet ElCamino 350 - TH400
1970 Cutlass Supreme Convertible - 350 Rocket - TH350
1973 Camaro LT - New Engine Done - TH350

1973 Corvette Convertible 454 - TH400
blukangoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #16
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

Truck, all improvements such as a swapped & rebuilt "new" old 350 engine, auto trans & axles swap, plus lotsa other things - mostly operation & safety to this point -totals right at about $ 7,900 for me.

What's it worth ? Probably half that, if I was lucky, given that it still "needs" interior work, some minor rust repair, full re-wire or extensive electrical re-do, bed wood, AC, etc, etc, etc. It never stops.

But who's counting ? You have to plan on losing/spending significant money to jump into doing one of these, but it's still way more fun and way less loss than buying a new car or truck........ And the new econo-boxes don't EVER get "the look" & the thumbs-up that cruising in one of ours ALWAYS does.

Like Chrislehr said at the start of this thread: "Im far more happy to buy a 3k vehicle and watch the "value" increase then a 35k new vehicle worth 25k with 1 mile on it."
Attached Images

Last edited by 68shortstep; 07-19-2008 at 10:53 AM.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #17
Sinisterspeed

I originally tried to keep track. Now I can just think back at the items I can remember I bought, and its to much in itself. If I actually knew I would probably just stop now and part it out.
I prioritize it like this myself. I can have anything I want it just takes time. I have to balance how much time it takes with how much it costs to do the next step. I usually just keep going until I run out of money or parts again then it just sits until I can save some money for the next big purchase again.
Right now its been 7 years on this one and probably approaching 20k. Its at the paint shop right now and I am bracing myself for the outcome.

If I kept track I would probably see the error of my ways. For now I just stay with the ideology of :
If I start it I finish it.
and :
If I can think of it, I can build it.

70 GMC Longhorn (A.K.A Money Bucket)
57 Chev 3100
05 Chevy LLY Dmax.
67 Chevy Camaro

Dad's Budget Build 55

My Longhorn Build
Sinisterspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:43 PM   #18
pmpski_1

I keep track with most of my vehicles, mostly just to see how much it costs me per mile. I haven't added up all the reciepts for the truck yet.

I have a motorcyle that I don't ride often enough, so the spreadsheet is a little reminder for me to go out and reduce the cost per mile by putting more mileage on it!
pmpski_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:45 PM   #19
cameeks
Long Fleet Club

I made a list just to keep me on track with what I planed to do in the beginning. That way I dont get side tracked.

'69 Chevy Custom/10 Long Bed <-- Thread of the work I did before selling.
Truck is now finished to the new owners design and running around.
I was shown some pictures of the finished product. At least it survived the junk yard.

FAQ Index by Krue Site Vendors Subscribe Here Forum Rules
cameeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:48 PM   #20
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKYARD88 View Post
I save all of my receipts but I refuse to add them up until I get finished. Hopefully I'll still be young to keep from having a heart attack when I do
Haha same here. I just have a folder that I put all of my receipts into. I have a ledger for the used parts I buy in there too. It's mostly for me to look at when I'm done and see where I could spend more efficiently on the next project.

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 01:01 PM   #21
whatnow123

I tracked mine and (gulp) went way over what I thought I'd be into it for and I'm still not done.

Build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=219094
whatnow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I have a basic understanding of what I have in mine.It's a little more than I would have in improvements to a new truck but a lot less than a H2.I figger if it ain't writ down the QOV can't complain.I also upgrade instead of repairing so I would have a lot less in it if I just fixed stuff.I still haven't started paint and body so When completed I will probably have about half a new vehicle in it,plus lots of sweat equity.I do sell my labor to me pretty cheap though.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:54 PM   #23
Pont406

I have 2k in my 69 including a purchase price. I still need to do suspension and tires. I am starting to think that I got ripped off. Probably another grand or so but it's at least twice cheaper to play with compare to my other toy.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #24
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I have a very good idea, and to appease my bride, I don't tell her anything. Her first husband (deceased) was a womanizing, pool-playing, beer-drinker and I don't do any of that....well, maybe a beer every other month or three...if I am hot from mowing the yard....and it's a really, really, really cold beer.

She asked me how much it would take to get it in the shape I wanted to be in, back in Nov. 99. I told her that I would probably have as much in it as a new truck by the time I got through. I ain't through and trucks keep gettin' pricier. Yaaaahooooooo!!

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 PM   #25
jayharrell
Gettin By on Gettin By

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
If I did ............. and my wife were to find it .............
I'm with yah on that one...

"Adios to all the concrete; Gonna get me some dirt road back streets"
jayharrell is offline   Reply With Quote